PDA

View Full Version : Keep things in perspective folks

CDC84
03-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Gonzaga was brilliant in Las Vegas, and they might be entering March Madness playing their best ball of the season. The statistics are overwhelming: they're in the top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, they lead the nation defensive field goal percentage, they shoot 48.7% from the floor, etc.

But this is also a program that has been knocked out of the NCAA tourney the last 2 years in the 1st round, and a program that has allowed several opponents in recent years to make huge comebacks after the Zags had established comfortable leads. It's a team that has displayed very little toughness or intestinal fortitude in the NCAA tournament in recent times.

I don't want sound as if I am spoiling the party, but we need to keep things in perspective. It's a round by round proposition with this team. And I still have major worries about Gonzaga's lack of depth along the frontline, and their ability to withstand a war of attrition against teams like Pitt, North Carolina, etc. - even if they play well and with more hunger than they displayed against Memphis. But right now I am not concerned about those teams, because it's looking like Gonzaga won't be seeing them in rounds 1 or 2.

rennis
03-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm hoping we see one of those teams in say, round 4. ;)

lothar98zag
03-10-2009, 11:51 AM
:agreed:

While this weekend has reminded all of us how high this team's ceiling is, we shouldn't forget that their floor (i.e. Memphis) is still a lot lower than most of us want it to be...

Nevtelen
03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Agreed - this team can totally dominate other teams at times, but their track record recently when being punched in the mouth is not so hot. There is no question that this team will get punched in the mouth repeatedly in the NCAAs - one of the leading scorers will have an off day, foul trouble, a bad start will rear it's ugly head, something. Maybe multiple somethings in the same game. How will they respond? That, for me, is the real test. And we have no idea. The personnel are there (for the most part - agree the front line is thin). SMC is an NCAA-caliber team, but they didn't play like it last night. What happens when GU faces a team that is also hungry and clicking on all cylinders?

cggonzaga
03-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Sounds like coach's spin to me but nevertheless. As well as we played this weekend a lot can change over the course of the next week and a half of not playing a game. I hate this long layoff. Maybe we should play EWU on Thursday! Also, we have yet to beat a top team this year.

CDC84
03-10-2009, 12:03 PM
At the same time, this Gonzaga team could be the one that makes the tough plays, gets the big stops, etc. It wouldn't shock me if they proved the doubters wrong. But we just don't know yet how these guys will respond. All I know is that Gonzaga is entering the tournament on a high note.

MDABE80
03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
There will be RUST! Huge team showed up in Vegas against some decent teams. The kids have some time off now.no games for 8 or 9 days. Keep our expectations in check.even though I'd like to be on cloud 9 for the full week.

I don't care so much about the past few years unless the performance has suffered largely because of the same amount of time off between the WCC tourney and the NCAA tourney. RUST!! <-- Abe hates this.

With the proposed seeding, we'll have some teams to play that might not be in the E8 category. This may help. Didn't the past few years though. 3 years since the swt 16 which should have been an E 8. Then we had a good guard (Derek), a good forward shooter(Adam) and a big time kid (JP Batista) inside. Not enough balance but good players. This year we have balance WITH some amazing talent. Hope Coach keeps them busy.

TacomaZAG
03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
of one game seasons from now on. As has been said earlier on this thread, the team's ceiling is very high and it's floor is pretty low. True enough, but that can be said about any team this year. We are playing our best basketball of the season right now and that can't be said of the previous 2 or 3 editions of the Zags. Also, our defense will keep us in a lot of games that we would have lost in the past, and that can't be said of the previous 2 or 3 editions of the Zags either.

I hate this layoff also, it would be nice to keep it rolling, but that's the way it is.

WCC Regular Season Champions = done
WCC Tournament Champions = done
Good Seed in either Portland or Boise = should be 4 or 5

After that, who knows???? We have the horses, everyone starts at 0-0. I like our chances against anyone in a one game season.

Agreed, let's keep everything in perspective, even perspective.........

Go ZAGS

2Zags3Pups
03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
I have been concerned about the lack of frontcourt depth as well. And with all of the talk on here about Sacre burning his redshirt, it's evident many others are as well. However, if you look at the foul trouble that we've been in this year, they have not done too bad. Austin, Matt, Micah, and Meech are the only ones to foul out of game's this year and only did once each. Josh did not foul out once. He has really done a great job of playing solid to great defense without getting into foul trouble.

bballbeachbum
03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
75Zag posted this in another thread, but it seemed worthy of quotation here

I prefer to proceed one game at a time, and cheer my heart out over each potential victory.

Hope is great. Optimism is great. Reality is what it is.

