PDA

View Full Version : Lunardi moves us up to a 4

zagsfan21
03-10-2009, 07:16 AM
vs. #13 Northern Iowa in Boise. Great matchup; I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Also, St. Mary's is gone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

zag944
03-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Hes posted a lot of brackets that I wouldnt have minded "freezing" recently, but I like this one best.

Hopefully when the larger conferences play their tourneys things happen to keep us in the 4 spot

mcdiehard
03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Meanwhile, Glockner at SI has us as a 4 in Portland versus Western KY, with UCLA looming in round 2.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_glockner/03/09/bracket/index.html?eref=T1

GonzagaLove
03-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Sweet! I've got tickets! The only problem is my wife is scheduled for a c-section Friday, March 20th at 8:00 am. Shouldn't be a problem.?

NotoriousZ
03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Love Joe's bracket!!! Thank you Zags, we're playing close to home for sure. I hope SMC gets in, I still think they will. Say what you want about Fatham (punk), but Mills and Simpson are all class.

FuManShoes
03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Was this updated before the WCC final? The blurb suggests it was ..

GONZAGA
What they've done: Reach another WCC title game they do not need to win. What they need: Take one for the team for Saint Mary's.

Seed Report:
S-Curve history: 5 (Nov. 12), 6 (Dec. 23), 26 (Jan. 5), 18 (Jan. 12), 20 (Jan. 19), 20 (Jan. 26), 20 (Feb. 2), 16 (Feb. 6), 23 (Feb. 9), 22 (Feb. 13), 21 (Feb. 16), 20 (Feb. 20), 28 (Feb. 27), 23 (March 2), 21 (March 6), 17 (March 9).

brian_sun
03-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Meanwhile, Glockner at SI has us as a 4 in Portland versus Western KY, with UCLA looming in round 2.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_glockner/03/09/bracket/index.html?eref=T1

How can UCLA be a 5th seed? I think they will win the Pac 10 tourney since it's in LA. I think they will grab a 3rd seed.

MississppiZag
03-10-2009, 09:17 AM
I see UCLA losing a game in the Pac-10 Tournament and given a 5 or 6 seed. Washignton, Arizona State, or even WSU can handle them on a neutral court. UW is the favorite in my eyes.

CDC84
03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
I don't think many people realize this, but UCLA only has 3 top 50 RPI wins. Their best wins outside of league continue to be Notre Dame (73) and Miami of Ohio (79).

MDABE80
03-10-2009, 09:28 AM
UCLA won't win because the tournament is in LA. They will win because they're the best team..if they win. The tourney is at Staples..downtown. Fur piece from Westwood.

DoMieD
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
FSU would give us all kinds of problems

brian_sun
03-10-2009, 09:37 AM

Seriously, let's say UCLA beat UW in the Pac 10 tourney final, do you think the loser of that game will be a 5th seed? I think if UW makes it to the final, the lowest it can go is 4th seed, the highest it can go is 2. But a 2nd round match up between GU and UW or GU and UCLA are both very intriguing. I am sure people on this board still remembers the 2006 collapse against UCLA in the Sweep 16. It's no better feeling than to take them out this year. A second round game against UCLA may generate more interests than against UW.

CDC84
03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
If UCLA or UW wins the Pac 10 tourney, they'll get at least a 4.

007Zag
03-10-2009, 10:01 AM
...staples center is only a 15 minute drive from westwood, which to anyone in LA is just about down the street. and their fan base isn't exactly limited to the westside. it's close, but UCLA takes it from UW.

2Zags3Pups
03-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Is that bracket even possible? Is there still a rule that you can't play anyone that you played during the year until the third round? Or did they abolish that rule? He's got it set where we could play Arizona in the second round again.

former1dog
03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Is that bracket even possible? Is there still a rule that you can't play anyone that you played during the year until the third round? Or did they abolish that rule? He's got it set where we could play Arizona in the second round again.

I don't think its a hard and fast rule, but it is an area of emphasis by the committee that they have been successfull in following.

I do agree that its unlikely that the committee would have us playing a regular season opponent in the first or second round if it is at all avoidable.

EngineerZag
03-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I think WSU will win the Pac 10 tourney.

OK, not really. UW, however, has clearly outplayed UCLA this year and on a neutral court I think they take the title.

brian_sun
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I think WSU will win the Pac 10 tourney.

OK, not really. UW, however, has clearly outplayed UCLA this year and on a neutral court I think they take the title.

Except the court really isn't that neutral.

