Poll: With what we know, where will we be seeded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tyra
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Poll: With what we know, where will we be seeded?

With what we know right now, where do you think we will be seeded?
    54.55%
    38.64%
    1.14%
    1.14%
    Other?
    4.55%
  • MedZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I think if the comittee met tomorrow, we'd be a 4.

Still have a hunch we'll land a 4.

But the BCS tourneys have a way of sucking up a lot of press in coming week, and there WILL be shakeups, bounces, and falls in seeding.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

I'm changing my earlier opinion (which was a 5 a month or two ago), as well as last weeks opinion (a 3 seed. I was too emotional at the time) to a #4 seed. The reason I am changing is that the Zags have shown me that they are playing quite a bit better than I even imagined. They were pretty impressive this weekend. I think the fact that we've only lost one game since January will really help get a good seed. We desrve a 4 seed because it assures us that we will be in Portland or Boise, and that's what we deserve. This Zag team started out great, had some road bumps along the way which helped us get better. We are back playing at least as well as we were at the beginning of the year when we were in 5th I think in the polls. We could be there again I think. I believe we will finish in the top 10 which is where we should be.

The only thing that keeps us from a 3 seed I think is our weak conference, especially without Mills and Johnson (San Diego). Santa Clara was a solid team this year, and last year we barely beat them in the conference tournament. We beat them by 35 or 40 this year.
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• gu03alum
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

There is no option for 1 seed.
        Bring back the OCC

Comment

• FieldHouseFishHouse
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2009

I think a 50% chance at a 5 seed. 25% chance for 4 or 6. Side prediction: If the Zags get a 4, SMC gets a 12. If Zags get a 6, SMC gets a home game in the NIT.
          Last edited by FieldHouseFishHouse; 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM. Reason: Forgot they stopped doing 1st round byes last year in the NIT

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Why I think we deserve a #3 seed

I know I voted for a #4 seed but honestly, I believe we should be a #3 seed if the Huskies do not win the PAC 10 tournament, which they won't do, imo. Of all the rankings that exist today, I like Ken Pomeroy's the best. In his rankings Gonzaga is #5 in the Nation, ahead of both UW #14 and UCLA #7. I also feel the Pac 10 is a lot stronger conference then it is given. Ken Pom clearly agrees. The Pac 10, according to Ken Pom should have 6 teams in the NCAA and Not 5. It's really hard for me to accept Lunardi's bracketology where he gives the Big 10 eight frickin teams in the tournament.

Ken Pomeroys sysem also favors teams that lose close games against quality opponents over teams that slaughter teams who really aren't ranked that high. This is exactly how I feel about Gonzaga's losses. We lost to UCONN in overtime on a neutral court. We lost to ARIZONA by 5, Utah by 1 on their home court. These were not bad losses at all. Gonzaga could have easily won all three of those games. Portland St. was a bad loss but they also beat the UW (I think).

Gonzaga has the #1 strength of schedule for non conference games over all the top 20 teams. We have the 2nd (tied) toughest strength of schedule overall. Memphis has the #1. Gonzaga has the 6th highest overall ranking for offense and the 10th for defense. These statistics are all higher than any pac 10 team.

I believe that a factor that will truly help Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament is our strength of schedule in non conference games, and the fact that GU has played so many games away from home, and most of which were on neutral courts. AS has been mentioned, most BIS schools do not do this, and as we've seen this year, most of these schools lose on the road this year. We all know that playing and winning on the road is very very difficult no matter what conference you play in. So being undefeated in conference play I believe is a big statistic. And there are only two teams who had undefeated play in conference and that is Memphis and GU. And Memphis is going to be a #1 seed I think, and are ranked #1 on Ken Pom.

I believe that Gonzaga is the best team in the West and should be treated like it. One thing I heard yesterday by an analyst of bracketology was that when they first go through the rankings of teams they DO NOT look at which conference they play in. I think that could help Gonzaga.
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2008

I don't see how we get less than a #4 with the blowout of SMC. A #3 is probably not in the cards, and we can thank the the rest of a fairly weak WCC for that.
              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• UberZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FieldHouseFishHouse View Post
                I think a 50% chance at a 5 seed. 25% chance for 4 or 6.
                Uber thinks that is pretty spot on.
                If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• IrishZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by UberZagFan View Post
                  Uber thinks that is pretty spot on.
                  Irish agrees with Uber.... (what else is new?)
                  IZF
                  Keep out of the Foo, unless you know what you are fooing.......

Comment

• MississppiZag
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • May 2008

5% chance we snag a 3 seed, 95% chance we get a 4 seed.

The 3 seed is only obtainable if Washington loses their first game in the conference tourney. I don't see that happening. Doesn't mean I won't be rooting for it. I would be surprised if we were given a 5, but a 6 will not happen.
                    "I enjoyed watching them play more than watching us play," Izzo said after watching his team eke out a 75-71 win over Gonzaga. "I thought they punched us in the mouth, picked us up and punched us in the mouth again."

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

More pure speculation for entertainment purposes only: I think a 3 seed is not out of the question, and as I'm a hopeless optimist, I would have voted for such if it were an option. Here's my breakdown (remember pure speculation):

3 seed 10%
                      4 seed 65%
                      5 seed 20%
                      6 seed 5% -- I double dog dare the committee to hang us with a six!
                      It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• KOzag08
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Jan 2009

I want the #3 seed in Portland or the 4 seed in in Boise. Either way, I just want it to be in the West Bracket. We go 26-5, undefeated in conference play, and blowout teams in our tourney. Don't we at least deserve this much!?

Comment

• johnwzag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by NotoriousZ View Post
                          More pure speculation for entertainment purposes only: I think a 3 seed is not out of the question, and as I'm a hopeless optimist, I would have voted for such if it were an option. Here's my breakdown (remember pure speculation):

3 seed 10%
                          4 seed 65%
                          5 seed 20%
                          6 seed 5% -- I double dog dare the committee to hang us with a six!

JWZ agrees
                          When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

• kclubfounder
                            Zag for Life
                            • Aug 2007

I also agree with the notorious one.

Comment

• zagking
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Dec 2008

4 in boise would be close to ideal

Comment

Working...