Go Bulldogs. Beat the Next Guys!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

kitzbuel
03-10-2009, 01:03 PM
At the same time, this Gonzaga team could be the one that makes the tough plays, gets the big stops, etc. It wouldn't shock me if they proved the doubters wrong. But we just don't know yet how these guys will respond. All I know is that Gonzaga is entering the tournament on a high note.

That is exactly why, when folks ask me now how I think the Zags will do this year, I say they will make it to the tourney. One game at a time.

Das Zagger
03-10-2009, 01:03 PM
With how well GU played in LV, I'm expecting the world of this team. Mark will get em coached up for a loooooong run in March and April.

One game at a time but I'm expecting a lot of games.

gu03alum
03-10-2009, 01:05 PM
There are a bunch of Debbie Downers on this thread. Can't we just enjoy a blowout win over one of our 'rivals?'

http://mamadance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/debbie_downer1.jpg

gamagin
03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
There are a bunch of Debbie Downers on this thread. Can't we just enjoy a blowout win over one of our 'rivals?'

http://mamadance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/debbie_downer1.jpg

not until we have been warmed not to be too happy or too sad or too blah blah blah.

imo, this IS the time to dream big. we are in. we advance from here or we don't. it's one and done for half the teams playing each and every day of the dance.

everyone has the same chance.

Of course sh!t can happen. It does every game, to one team or another.

But we could not be looking better, acting better or playing better.

So go ahead. Throw some confetti around. stop beating yourselves for a day. Think of large trophies and much happiness as a possibility.

help an old person cross the road. say a prayer of thanks.

and Go TEAM Zags !

former1dog
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Keep things in perspective.

What fun is that? :confused: ;)

MotoZag
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I'll keep my seat firmly planted on Cloud 9 and presume the best. I won't let all you realists spoil it for me, hehe :p

lothar98zag
03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Don't know about all of you, but I'm being a realist regarding GU (what they did in Vegas & what may happen soon) AND enjoying the view from cloud 9.

zagnut52
03-10-2009, 01:27 PM
We know for sure. Not counting any chickens before they hatch for sure. But have nothing from POSITIVE vibes bout the Zags!!!!:)

bballbeachbum
03-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Love this thread!

many ways to feel good it seems...All Good! I like the view from up here....

BobZag
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Let's all hope what happened in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas. ;)

kdaleb
03-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Let's all hope what happened in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas. ;)

He'll be here all week folks.

kclubfounder
03-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I just get tired of the constant reference to Gonzaga bowing out of the tournament 2 years in a row in the 1st round. We lost to Davidson - the darlings of the tournament, in a heart-breaker in their backyard at 9 AM our time. Anybody who points to that performance and uses it as proof that Gonzaga simply doesn't step up in the NCAA tournament is using a terrible example.

And 2 years ago we just weren't that good.

The Debbie Downer call is right on.

tyra
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I cling steadfastly to my perch on Cloud Nine after this weekend. Why? I was there and it was glorious. And here are other reasons:
1) The team played at peak performance.
2) I thought Micah earning Player of the Tourney was long overdue recognition for his contribution to this team.
3) A bit of vengance (yes, I think Coach Few earned Coach of the Year honors.)
4) And most importantly, the Zags took control of their own destiny to the degree they could in impressing the Selection Committee. I don't know what the team will do in the big tourney, but I know they finished the season in a fashion to maximize the position they are in.
5) It was glorious (oh yea, I already mentioned that).

CDC84
03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Anybody who points to that performance and uses it as proof that Gonzaga simply doesn't step up in the NCAA tournament is using a terrible example.

The issue wasn't that Gonzaga lost to Davidson, but that they blew not just one, but two double digit leads in the 2nd half. The Zags had chances to put the foot to the pedal, but they played scared. The 2005/06 Zags blew what was at that time the biggest lead in NCAA tournament history in their loss to UCLA. The 2004/05 Zags blew a big double digit lead to an inferior Texas Tech squad. The 2003/04 Zags didn't even show up against an inferior Nevada team. It's not just the losses, but more importantly, how they lost those games. Obviously, the 2006/07 Zags played to their potential given the circumstances. They had to go to heroic lengths to even make the tournament.

All I am saying is that the Zags have something to prove, and that all this tournament failure talk is not going away on a national basis until the Zags do something big in the dance. What may make the Zags dangerous in this tournament is that they may feel less pressure to win. The situation has deteriorated to the point where many analysts wouldn't even be shocked if they went out in the first round. You can bet that some will be picking against the Zags from the get go. If Gonzaga goes into this thing with the idea that they are just going to play as hard and as smart as they possibly can at all times, and if they lose, they lose.....well, they might do some special things during this tournament.

zag buddy
03-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't know if I am on cloud nine or not but could we get a game this week with the lakers?