PDA

View Full Version : Does Patty Mills go the NBA or return next year?

AzZag
03-10-2009, 07:53 PM
His stock, sadly due to a bad break, has really plummeted.
He, and St Mary's, is making the DOW look good :p
I am wondering if he returns next year or tries for the league this year.

Thoughts?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Another year in Moraga would certainly help Patty. He needs a more consistent jumper, and he has to learn not to force up bad shots in the lane. Considering how easily he can get into the paint, he shoot be shooting closer to 50% from the floor. Patty could probably learn a lot by watching Tony Parker; TP seems to have a similar skill set and similar size. With that being said, I think college is the place to learn those things. With the Gaels, he'll be playing 30+ minutes per night; and in the NBA, he'll be, at least initially, sitting on the bench and watching.

gamagin
03-10-2009, 08:15 PM
than talent so far and needs more college development time if he hopes to make a long career in the bigs.

ZagSlug
03-10-2009, 08:24 PM
The NBA seems to still gamble on potential, he still might be a first rounder this year.

He is ahead of Jeremy in most of the rankings/mock drafts that I have seen.

Zag 77
03-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I sure don't want to have to deal with him next year. He is just darned good when he is healthy.

AzZag
03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
He's proven he's got the moxie to be a first round player, but he has holes in his game. He's quite similar to Pargo, but with better play making and a slightly worse crossover. They both hit at a decent rate with their open outside shots, but neither is a true shooter. They are both gregarious leaders, but Mills has a slight edge in his approach. Mills needs another year to polish his point skills. Mills could put himself into the lottery if he addresses his weaknesses.

Heytvelt is starting to remind me of Marcus Camby. Except without the rebounding, which lowers his stock more than anything else. Bouldin is playing himself into the second round, and if his game takes another jump next year then he could be a first rounder. Downs is earning himself a contract somewhere.

St. Mary's needs to destroy Eastern Washington, or they'll have a tough time convincing the selection committee that they are in. My guess is that they will, and they'll dance. The committee is understanding of injuries. St. Mary's doesn't have the depth of Gonzaga, but with a fully healthy roster they belong on the same court.

Two things:

1. I feel pretty cool starting a thread that has utilized the word gregarious. It is a word that make one think it meant a hairy Omar Samhan. :)

2. I respectfully have to disagree with your Josh/Marcus Camby comparison. Of any NBA player, Camby would be one that I would think not to relate to Josh. Josh can flat out shoot the ball from all angles. Camby, with his two handed hammer throw to the basket, couldn't do anything but dunk. His shot and Shawn Marion's make me laugh every time. I'd say Josh's game reminds me a lot of Brad Miller's. Except Miller was stronger with his post moves.

El Voce
03-10-2009, 10:09 PM
My best guess, after discussing the issue with several Gael faithful, is that Mills will probably follow the same path Pargo took. I think he will see if he's a guaranteed first rounder, but will not hire an agent, and will keep open the option of returning to SMC next fall.

MedZag
03-10-2009, 10:50 PM
NBA loves Patty. The Olympics did more for his draft stock than this season ever could do (or undue). Same with Ricky Rubio.

If Patty declares he'll be a top 1/2 of the 1st rounder.

But I got this gut feeling he comes back. Can't explain it, and can't justify it beyond the cliches (this kid seems like he loves college, its a competitor, seems loyal to his program). But a gut feeling.

TrueLiz
03-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I've read & seen a lot that said the biggest issue scouts have is wondering how players will actually look when they are playing against NBA players, and Patty is the one guy they've seen do that already, and they were thoroughly impressed. Sporting news a month or so ago (or maybe ESPN the Mag) had a bunch of the US players talking about how great he was. He's easily a first rounder if he goes, even with the things he needs to work on still.

But I hope he comes back. I would honestly prefer a stronger WCC to another perfect conference season. Zags get more respect from national media when there is real competition, like they had to start the season when San Diego was supposed to shine, and then St. Mary's had the expectations.

DrDrivel
03-11-2009, 04:00 AM
1st half of the 1st round? Eeeh... let's slow down a little.

And also, Marcus Camby has really solid percentages on his baseline and top-of-the-key jumpers. He even has a decent 3pt percentage (on very small sample size, of course). I thought it was a goofy comparison, too, but not because of his alleged shooting deficiencies.

