PDA

View Full Version : WAC copying WCC to Orleans

GoZags
03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
and it appears that the WCC will pick up the 3 year option it has (somehow I'd heard it was a 10 year deal -- but I've been unable to locate anything that verifies that).

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/now-and-then/2009/mar/10/wac-eyes-orleans-2011/

"Darren Davis, the new Orleans Arena director, said if the WCC doesn't return it would be a bigger upset than Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson. He said the WCC has until June 1 to exercise its option.

"My feeling is it will be done way before that," Davis said."

RenoZag
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I thought I read on this board ( via a link to a WCC presser ? ) that the WCC deal with the Orleans was a four year deal, the first one (2009) was a lock and the conference had an option for the following three years; my memory is the Conference wanted to 'wait and see' how year one turned out.

Edited to add:

Story Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9299730/WCC-tournament-takes-show-on-road-)

Beginning today, the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas represents a testing ground for change. The WCC has a one-year agreement with the Orleans and an option for the next three years. It remains to be seen if the arrangement will be permanent, but so far players and coaches throughout the league approve of the move.

"It's the right thing to do for the student-athlete," Gaels coach Randy Bennett said. "It's fair. You get four chances to go to the NCAA Tournament as a college athlete. You should get four fair chances."

Fairness, or a lack thereof, has long been the biggest gripe. Gonzaga coach Mark Few heard plenty of grumblings when the Zags were given hosting rights in 2006. At the time, Gonzaga had won back-to-back tournament titles, and some were critical of holding the event at the McCarthey Athletic Center in Spokane, Wash., where the Zags continue to dominate.

Though Gonzaga did win it all, defeating Loyola Marymount 68-67, playing at home hasn't always been an automatic path to the championship. Indeed, no host school had won the tournament title until 2003, when San Diego beat the Zags 72-63 at Jenny Craig Pavilion.

"It's a great deal," Few said. "It's never been fair, and that should be the No. 1 criteria."

Fairness is just one of the benefits of the new setup. According to WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich, taking the tournament to a neutral site is one more way of adding legitimacy and exposure to the league, allowing it to follow a trend that power conferences such as the Big East , SEC and Big Ten have done for years.

At the same time, doing so also represented a risky proposition. Choosing a neutral site wipes out the fan base that a host school guarantees. Gonzaga has proven fan support wherever it goes, but would other programs generate the same interest?

Zaninovich admits attendance was an early concern. So much so, conference officials figured if they could sell 5,000 tickets, they would call the tournament a success. Tickets went on sale to the general public in October, and three months later, the conference reached its goal. Earlier this week, the WCC announced that all-session tickets for the event were sold out.

El Voce
03-10-2009, 08:33 PM
It was a great venue for the tournament, with sold out games the final two nights. The WCC would be nuts not to renew!

Bocco
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
It was a great venue for the tournament, with sold out games the final two nights. The WCC would be nuts not to renew!

I'll second that. One of the articles in the Las Vegas paper said the WCC when it committed to playing at the Orleans Arena hoped to sell 6000 tickets and were estatic to have sold the place out. Not to return would be stupid.

zagcougmama
03-11-2009, 07:27 PM
We thought the venue was perfect! More low keyed than the "strip" which suited us just fine. Convinced that if the 2010 tickets went on sale tomorrow (for the Orleans) it would be a sell out in no time. In terms of committing to the Orleans for 2010....seems like a no-brainer. Win-Win for all in our minds.

seasontixholder
03-12-2009, 06:03 AM
By strictly accounting standards, the WCC tournament was a success. By fairness standards, it was better than years past.

However, I think that the rest of the league is still frustrated. They are dominated by the big guy up north, and the tournament was overpopulated by Zag fans. They will be dissatisfied until the rest of the league buys into the sport.

Of course, that is dependent upon them getting more competitive, but the scene at the tournament depressed any realistic hope of that happening soon. Being swamped by the "enemy" and its hordes is a downer.

If turnout was the only criterium, renewal is a no-brainer. But one-sided turnout - to the 7 other schools - is part of the problem, not the solution. For example, had the 2006 tournament been held in the Spokane Arena, the big games would have sold out easily. But that is not what the league in toto is aiming for. Instead, they will still be looking for ways to blunt GU. And with a history of shooting itself in the foot, the league might decide to do something that seems counterproductive to any sensible person.