UberZagFan
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM

It was a rule and it's been changed to second round--all because of the BEast conference and the fact they want to make it easier for the committee to accommodate 10 schools from that conference.

From Lunardi's FAQ:

Aren't there a ton of other bracketing rules to consider? Yes, and if you have three or four hours and some spare brain cells available, you can read them all in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship handbook. Otherwise, you'll just have to trust me. One change worth repeating for 2008-09 is that teams from the same conference may now meet as early as the second round of the tournament if said conference has more than five participants. Previously, teams from the same conference could not meet before a regional final. This provision is only to be utilized if all other bracketing options have been exhausted or if a ninth team is selected from a given conference.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3812210

zagfan08
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I think if UW wins it or at least makes the championship game, they'll end up as a 3 seed. I just don't see them as a 2 seed this year, even with a regular season and tournament title in the PAC 10.

UCLA is probably looking at a 4 or 5, although winning the tourney could get them in the discussion for a 3 as well.

UberZagFan
03-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Agreed. Uber does not like that second round matchup except for the fact it is all the way across the country for FSU. Uber would rather see Purdue or Illinois before FSU.

p.s. LSU is a six and so is Tennessee? Hmmm.

lothar98zag
03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
why does UW have to come up every day on this site? ugh...

rennis
03-10-2009, 11:47 AM
why does UW have to come up every day on this site? ugh...

My take: It's like having bad hemorrhoids. You just can't ignore their uncomfortable presence and must talk about it, at least to yourself, frequently.

zagzilla
03-10-2009, 11:51 AM
IMO Zags don't get the 4. We looked great but the memory will fade as other BCS team win "big games" and push us down to a 5 which is where I have figured we would wind up all along.

SMC will only get in if Mills goes for 30 against EWU

75Zag
03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Bulldogs will probably get screwed by usual BCS bias, but the #5 seed in Portland looks doable regardless of what happens in the big man tournaments this weekend.

Go Bulldogs! Beat the Next Guys!

mainer6
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM

I agree. FSU makes me nervous. I will be glad when all this speculation is done and the real bracket comes out. Then I can be nervous about what is not about what might be.

TerpZag
03-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Why do you think Florida State would give the Zags all kind of problems?

As Uber points out the Seminoles, under this scenario, would be traveling across country.

FSU was only 4-4 on the road in the ACC. And remember, like many oversized BCS conferences, the ACC teams play an unbalanced road and home schedule. So some teams, in any given year, do not necessarily play the best teams in their conference both home and away.

Out of conference (OOC), FSU was 3-1. That looks pretty good until you look at the details.

FSU played Jacksonville at Jacksonville and won 59-57.
FSU played LaSalle at Philly and won 65-61.
FSU played Georgia State at Atlanta and won 62-57.

FSU played Northwestern (The Big Ten powerhouse) at Evanston and lost 73-59.

FSU has only one starter Toney Douglas that is averaging double figures and the rest of the starters average between 7 and 9 points.

Teams like FSU are not as daunting as they first appear because like many BCS Conference teams they do not play many true away games.

I am not saying that FSU is a bad team but a match up with a FSU is very winnable, in my opinion, especially in Boise or Portland.

CDC84
03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Florida State has real problems scoring the basketball. They rank 113th in offensive efficiency, and only shoot 43.0% from the field. They can play some serious defense though.

DoMieD
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Why do you think Florida State would give the Zags all kind of problems?

As Uber points out the Seminoles, under this scenario, would be traveling across country.

FSU was only 4-4 on the road in the ACC. And remember, like many oversized BCS conferences, the ACC teams play an unbalanced road and home schedule. So some teams, in any given year, do not necessarily play the best teams in their conference both home and away.

Out of conference (OOC), FSU was 3-1. That looks pretty good until you look at the details.

FSU played Jacksonville at Jacksonville and won 59-57.
FSU played LaSalle at Philly and won 65-61.
FSU played Georgia State at Atlanta and won 62-57.

FSU played Northwestern (The Big Ten powerhouse) at Evanston and lost 73-59.

FSU has only one starter Toney Douglas that is averaging double figures and the rest of the starters average between 7 and 9 points.

Teams like FSU are not as daunting as they first appear because like many BCS Conference teams they do not play many true away games.

I am not saying that FSU is a bad team but a match up with a FSU is very winnable, in my opinion, especially in Boise or Portland.

Take a second, and forget all the numbers.. Have you watched them play?

