• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MotoZag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2009

Zags are the Most Complete team in the NCAA

When clicking on all cylinders of course.

As pointed out in a another post, GU is the only team in D-1 ranked in the top 10 for offensive and defensive efficiency, 6th and 10th respectively.

I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself, but the way this team is playing right now is a Final Four team, hands down. Not even UNC is as complete as that (1st and 21st respectively). Given, UNC shows glimpses of good defense, but so do other teams that are otherwise strictly offense. barring and injury or catastrophic meltdown mentally, I don't think anything can stand in the way of these guys. However, they still have to prove that they can come back after taking a punch, say being down 5-10 at halftime or such.

My two cents.
  • brian_sun
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

It's also about the styles of plays. GU don't like the style of plays that a Memphis or Pitt will employ. I think those teams will give GU a lot of troubles in the tourney. UNC is an insanely gifted offensive team. Their fastbreak style is a lot more similar to the Zags offense. I wouldn't say GU is better defensively just based on this stat. You have to factor in UNC play in a much tougher conference than GU. I think it will be a fun game between GU and UNC, but I think the individual athletism of UNC will ultimately prevail. GU against Memphis or Pitt will not be that close.

Originally posted by MotoZag View Post
    When clicking on all cylinders of course.

As pointed out in a another post, GU is the only team in D-1 ranked in the top 10 for offensive and defensive efficiency, 6th and 10th respectively.

I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself, but the way this team is playing right now is a Final Four team, hands down. Not even UNC is as complete as that (1st and 21st respectively). Given, UNC shows glimpses of good defense, but so do other teams that are otherwise strictly offense. barring and injury or catastrophic meltdown mentally, I don't think anything can stand in the way of these guys. However, they still have to prove that they can come back after taking a punch, say being down 5-10 at halftime or such.

My two cents.

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

brian_sun is the complete contrarian.

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

A little more on balance...

Money Quote:

Why should you care? Because according to KenPom.com, all five of the most recent NCAA Tournament champions were among the nation's Top 12 most efficient clubs on both offense and defense.
        History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by brian_sun View Post
          It's also about the styles of plays. GU don't like the style of plays that a Memphis or Pitt will employ. I think those teams will give GU a lot of troubles in the tourney. UNC is an insanely gifted offensive team. Their fastbreak style is a lot more similar to the Zags offense. I wouldn't say GU is better defensively just based on this stat. You have to factor in UNC play in a much tougher conference than GU. I think it will be a fun game between GU and UNC, but I think the individual athletism of UNC will ultimately prevail. GU against Memphis or Pitt will not be that close.
          While it is true that UNC plays in a much tougher conference than Gonzaga -- it is also true that in the 10 OOC BCS* (Big 12; Big 10; SEC; Pac 10; ACC; Big East plus Memphis/Utah) games the Zags played -- their f.g. percentage defense was 38.1 % -- which over the course of the season would be ranked number 5 in the nation.

*Zags played schools from each of the BCS conferences this season. BTW, a total of zero of the BCS/Memphis and Utah games were played on Gonzaga's home floor.
          sigpic
          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
          ——-
          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• 75Zag
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Most Complete Team in NCAA

Speaking as a weary veteran of the long, quiet, shuttle bus ride from the Oakland Coliseum back to the alumni association party venue on the night that UCLA drove a knife through the heart of GU basketball, I recommend that we refrain from making grandiose claims just yet.

GU may be peaking at the perfect moment, but so are various other teams (including our friends in Memphis and Seattle). I prefer to proceed one game at a time, and cheer my heart out over each potential victory.

Hope is great. Optimism is great. Reality is what it is.

Go Bulldogs. Beat the Next Guys!
            Do not go gentle into that good night,
            Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
            Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

We have already proven on this board that Gonzaga's defensive stats throughout non-league play were just about as good as what they did in the WCC. They were in the top 10 in defensive efficiency throughout most of the non-league sked. In fact, the WCC competition hurt Gonzaga's defensive rating at times because these ratings incorporate the quality of opponent you are facing.

Gonzaga is a better defensive team than North Carolina. Ty Lawson is poor at guarding the point of attack (see their losses and how opposing guards like Vasquez ripped them up), and they do not have the shotblocking presence that GU does in the middle. Ellington can be a defensive liability at the wing. What Carolina happens to be is the best offensive team in the country. They have more weapons than anyone, and they play defense that is at least good enough to win the national title. But if you gave them GU's defense, they may not have a loss right now.

