PDA

View Full Version : One team I DONT want to see in the first round

Nevtelen
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
...is N Dakota St. No kidding - announcers said they were the 2nd best 3-pt shooting team in the country this year, are rolling through a huge win streak (including their conf championship which they won tonight), and have lots of seniors on the roster as well as a guard (Woodside) who put up I believe 60 pts in a game earlier in the season (wnd was totally clutch in bringing his team back from a 13 pt deficit to win the championship tonight). I believe I saw them being projected as a 13 seed, which would work out if we are a 4. Probably the worst 13 seed match-up the Zags could get IMO.

outrunu
03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
...is N Dakota St. No kidding - announcers said they were the 2nd best 3-pt shooting team in the country this year, are rolling through a huge win streak (including their conf championship which they won tonight), and have lots of seniors on the roster as well as a guard (Woodside) who put up I believe 60 pts in a game earlier in the season (wnd was totally clutch in bringing his team back from a 13 pt deficit to win the championship tonight). I believe I saw them being projected as a 13 seed, which would work out if we are a 4. Probably the worst 13 seed match-up the Zags could get IMO.
This scenario could only happen if the game were to be played in Fargo.

GamblingZag
03-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Not to mention they're 68 in pomeroy. That's very good for about a 13 seed. For reference San Diego finished 113 last year in Pomeroy when they beat UConn in the first round.

SanDiegoZag
03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I would add Cleveland State to that list as a potential 13 seed after their win over Butler tonight...

I still hope the Zags get a 6th seed and use that as motivation going into the tourney. Not to mention they would avoid the 1 seed if they make it to the Sweet 16.

Reborn
03-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I kind of doubt that the Zags will be a 6 seed now. They're playing too dang good. It's looking more like a 4-5 out West. I really like the Zag team, and how we're playing right now. Anyone who watched us totally destroy two good teams this weekend probably has a lot of fear running through their veins. The Zags' offense has become so cohesive and fluid that it's just destroying teams. There seems to be no solution. The Zags are running their offensive sets like a professional team, and it's been so hard to defend our pick and roll, pick and pop, and "oh my God it's a back door" play. They are going at opponents from so many different angles. And the guys are having fun while doing it.

I've lost all fear. These Zags have certainly helped me as they have demonstrated who they are. I'm not afraid of North Dakota St. Or Cleveland St. Do I respect them. Heck yea. WE all had better. Are they good enough to beat us. IF we don't play our game, yes. Anyone of the 64 teams can beat anyone. Are we just to live in fear until round 1 ends? Or round 2? That has ALWAYS been what has made March Madness so insane. This Zag team is not last years, or the years before. I can see that so clearly now, and I think you all should be able to see it too. This team is much much much better. This team is led by 4 Seniors who've been through those dark years, and I believe have learned the needed lessons to correct the mistakes. I will let Providence do it's work, and whoever it is we play, I will be dang happy to play them, and confident that the Zags will prevail in round 1. They are that good this year. Let the games begin....... I can hardly wait.

CB4
03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
ND State, really? Come on now brother. The Zags will be in Portland or Boise so I really don't think N. Dakota or even Cleveland State would be a problem. If it happened to turn out where we played Cleveland in Ohio (or Davidson in NC) then yeah, we might be justified to have a few worries.

After watching the Vegas Zags I honestly don't think a brick wall can stop us at this point. I know I made a comment a while ago about Pargo and I got some heavy criticism for it but I mentioned that the way Pargo plays in March is all that really matters; so far, he's been unbelievable and a great leader to carry us into the tournament.

I think it's rather ridiculous that you DON'T want to see ND state in the first round, we are hot.

Nevtelen
03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm not saying necessarily that the team is going to lose in the first round. But if I look at all the possible 13 seeds GU might draw and the weaknesses this GU team has shown, a tough, expert 3-pt shooting, senior-laden squad is a team that plays directly to this team's weaknesses and the last team I'd want to see. Sort of like 3 years ago when GU drew a hot Xavier team in the first round. We won, but it was an absolute grinder and very close until the end.

I have the Cleveland St/Butler game on the U going in the background right now - the Vikings are probably too good for a 13 seed. A 12 at worst IMO.

wiszag
03-11-2009, 03:29 AM
Saul Phillips is a really good coach. It'd be hard to cheer against any coach who I've drank beers with in Jack and Dan's. Saul came there with the other Badger assistant coaches when Wisconsin played at the Arena about 5 or 6 years ago for the first round of the NCAA tourney. He's a really good guy and coached that team to wins over Wisconsin and Marquette during the transitional phase to D I.

The talent disparity between GU and NDSU is vast but I'd rather see the Zags play a less appealing team.

seasontixholder
03-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Teams that advance need the No Fear mentality, but their fans don't. :D

That being said, this team is so much superior to last year's team that played a hot Davidson on equal terms. Is NDSt. better than that Davidson? Hardly.

All Gonzaga has to do is sell out on defense. Repeat, sell out. Get a team like this running faster than they've done before and watch it hit a wall. Like St. Mary's did with about 5 min to go in the first half. After that, they were vulnerable.

4AmericasTeam
03-11-2009, 05:25 AM
NDSU is a nice team but they lack the inside firepower to compete with teams of Sweet 16 caliber, IMO.

seasontixholder
03-11-2009, 05:39 AM
NDSU is a nice team but they lack the inside firepower to compete with teams of Sweet 16 caliber, IMO.

Correct. And having to rely on their guards to cover the shortfall.

But those guards will be facing a different animal with GU. They'll be playing nearly 40 minutes in order to compete. But how many times in their league have they seen the second string consist of players like Goodson and Gray coming off the bench? And running at top speed for those 40 minutes? Those 3 pt averages will be plummeting once fatigue takes over.

Of course, the premise is that GU will play hard from the start, not something that always happens...

zagnut52
03-11-2009, 06:05 AM
All I know is, if the Zags continue to play the way they did this past weekend, and maybe even step it up to another level, I know I wouldn't want to be playing Gonzaga. Go ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

23dpg
03-11-2009, 06:31 AM
My buddy is a ND State grad so we went to Buffalo Wild Wings in downtown Portland to watch the game. In addition to this being the biggest game in the history of NDSt, it was also my friends birthday.

There were 7 of us in the place and it was very cool. With about 4 minutes left in the game, the manager turned most of the TVs to the Bison game and turned on the sound on the overhead. Needless to say, we all went nuts at the end. (We were actually nuts during the entire game)

I hope we don't face them in the first round, not because I'm overly concerned about them, but I would really like to see them win a game. I think they do have a puncher's chance.

Reborn
03-11-2009, 06:59 AM
I hope we don't face them in the first round, not because I'm overly concerned about them, but I would really like to see them win a game. I think they do have a puncher's chance.

I definitely agree with you 23dpg. I hope we don't play any of the mid-majors in the first round. I'd prefer one of the lower BIS schools. I'd like to play a team like Wisconsin or Providence or Penn State, a SEC school like Florida or South Carolina, or a Big 12 school like Texas or Texas A&M.

I don't like seeing Mid Majors playing each other in the first round like last year when Gonzaga played Davidson. It's an unfair conspiracy by the Major, BIS, conferences to knock out the small mid-major universities as early as possilbe. I think pairing Mid-Majors agains Major Universities would make the match-ups more interesting and more exciting.

ZagLawGrad
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I think the Zags would literally kill any of the teams like ND State and Cleveland St.