They play very well as a team, they also have a nice bench rotation..

They're big, and athletic inside (Memphis proved that big and athletic can be huge problems for us), and have very good shooters on the outside..

Tony Douglas is one of the best players in the country IMO, right along with Sam Young..

He's very quick, gets to the lane with ease, and then when you think he's about to drive, and he can pull up and hit the jumper from anywhere on the court.. Not to mention his Defense is OUSTANDING..

FSU is a problem... I'm not saying we can't beat them, or anything like that, but FSU is def. the type of team that could give us problems.

brian_sun
03-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I watched them took Duke to OT before losing in Cameron. They are playing great basketball right now. 4-4 in the ACC is actually pretty good, considering UNC, Duke, Wake Forest are all tough games on the road. That's definitely not a team anyone would want to face in the second round.

They're big, and athletic inside (Memphis proved that big and athletic can be huge problems for us), and have very good shooters on the outside..

Tony Douglas is one of the best players in the country IMO, right along with Sam Young..

He's very quick, gets to the lane with ease, and then when you think he's about to drive, and he can pull up and hit the jumper from anywhere on the court.. Not to mention his Defense is OUSTANDING..

FSU is a problem... I'm not saying we can't beat them, or anything like that, but FSU is def. the type of team that could give us problems.

UberZagFan
03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
To be clear, Uber's not saying that GU can't beat FSU, but GU probably matches up better against some of the other projected 5 seeds.

ZagLawGrad
03-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Lunardi has a great job---he can change his mind every day, and it gives everybody something to talk about.

TerpZag
03-10-2009, 11:24 PM
I watched them took Duke to OT before losing in Cameron...

Oh really. What year did you watch that overtime game?

This past season, Florida State at Home lost to Duke 66-58 and on the Road lost to Duke 84-81. Neither game was an overtime game.

Flordia State's only overtime game this past season was a 76-73 vistory over Maryland at Home. Maryland is not a very good road team this season.

...4-4 in the ACC is actually pretty good, considering UNC, Duke, Wake Forest are all tough games on the road...

Granted that would be a pretty good road record if they played UNC, Duke and Wake Forest. But that was not Florida State's schedule this year.

Florida State was 0-4 in games against those 3 top teams in the ACC.

FSU lost to Duke at Home 66-58
FSU lost to UNC at Home 80-77
FSU lost to Wake Forst on the Road 86-63
FSU lost to Duke on the Road 84-81

Florida State by only playing against what proved to be the best 3 teams in the ACC may have had an advantage over another ACC team that may have had to play the top 3 teams 6 times over the ACC season.

Against the 5 teams in the ACC besides FSU with a winning conference record, the Seminoles were 2-5 overall (1-2 at Home and 1-3 on the Road). Their only 2 victories were against Clemson. They lost all their games againt UNC, Duke, Wake Forest and Boston College.

FSU cleaned up against the other 6 teams that finished below .500 in the ACC. FSU was 8-1 with their only lost on the Road against Miami.

So their 4-4 road record in the ACC was accomplished by beating the bottom half of the ACC with a 3-1 record.

Bottom line is that the Seminoles have yet to prove that they can win on the Road consistenly and also win against against teams with winning records.

Of course, I have watched FSU play several times this season. I have been an ACC basketball fan for many, many years.

Toney Douglas is a very good player both offensively and defensively but he does not have the supporting cast of either Pitt or Memphis, in my opinion.

As I pointed out, FSU has not shown that it can play well on the road. In addition, CDC84 mentioned that FSU has trouble scoring efficiently.

Beyond Toney Douglas, who can they rely on for scoring? Chris Singleton and Deividas Dulkys are next in line with 3 point attempts and both are shooting less than .300 and their best 3 point shooter percentage-wise Derwin Kitchen has only 34 attempts all year.

Of course, it is possible that they could shoot lights out against a Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament though. We have seen that happen before.

We will just have to wait and see how FSU does on the Road in the ACC Tournament and later in the NCAA Tournament. Solomon Alabi (a red shirt freshman) and Chris Singleton (a freshman) have yet to play under the pressure of an ACC or NCAA Tournament.

To be clear, Uber's not saying that GU can't beat FSU, but GU probably matches up better against some of the other projected 5 seeds.

Uber, I understand what you meant and I agree. At least, you recoginzed the difficulty that FSU might face going on the road to play in the NCAA.

DoMieD
03-11-2009, 03:40 AM
I'd rather play Missouri in the 2nd round, should of just said that I guess.