PDA

View Full Version : Demetri Goodson

Reborn
03-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Having Demetri Goodson on the floor last night was like having Mills wearing a Zag uniform. Goodsos is so fast, and so quick and so fearless inside. All preseason long the talk was about whether the Zags could contain Mills' speed. Yes! We did. In fact we brought in a kid that may be faster and quicker then Mills. I've really enjoyed watching Goodson's development this year. In the two biggest games of the year, last night against St. Mary's and the Memphis game, he shone like a bright star. Here's a shout out to the next great point guard at Gonzaga U. Best of luck in your first NCAA tournament as well, and ENJOY it, and just be yourself, Meech.

Gufan
03-10-2009, 07:10 AM
I love me some Meech:)

gueastcoast
03-10-2009, 07:14 AM
It's called Guard U. for a reason ;)

Was at the game and his speed was astonishing -- on one play he blew by Mills like Patty was standing still.

DixieZag
03-10-2009, 07:37 AM
I am sooooo looking forward to the "jump" in understanding of the game from the frosh to sophmore years. Meech is great and only getting better, think of him having all summer to work on his jump shot!

ZagLawGrad
03-10-2009, 07:43 AM
We're in good hands when JP hangs up jersey #2

FuManShoes
03-10-2009, 07:51 AM
He's a stud. Fearless, great around the hoop, quick as a jitterbug and only getting better. GU has a real weapon on their hands. And how about that floater of his?

mainer6
03-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I agree completely that Goodson is already good and going to get better. My one hope is that Goodson doesn't have the same criticisms thrown at him that Pargo has had in the last year.

I am sure you all remember the first time you saw Pargo as a Freshman and I am sure you all had a reaction that he was going to be a stud. And Pargo caught everyone's eye with pure athleticism. Not as quick as Goodson but fearless, strong and able to score around the rim. Just like Goodson now, Pargo was, then, a slasher and a great athlete but not a pure point-guard. Goodson will have to go through the same maturation process. He will have to learn some of the same things Pargo seems to have learned this year: Don't look for your own shot first. Get other scorers involved. Simple is often better even if you aren't voted G-unit as often.

The thing that fustrates me is that Pargo, while not as quick as Goodson, could drive and get a shot off almost every possession.

But, that is not what a pure PG is required to do. In the year the Pargo seems to have discovered this, he has taken a lot of criticism. What happened to Pargo? Has he lost a step? No, he has matured into a point guard. He's a big reason GU is balanced and has 5 guys who can score 20 a night.

If Goodson matures into a point guard, maintains his desire to get to the rim and adds a jumpshot as was previously mentioned, he really will be great.

gamagin
03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
perfect fit for the p.g. position, imo. And watching him mature all season long has been a delight.

Imo, he has actually had to learn to slow down and not outrun the ball or his brain while driving or reacting to a situaiton. THAT is quick !

Go TEAM Zags !

scrooner
03-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Considering that he has no perimeter shot to speak of, I think he's got great touch inside, and he's a PHENOMENAL passer. He threw up a perfect alley oop to Micah on Sunday while on the run.

NotoriousZ
03-10-2009, 09:32 AM
The future is bright, and so is the present!!!

CDC84
03-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Meech may have not been on the all-WCC freshman team, but he would start on most WCC teams.

mtzaga
03-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Meech may have not been on the all-WCC freshman team, but he would start on most WCC teams.

He could also be playing DB in the Big Twelve. He's gonna be fun to watch for three more years.

PeninsulaDog
03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Watching Demetri Goodsen last night got me thinking about what a huge factor Quentin Hall was in the Zags' run in 1999. Success in the NCAA Tournament often comes down to luck -- getting all the bounces at the right time. (Watch the last two minutes of the GU-Florida game in '99.) But success can also come from an unexpectedly great performance from a player that might not be getting the headlines. There are times someone has to step out of the shadows and take big shots. Hall was that unexpected "X" factor in '99, I think. He was fearless, using amazing quickness to penetrate, and wasn't afraid the take big shots from the outside. (He inserted the daggers into Stanford in the second round in '99 with a couple of huge three-pointers.) Demetri hasn't shown a tendency to shoot long-range shots consistently, but his quickness, fearlessness, and audacity match Hall's. Demetri doesn't get the minutes that Hall got in '99, and I'm saying that he'll be an "X" factor in the post season, but I won't be surprised if he is.

HillBillyZag
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Meech has all of the tools. Also my sources tell me that Grant Gibbs is a Matt Bouldin clone with the addition of a midrange jumper and Manny Arop's bag of tricks is full. With Matt, Meech, Grant & Manny Arop "guard U.'s " succession is assured.

Zageist
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
He's super quick, makes good decisions and handles the ball well. He's fun to watch.

ZagNative
03-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Fierce, just fierce.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Meech/2009-03-09DemetriGoodsonStMarysWCCc.jpg
"Gonzaga's Demetri Goodson (3) drives to the basket against Saint Mary's Omar Samhan during the first half of the West Coast Conference men's tournament championship NCAA college basketball game in Las Vegas, Monday, March 9, 2009"

EngineerZag
03-10-2009, 11:04 AM
I love how Meech just takes it at the trees inside with no fear, and usually finishes. It's amazing too how high he can jump, having the ability to dunk when you're 5' 10" is no small thing.

