PDA

View Full Version : Behold, the power of the slight

FuManShoes
03-10-2009, 03:27 AM
It continues to amaze me how athletes perform when weighed down by the proverbial chip on their shoulder. Nearly to a man the Zags talked about feeling crushed by the loss to Davidson last year, humbled by the loss to Memphis, disappointed by the outcome of WCC awards, dissed by the commentators calling St. Mary's the better team and as the below article says, personally offended that the Gaels felt they could turn the tables on the Zags with Mills back. "Oh, no, you didn'!"

http://www.thenewstribune.com/1043/story/654449.html

So keep those slights, disses and bulletin board quotes coming, boys. The Zags are ornery and out to prove all you mofos wrong! And another thing, yo momma so fat she thinks Omar Samhan is an appetizer made of cheez wiz and ritz.

outrunu
03-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Best quote in the article: “They knew what they were playing for,” Mills said, “and we had no idea.”

FuManShoes
03-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Best quote in the article: “They knew what they were playing for,” Mills said, “and we had no idea.”

which seems incredible given that 95% of St. Mary's postseason hopes were on the line and GU's were not but for a desire to not get shipped off to a hostile court like they were last year. I will say this, Samhan and Simpson seemed to be playing hard -- perhaps too hard -- but St. Mary's guards and bench didn't bring it at all and Patty showed no ability or willingness to involve his teammates or find another way to play besides being "the man." Maybe he is ready for the NBA :)

ZagLawGrad
03-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Hope we keep the chip on the shoulder attitude. Loved Josh's nasty attitude side last night---take no prisoners.

DixieZag
03-10-2009, 06:58 AM
I am almost (but not quite there) hoping they get slighted with a 5 seed which I think would really upset them, with the way they played they are one of the best sixteen teams in the country and deserve at least a 4 seed, I like the way they play with a chip on their shoulder, but I like a four seed better.

ZagSlug
03-10-2009, 07:49 AM
I think the Mills quote was suggesting that his team did not bring it in the biggest game of the year.

They knew what they were playing for but didn't play like it.

gamagin
03-10-2009, 08:21 AM
even Few as sick of hearing about the miracle in moraga.

this loss of love penetrated a team that seemed like it had been canonized, and perhaps canonized itself, early on this year.

then, suddenly, inferior players and teams were getting more attention and awards than they were. being completely healthy and still ready, willling and able, they were being written off -- told a team they had beaten twice, with a wounded leader -- was still better than they were. Whaaaaa !?!?!!?!??!????

talk about focus. talk about incentive. talk about revenge.

It all came together. the timing was perfect. the event was set and the stage was full.

perfecto ! Nothing is better than perfect.

so they went for perfect and got it. The perfect wcc season.

Go TEAM Zags !

johno
03-10-2009, 08:55 AM

The way GU played, I don't think SM could have beaten them under any circumstances, but perhaps that EWU game scheduled later in the week prevented SM from playing with that survival mode intensity of "this could be our last game". I don't see how the EWU game helps them now, perhaps it would have in a closs loss to GU, but after getting blown out, I don't see i

BobZag
03-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Blanchette's column today is hilarious and true. Perhaps someone with an online subscription can post it. Good job, John.

ZagNative
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Go here and click the link to see it for free: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/mar/10/few-links/

Blanchette today (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/mar/10/bulldogs-slap-back/):

LAS VEGAS – Perhaps now the Cult of Patty Mills can take five.

The statue can be decommissioned. The hosannas can be cranked down from tabernacle pitch to a respectful hum. Everybody can reclaim their brains.

A great basketball player came back to try to win a championship Monday night in the West Coast Conference tournament. He – and the Saint Mary’s Gaels – ran into something better.

A great team...

former1dog
03-10-2009, 10:55 AM
The Zags trailed by six at halftime in that game. Didn’t the same Gonzaga team come from nine down with 18 minutes left to beat Tennessee in Knoxville, and from nine down to beat Oklahoma State? Aren’t either of those teams arguably better than the Gaels? Why did it become such a certainty the Zags wouldn’t have made the necessary adjustment?

Priceless!

BobZag
03-10-2009, 10:55 AM
John is the best, imho.

MotoZag
03-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Very awesome article.

rawkmandale
03-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Few: "If you stick with Gonzaga, it always ends up good."

Someone please send this Few quote to the Presidents of the Universities of Oregon and Arizona, and to the "nimrods" (per Blanchette) at ESPN, which could also probably include CBS. NCAA Coach's Hall of Fame, baby - right here in River City!

lothar98zag
03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Blanchette's column today is hilarious and true. Perhaps someone with an online subscription can post it. Good job, John.
I'm glad someone posted this article. some good quotes in there:

...a goodly number of ESPN nimrods fueled a grassfire that the Zags were certainly in for it.

“You couldn’t not hear it,” said Gonzaga’s Jeremy Pargo, who has matched up with Mills for two years now. “You had no choice if you turned on the TV. It frustrates you to hear people on TV say that Saint Mary’s is flat out better than us.

“It was a slap in the face.”

So the Zags slapped back, with a remarkable communal performance...

Zageist
03-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Does'nt it sound a little pathetic to talk trash before the game, then claim you were'nt ready after you get waxed?

johnwzag
03-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree with that article 100%!

hockeyzag
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I need to get the paper today and have that article framed. Just like everyone in Zagville even the writer was swelling with pride for what we did over the weekend.

I especially loved this bit:

“People forget, he was 0 for 8 on 2s in our place in the first half,” he said, “and I hear (ESPN analyst) Jay Bilas wax on about how they would have won. He hit six 3s, but at that time he (came in) shooting 30 percent from 3 and we weren’t playing him as a shooter. He’s a dangerous driver and a one-man fast break and we defended that well in Spokane – and why at halftime we felt pretty good.”

Your my boy Few.

lothar98zag
03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
“I think we deserve a (No.) 3- or a 4-seed. We’ll see how the NCAA tournament feels about these two wins and things like that,” said Gonzaga forward Micah Downs, the WCC tournament MVP. “If it’s lower than a 4-seed, I think we’d be somewhat disappointed.”

If disappointed = P.O.'d, should I be hoping for a 5 seed?

BobZag
03-10-2009, 01:52 PM
And has there ever been another player in the history of the WCC who has inspired quite so much reverence and myth making without actually having won anything?

Has there? Just askin'. I'm curious is all.

TokyoZag
03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
And has there ever been another player in the history of the WCC who has inspired quite so much reverence and myth making without actually having won anything?

Certainly not in the last decade.

There are however a bunch of reasons why the hype got so loud:

Mills Olympic performance and subsequent comments by CPaul and Coach K
A gaudy 3 pt barrage (which obscured the 2pt FG%) at GU
A similarly impressive record with Patty in the line-up
Dramatic injury which kept him in the news

Actually the Mills backlash at this point is probably an excessive swing in the opposite direction. He was the tourney MVP of the Rainbow Classic as a freshman and pivotal in our defeat at SMC last season. There's no doubt he's a great player, but for some reason, the mainstream media kinda latched onto him and for better or worse, he's now feeling the aftershocks of not living up to the expectations of the talking heads on TV. I almost feel sorry for him. That being said, it'll be nice to have a discussion about Gonzaga that doesn't include his name from here on out.

gamagin
03-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Bryant.