• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagsker
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2008

Low Mid Major??

Over on this Nebraska board I visit...they are discussing the tourney chances of Creighton (go figure...the Huskers talking about the Jays).

One guy posted an article...http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews.../49b5bb3b0622b

and this is what got me kinda peeved

Gonzaga, quite frankly, succeeds because ESPN likes its cool name and the Zags seem to have unlimited funds to play all over the country every year. Gonzaga also plays in a conference a full two or three notches below that of the Missouri Valley. It can count on 12 league wins every year, sleepwalking through half of them. Gonzaga can easily afford to blow four or five non-conference games, and in fact did that in 2009.

Do you feel the WCC is that far below the MVC??
    I am working on being a more all around square.
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I hate to say this, but a lot of Missouri Valley Conference fans are intensely jealous of Gonzaga and the recruiting, TV and media advantages they have over all MVC schools. That's really what this comes down to. I don't think anyone would dispute that the MVC, most years, is better from top to bottom than the WCC, although I think St. Mary's - with a healthy Patty Mills - is better than any team in their league this year.

Comment

• Zagsker
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
      I hate to say this, but a lot of Missouri Valley Conference fans are intensely jealous of Gonzaga and the recruiting, TV and media advantages they have over all MVC schools.
      completely agree.....I get the "what about us " vibe when talking with Creighton/ Northern Iowa fans
      I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• marczagfan
        Bulldog Fan
        • Oct 2008

The MVC is a good conference, a great mid major conference, but what is their knock on gonzaga.....we have 5 losses this year Creighton has 7. They played 0 top 25 teams and their only game against a BCS team is Nebraska and thats a given. I love the MVC but they need to complain about the 6th place team in a bcs league getting an invite and not a team like gonzaga which is a mid major just like they are.

Comment

• former1dog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagsker View Post
          Gonzaga, quite frankly, succeeds because ESPN likes its cool name and the Zags seem to have unlimited funds to play all over the country every year. Gonzaga also plays in a conference a full two or three notches below that of the Missouri Valley. It can count on 12 league wins every year, sleepwalking through half of them. Gonzaga can easily afford to blow four or five non-conference games, and in fact did that in 2009.

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

If there is ( and there seems to be) resentment toward GU or the WCC, it's because the MVC does play a more athletic, exciting brand of ball. Better defense too.....usually it's a very hard brand of D. They feel that they don't get recognised for it.

The fact is, as CDC points out, that the MVC is simply better most years. The East and West coasts just don't pay attention to the midwest, MVC type teams. No glamour, little national TV, few AA's and very little excitement. Unusual to get notice from the NCAA tournament runs....which are few. The upper midwest is dominated by the Big 10. Lower midwest by the Big 12.

Despite the hard nosed basketball played in the MVC, little credit is given and litte notice too. Further, not much for population. MVC is a jewel but the media doesn't care. WHen a Zag team or a George Mason type shows up, the media loves it. When a MVC team is eligible for some props, they're largely ignored. Big time recruits follow suit....they go elsewhere. So goes the media....<sigh>...
            Last edited by MDABE80; 03-10-2009, 12:09 PM. Reason: mmmmm spelling

Comment

• EngineerZag
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Feb 2007

Mid-majors like the schools in the MVC need to schedule OOC like the Zags do - then if their record stacks up to ours, they can talk. They play ridiculous teams and then expect to make the dance as an at large - what they need to learn from us is that you've gotta schedule tough to get the recognition. If they were to win the OSC like we did, they'd be turning heads too.

Comment

• 75Zag
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Conference Comparison - G

The only way I know to compare conferences is to use the "conference RPI". Missouri Valley has a conference RPI of around 8 or 9 (depending on site) and WCC has a conference RPI of 15 or 16 (depending on site). So I guess it is truthful to say that on a conference to conference comparison, Missouri Valley is a stronger conference.

But that begs the question of the quality of GU compared to Missouri Valley teams. I would take GU over any and all Missouri Valley championship teams over the past 10 years, including Creighton when it was winning. They don't have the talent of GU and they don't have the killer mentality or coaching expertise.
                Do not go gentle into that good night,
                Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
                X