2Zags3Pups
03-10-2009, 11:11 AM
As a North Carolina fan, he reminds me of Ty Lawson as a freshman. All Lawson did was bolt up the court, weaving through defenders to the hoop or laying it off after drawing the defender. He hardly ever shot outside. Just the pure speed that these players have changes the game. While I hate comparing players because you always compare the potential of one to the accomplishment's of a great player (usually), their speed and the effects that they have on games is very similar at this stage.

bballbeachbum
03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Way to be a part of it Meech!!! Believe it.

Let's Dance!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

GonzagaDynasty
03-10-2009, 01:20 PM
What has surprised me more than anything recently about Meech, is his ability to not only get to the rim, but Finish. The kid has an offensive game, There is no doubt. If he can develope on outside shot, this kid is going to be absolutely great. Im so excited for NOW, and the future of Gonzaga basketball. The program is here to stay.

edcasey
03-10-2009, 03:19 PM
While almost every post in this thread wants to talk about his offensive prowness, I like to focus on the entire ballplayer.

In my opinion:

1. defensively he came a long ways this year. He has figured our the defensive scheme and played it well. (By the way thought he played far better defense yesterday than the Mills kid..which last time I checked doesnt take a wrist to play defense). Solid one on one defender with great lateral quickness and ability to stay nose deep on the ballplayer. Tends to forget off ball responsibilities at times, but he is a freshman learning different system, expectations and that he cannot simply rely on his athleticism at this level like he did in hiigh school so will need to focus more on the weakside rotational issues.

2. Distributes and see court well. Freshman tendency to overpenetrate. Common issue with someone like this because in HS he was able to finesse his way no matter what, but at this level he needs to understand that wont always work depedning on what the "read' is...needs to learn this to become very very good point guard that he is capable of doing....

3. Which leads to area not certain about, mid range pull up jumper. While we didnt see that a whole lot this year, I trust he is working on it because with his first quick step a mid range pull up jumper combo will become DEADLY

4. Needs to back off a little on the chitter chatter on the court, that could end up getting him in trouble during a game

5. Outside shooting. Demonstrated that when given ample time to set feet he can hit the outside shot consistently for a freshman. What I did not see all year was the ability to catch and shoot from long range. But "wont care" if he increases skills and abilities in 1-4.

Gonna be fun watching this guy develop......exciting, talented, athletic and gifted.......continuation of GUARD U tradition

billyberu
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
4. Needs to back off a little on the chitter chatter on the court, that could end up getting him in trouble during a game

But only a little.

gamagin
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
<< While almost every post in this thread wants to talk about his offensive prowness, I like to focus on the entire ballplayer.>>

Is this supercilious, self-serving schlock really necessary ?

Otherwise, good post.

edcasey
03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
sorry you felt I was talking in a snide or disdained way toward anyone, but was not. I was simply trying to say that there is more to the game of basketball than simple ability to drive to the hole and that no one else had talked about the "whole" ballplayer.

HillBillyZag
03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
What puzzles me, is that u all seem to have written off Grant Gibbs and evidently feel that he is not going to compete for minutes with Bouldin, Gray, Goodson, Arop and the rest. He was'nt Iowa's Mr. Basketball for being chopped liver. I hear he brings as much raw skill to the table as Matt did and also has a mid-range jumper. I will bet he will get some minutes and perhaps more.

edcasey
03-10-2009, 04:21 PM
that kid will compete for minutes I think, but not necessarily in the first half of the year in my opinion......very strong prospect

FuManShoes
03-10-2009, 04:38 PM
What puzzles me, is that u all seem to have written off Grant Gibbs and evidently feel that he is not going to compete for minutes with Bouldin, Gray, Goodson, Arop and the rest. He was'nt Iowa's Mr. Basketball for being chopped liver. I hear he brings as much raw skill to the table as Matt did and also has a mid-range jumper. I will bet he will get some minutes and perhaps more.

Few of us has ever seen him play but for some youtube clips and the play he broke his arm on in HS. Gibbs may be the bomb but he'll have some tough competition given the pieces coming back and what we've seen out of Meech. I hope to have my eyes opened

GonzagaDynasty
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I havent written off Mr. Gibbs. IMO he is going to be another "true zag." Him and Poling are what Gonzaga basketball is about, And I cant wait to see him play next year... But Im hoping We still have a lot more ball to play this year! GO ZAGS

Reborn
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't think anyone is cutting Gibbs out of the picture. This thread is about how good Goodson is. We've seen Goodson, and therefore know what he brings to our program. I like what I've read about Gibbs. He's a great recruit I think. Let's wait until we see him play next year. I believe he's more in the mold of Bouldin then Goodson. I heard he's tough, and I like that. And I heard he wanted to be A ZAG since he was a kid. Meech is having a great Freshman year, and I think one that I haven't seen from a Freshman in awhile.