As impressive as Gonzaga's stats are, they don't measure intangibles. They don't measure a team's toughness and an ability to make big plays in big moments. The Zags have a lot to prove before they can say they belong with the one and two seeds that will be in this tournament. At the same time, if I were one of those one or two seeds, I would prefer that Gonzaga be in somebody else's bracket. Their talent level is greater than a team typically seeded at 4 or 5.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
                I prefer to proceed one game at a time, and cheer my heart out over each potential victory.

Hope is great. Optimism is great. Reality is what it is.

Go Bulldogs. Beat the Next Guys!
                From someone who also endured that game in person, I wholeheartedly agree. There's no in between here.

We've earned what we've done, and the next chance to earn more is in 10 days or whatever...aiming at that one game right now, that's it

CDC covered it nicely imo

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

From here on,

the statistics are meaningless. It doesn't matter if Memphis or NC would beat us 8 out of 10 times, we only play them once (if we both get that far)and the loser goes home. The statistics help out with the seeding, but after that it doesn't matter. In a series of one game seasons, I like our balance and our team defense. We have senior leadership and great floor balance on both ends of the floor.

Since all games will be on a neutral floor (theoretically) and the Zags travel very well, a lot of the intangibles go away as well. Due to our showing at the WCC tourney we should be in Boise or Portland.

It comes down to making in game adjustments and who wants it more on that night. I don't think Jeremy, Micah, and Josh are ready to be done next weekend, and just making the Dance isn't good enough for the guys anymore.

I like our chances to make some noise. Every team needs a little lady luck for an E8 or FF. We rolled a 7 in Vegas, let it ride...............

Go ZAGS

Comment

• ZagSlug
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Feb 2007

From the title of this thread I thought that someone was smoking the Kool-Aid.

Almost ashamed to see some salient points in the thread. So much of the success in the NCAA's is dependent upon match ups and styles of play. The only thing consistent is defense and GU has some good D this year.
                    sigpic
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• TM27
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

My thoughts dont mean much but here they are....

1. This board is bi-polar.

2. Agree GU looked great, and also agree it is easy to get caught up...but our front line depth is still cause for concern. I like the enthusiasm but if this team, and the past couple of teams has taught us anything....it is that everyone needs to find that middle ground.

3. I dont believe that the SMC team we saw last night would have beat any team in top 20. We beat a bubble team. However, and along those same lines I think GU played them as well as any team could have (meaning I dont think UNC or Pitt would have faired any better or worse).

4. We now will play teams with tall athletic 3 guards, those which give Micah problems. We now play teams with long athletic and quick 2/3 the kind that over the years have taken away Matt's first step. Not allowing Matt into the key (where he is among D1's most dangerous triple threat) neutralizes a huge portion of Matt's game and immediately takes away part of GU offense. If calls go against Josh and Austin, we are left relying on Will. Love the heart but that fact alone should sober up some on this board.

5. GU is dangerous b/c they dont rely on one aspect or one person. And the amount of teams that have all the above weapons are few and far between...but GU is still suspect in many areas. Emotions and expectations should be tempered until the brackets are released and we see whom GU will play...as we have seen in recent years, the committee appears bored with GU and occasionally rewards them by sending them to extreme hostile environments....lets see how this plays out before we declare them a #1 seed.

Sincerely,
                      Debbie Downer
                      TM

Comment

• Spokanicoug
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Nov 2007

Most Complete Team in NCAA...history.

Fixed

Comment

• Ikancagin
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spokanicoug View Post
                          Most Complete Team in NCAA...history.

Fixed
                          Except for rebounding against WCC opponents.

Comment

• gamagin
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

this is one area where we have GOT

Originally posted by Ikancagin View Post
                            Except for rebounding against WCC opponents.
                            to get our share of boards at both ends from now on, or we might be prematurely heading home, imo. You can bet our foes will be working just as hard to deny us our share.

It will be determined as much by a battle of wits and wills as skills and drills. I like our chances in a 40 minute, winner takes all, test.

When a fighter meets a puncher, the fighter wins every time. IF he has the bigger heart. I think we have become mostly fighters, if recent events are any indication, with plenty of heart.

Go TEAM Zags !
                            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• MotoZag
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by TM27 View Post
                              My thoughts dont mean much but here they are....

1. This board is bi-polar.
                              Any board based on opinion will seem this way.

Comment

Working...
                              X