Birddog
03-12-2009, 06:23 AM
And with a history of shooting itself in the foot, the league might decide to do something that seems counterproductive to any sensible person. That sounds like gov't in action.

Let's hope that sensible people prevail. Perhaps Fr Spitzer can go on the lecture circuit or become a consultant and give some advice to the other member schools after his retirement.

If the "evils of gambling" has anything to do with the decision, then I'm calling a foul. The American Roman Catholic Church has always condoned if not encouraged gambling (think BINGO and "The Rhythm Method"). Pepp on the other hand (Church of Christ) may not sing the praises of same and for sure would not be singing with any accompanying instruments.

LongIslandZagFan
03-12-2009, 07:00 AM
By strictly accounting standards, the WCC tournament was a success. By fairness standards, it was better than years past.

However, I think that the rest of the league is still frustrated. They are dominated by the big guy up north, and the tournament was overpopulated by Zag fans. They will be dissatisfied until the rest of the league buys into the sport.

Of course, that is dependent upon them getting more competitive, but the scene at the tournament depressed any realistic hope of that happening soon. Being swamped by the "enemy" and its hordes is a downer.

If turnout was the only criterium, renewal is a no-brainer. But one-sided turnout - to the 7 other schools - is part of the problem, not the solution. For example, had the 2006 tournament been held in the Spokane Arena, the big games would have sold out easily. But that is not what the league in toto is aiming for. Instead, they will still be looking for ways to blunt GU. And with a history of shooting itself in the foot, the league might decide to do something that seems counterproductive to any sensible person.

I completely agree with you... but at what point does it become GU's fault that their fans travel better than other teams in the conference. In all reality, we did descend on Vegas like a swarm of locust.

Shanachie
03-12-2009, 07:10 AM
If the "evils of gambling" has anything to do with the decision, then I'm calling a foul. The American Roman Catholic Church has always condoned if not encouraged gambling (think BINGO and "The Rhythm Method"). Pepp on the other hand (Church of Christ) may not sing the praises of same and for sure would not be singing with any accompanying instruments.

I was a skeptic when the WCC first announced the Las Vegas thing, but after attending, I'm a believer. Fun time, great venue, and yes, about as fair as you can get.

The only thing I can think of that could derail a renewal would be if there were any significant incidents involving students of any of the schools and the vices that Las Vegas has to offer. Something like that could diminish the enthusiasm of any shool's administration (not just Pepperdine's). I haven't heard about anything like that, so I'm guessing the conference will renew.

gueastcoast
03-12-2009, 07:54 AM
The only thing I can think of that could derail a renewal would be if there were any significant incidents involving students of any of the schools and the vices that Las Vegas has to offer. Something like that could diminish the enthusiasm of any shool's administration (not just Pepperdine's). I haven't heard about anything like that, so I'm guessing the conference will renew.

A fair point, but college kids can find trouble in just about any medium-sized or larger city with a venue large enough to host the tourney. The optics are probably helped a bit by the Orleans being off the strip.

I really hope the league renews -- I think it was a great event top to bottom -- and the rest of the league needs to get over the fact that we travel well and suck it up and INVEST IN THEIR BB PROGRAMS.

Rant over.

Shanachie
03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
A fair point, but college kids can find trouble in just about any medium-sized or larger city with a venue large enough to host the tourney. The optics are probably helped a bit by the Orleans being off the strip.

Yeah, it's probably harder to get in trouble in Las Vegas because so much is accepted there that would be frowned on elsewhere.

Curt Ranta
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Pilot fan here. I agree that Vegas was a great time, and am looking forward to going next year. However, I don't really think the sentiment that we are frustrated at you that too many zag fans are at the tournmanet is true.

First, I was impressed with the number of zag fans, but I have been to multiple WCC tournaments and knew it was coming. I think we all know that whereever the tournament is, there will be a majority of zag fans. You all travel well. What I get frustrated at is that there weren't more portland fans, in particular students. Most of the portland "student" section was made up of younger alumni in fact. I think given the great time had by all the portland fans in attendance, word of mouth will be able to bring more next year. I just don't think there is animosity over the fact that you travel well. Perhaps there is animosity about other things, but not at the way you travel to the conference tournament. Frankly, it sets a good example for the rest of the conference.