Nevtelen
03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Goodson would be a monster with a good floater. He's already shown that he has a decent runner. Add a pull-up and he would be unstoppable.

edcasey
03-10-2009, 08:38 PM
be an ABSOLUTE bear to guard if he develops pull up jumper....quick explosive first step will force most guards to play off him, ability to stop and pull up jumper couple that with his obvious ability to see the court would make switches in the paint area difficult as he would then dump it off.....

I might have sweet dreams thinking of this possibility.....wow

webspinnre
03-10-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm with others - from what I've heard of Gibbs, he sounds excellent, but I have yet to see him play. Goodson I have seen and love. We can start loving on Gibbs next year, and I'm sure he'll be deserving.

former1dog
03-10-2009, 09:47 PM
My guess is that Bouldin starts next year at point, but I could see Meech improving enough to put Gray on the bench. My guess is that the only locks for starters are Bouldin, Daye, and Sacre. Gray seems like he should be, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kong came in and started. Should be a very interesting season next year as well.

I think Meech is going to step into the starting spot that Pargo vacates and we'll see Meech and Bouldin running the point interchangeably.

HillBillyZag
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
It will be interesting. You all know how loyal Few is to his players. For any frosh to start over an upper classman in this system will tell you how good he really must be.

Nevtelen
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I think Meech is going to step into the starting spot that Pargo vacates and we'll see Meech and Bouldin running the point interchangeably.

Agreed - I think the system will be something like what's going on this year with Meech playing like Pargo right now as a part-time point and running the break. That tends to play to Pargo's and Meech's strengths as being great at driving the ball and also frees Bouldin up as a shooter on the break if needed. Bouldin will still probably do a lot of the PG duties in the half-court, though, where he is turning into a great creator and just abusing most anyone who tries to guard him. I think making Bouldin the full-time PG negates a lot of the strengths he has as a shooter (he's developed a great touch on spot-up 3s).

Reborn
03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Agreed
Bouldin will still probably do a lot of the PG duties in the half-court, though, where he is turning into a great creator and just abusing most anyone who tries to guard him. I think making Bouldin the full-time PG negates a lot of the strengths he has as a shooter (he's developed a great touch on spot-up 3s).

I agree too. Bouldin's 3 pt shooting is the most improved part of his offensive game. His overall defense, though, is THE MOST improved part of his total game. What I admire most about Matt is how much he has improved. He's come a long ways, and his confidence right now is beaming. He's like a light beam.

Zag79
03-11-2009, 12:41 AM
The thing that fustrates me is that Pargo, while not as quick as Goodson, could drive and get a shot off almost every possession.

But, that is not what a pure PG is required to do. In the year the Pargo seems to have discovered this, he has taken a lot of criticism. What happened to Pargo? Has he lost a step? No, he has matured into a point guard. He's a big reason GU is balanced and has 5 guys who can score 20 a night.

BINGO! great post. also, Matty will NOT be the 1 next year. meech as much more suited for this, and matt is better at the 2 anyway.

cjm720
03-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Meech was one heck of a find. Kudos to the staff!

I'd be suprised if he doesn't start next year, and equally suprised if he averages more than 28 minutes. Bouldin, Gray, Gibbs, Arop will all rotate in and mix between the 1-2 effectively. We are loaded.

GO ZAGS!!

Bogozags
03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
My guess is that Bouldin starts next year at point, but I could see Meech improving enough to put Gray on the bench. My guess is that the only locks for starters are Bouldin, Daye, and Sacre. Gray seems like he should be, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kong came in and started. Should be a very interesting season next year as well.

Nothing concret that I've seen indicates Kong is coming to GU? Where are you getting this information? :link:

former1dog
03-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Nothing concret that I've seen indicates Kong is coming to GU? Where are you getting this information? :link:

It has been posted on this board a dozen times he'll be here in May. Search function is your friend.

OZZag
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I for one am very excited about the future of the 1-3 positions for the Zags, heck I 'm excited about 1-5 for that matter!

The staff are going to have good fun sorting out how much time for these players, it may come down to who is able to communicate and play with whom.............
At the 1 we can play Meech,Matt, and Grant
At the 2 we can play Matt, Grey, Grant, Arop and Kong,
At the 3 we can play Austin,Matt,Arop, Kong, and Harris.

The speed that Meech brings and his intensity (on both ends) has already won him Zag fans respect.

As much as I like Manny's game, he may take the most time to adjust to not being the "top dog" on the court, I'm not saying he is selfish, just used to being the centre of attention. Kong, on the other hand, has proved at Douglas (JUCO) that he can defer to other players and work with what is given to him. He even played point some of the time for Douglas.

I think that Zag fans will be very surprised at just how talented Bol is.

Did I say that I am excited?!!!

gamagin
03-11-2009, 03:24 PM

cat quickness & ball control (but not too much dribbling) will be needed at inbound points and MB's floor management will take over often after mid court.

Go TEAM Zags !