CanadianZagFan
03-11-2009, 05:04 AM

And also, Marcus Camby has really solid percentages on his baseline and top-of-the-key jumpers. He even has a decent 3pt percentage (on very small sample size, of course). I thought it was a goofy comparison, too, but not because of his alleged shooting deficiencies.

I see Josh as a poor man's Lamarcus Aldridge, good scorers, not great rebounders.

There are plenty of point guards that could go early this year if they come out, Lawson, Jennings, Teague, Curry (1/2), Flynn, and Rubio. Add in seniors like Maynor and Collison and it looks tough to get in the first round. If Mills get rolling and explodes vs. EW and in the 1 or two games he gets in the tournament then maybe he goes, if he plays average at best he stays!

seasontixholder
03-11-2009, 06:32 AM
One thing that Mills has eliminated already is the doubt that he can play with the pros. How many other draftees can say that?

MedZag
03-11-2009, 08:08 AM

No hyperbole or exaggeration. I think the NBA-heads love him that much.

bballbeachbum
03-11-2009, 08:13 AM
The guy is a true talent and has already proven himself vs. the NBA guys, as mentioned, and that has got to be a big deal. Somebody's going to take him. Imagine him coming off the bench with that speed and energy, and, most importantly, that ability he has.

In my head, it's a forgone conclusion that he's gone. The ultimate deciding factor imo is his injury, and the fear motivation it provides; why risk some other injury in one more year of college when the opportunity to get an NBA contract exists presently?

I truly believe that any of the top NBA teams, like maybe the last 10 picks in the draft, would be very happy to add Mills as an impact player off the bench....

The argument that he struggles with his shot doesn't fly. He's proven he can get it rolling, so gaining consistancy is just a matter of practice.

His game reminds me very much of Tony Parker. Who doesn't want that? Imagine him in a Spurs uniform, a Celtics uni, or playing next to DWade or LeBron? Whoa............

But what do I know? (that statement is like making myself into a pinata--hit away!)

77Zag
03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
NBA loves Patty. The Olympics did more for his draft stock than this season ever could do (or undue). Same with Ricky Rubio.

If Patty declares he'll be a top 1/2 of the 1st rounder.

But I got this gut feeling he comes back. Can't explain it, and can't justify it beyond the cliches (this kid seems like he loves college, its a competitor, seems loyal to his program). But a gut feeling.

Med - you are right on with respect to the Olympics -- he ate them alive and made many scouts have a burning desire. I do think your gut feeling is wrong.
He will jump - money and the loss of a few key seniors and he's out of SMC.

The injury this year proved out the theory, if money is on the table, and a first round pick awaits, he's going for the moola. I also think the scouts and teams of the NBA will not wait if they can grab him now.

Colbyspapa
03-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Is a guaranteed contract for three years for anywhere from $4MM to $1.6MM per year. He is one of the three best point guards in the draft. He's gone. Some agent from IMG will convince him that he is a lottery pick. You can't really blame him. They lose Simpson and Samhan this year.

former1dog
03-11-2009, 09:59 AM
They lose Simpson and Samhan this year.

Samhan is a junior.

Airball
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Sat on the floor in Vegas with big SMC boosters in the know...the guy sitting next to me said "He's gone for sure"

jpwils
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Mills does not quite fit the mold of the scared cat that jumps for the sure money. He is a first-rounder now, after ample rehab. Needs practice and reps
on shot but as a penetrator, he is in a league of his own.

It might appear that way( he will jump now)- but with Samhan returning and new recruits coming in, he may return for one final season...my gut tells me he may return.

kclubfounder
03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
It most likely depends on his family's financial condition at least in part - or perhaps in full.

kclubfounder
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Also, his Olympic performance improved his stock. Sure, that goes without saying. But what it really did was give him the confidence he is ready now and doesn't need another year to get prepared.

75Zag
03-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I hope this young man takes advantage of the opportunity to jump to the NBA and that he has great success in the pros. The WCC would benefit from producing more NBA players to boost the reputation of the conference and its programs.

Go Bulldogs! Beat The Next Guys!

hondo46
03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't want to have to worry about him next year but on the other hand it sure is fun to watch him play this game and he is a real credit to our league.

former1dog
03-11-2009, 06:27 PM
IMO if he has an indication that he is going to be a top half first round draft choice and his parents aren't filthy rich it would be ill advised not for him to enter the draft.