PDA

View Full Version : Sacre Hypothetical

GamblingZag
03-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Is there any point at which we play him?

Sweet Sixteen? Final Four?

Let's say we get a four seed, play like we did this tournament in the first weekend and have a sweet sixteen matchup with a one seed. Then Josh fouls out with ten minutes left (knock on wood). Whats the Play?

Tough call for me...

Thoughts?

MedZag
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
No way, for many reasons. Not fair to the big guy to spring it on him like that, you need to list a player and suit them if they are to play in a game, not fair to the big guy to burn his redshirt for 10 minutes of play, no game experience, rust, etc, etc, etc. I could list a top 25.

Between Foster and Brown, we have plenty of fouls to go around to keep Josh from fouling out with 10 left. Not to mention Daye can cheat to the 5 in dire straits (I believe we saw this for a few minutes tonight?).

Ole Roy
03-09-2009, 10:26 PM
He will be fun to watch next year. do not to waste a whole year now.

jim77
03-10-2009, 01:45 AM
This is a done deal.

DixieZag
03-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Additionaly, this team is playing as well as it as all season, Daye was working his tail of playing D and rebounding, same as Micah, this team has its chemistry down and there is no reason to believe that Sacre would add to that. Oh, and it is unfair to Sacre.

4AmericasTeam
03-10-2009, 05:39 AM
We all just saw last night how bringing a guy back too soon from injury can negatively affect a whole team, no matter how good the guy might be.

MyZags
03-10-2009, 06:15 AM
I cannot fathom any scenario that would have Sacre in uniform this season.

Can't worry about it now. Must focus all my energies on creating positive vibes towards this team. :D

Once and Future Zag
03-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Not under any circumstance.

Josh fouls out? The rest of the guys will step up- that's all.

zag67
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM
First I will agree with everyone about Robert. I also believe that the players we have can step up if Josh does get into foul trouble. If their center is not too big, then Ira can use his speed and hops. If he is big, then Foster can come in and do a good job on trying to limit him in the paint. And like was also stated we have Austin who can play some in the middle, with Micah, Matt, Steven, and Jeremy. That is a solid rebounding "team" with people that can create other mismatches.

gamagin
03-10-2009, 08:14 AM
imagine the kind of rust sacre would have to shake off under this kind of duress. Get the pix ?

why risk it ? Why burn a year to risk it ?

another thing, just because Sacre was on an upward learning curve, sort of like Mills got 6 3's against us earlier this season, does not mean he can do that at will, again, as he showed.

It got him a ton of publicity and a first team position in the WCC, but clearly, it also showed he is only human. And there will be subsequent questions about whether he should have risked really jamming that hand again to get smc to the dance.

I hope it heals up but in retrospect, I think Mills came back too soon and essentially risked his future, not just the tourney.

we'll see what happens.

Go TEAM Zags !

NotoriousZ
03-10-2009, 08:19 AM
imagine the kind of rust sacre would have to shake off under this kind of duress. Get the pix ?

why risk it ? Why burn a year to risk it ?

another thing, just because Sacre was on an upward learning curve, sort of like Mills got 6 3's against us earlier this season, does not mean he can do that at will, again, as he showed.

It got him a ton of publicity and a first team position in the WCC, but clearly, it also showed he is only human. And there will be subsequent questions about whether he should have risked really jamming that hand again to get smc to the dance.

I hope it heals up but in retrospect, I think Mills came back too soon and essentially risked his future, not just the tourney.

we'll see what happens.

Go TEAM Zags !

I think Mills was forced to come back to give the committee a reason to put SMC in the NCAA's. Hopefully, his swelling comes down a bit in his hand and he has a good showing against EWU. That was a great move for St. Mary's and I hope they get in.

gamagin
03-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I think Mills was forced to come back to give the committee a reason to put SMC in the NCAA's. Hopefully, his swelling comes down a bit in his hand and he has a good showing against EWU. That was a great move for St. Mary's and I hope they get in.

but the question is is it a good move for mills ? he's a few weeks off surgery. he jams it up, or takes another fall, against (you name the team) while it is still healing, and it could be career ending.

how is that a great move ?

that said, Sacre has not returned. He has had a long time to recover. I trust both he and the coaches will only consider putting him back on the roster if all agree on it being first and foremost in his best interest. I think smc considered its best interest first and there's the difference, imo.

Go TEAM Zags !

HillBillyZag
03-10-2009, 09:24 AM
IMHO Coach Few is not one to gamble wasting an entire season of Rob roaming the paint for the Zags to get an insurance policy against foul trouble for Josh. In case nobdy has noticed at 270+ Will Foster was doing some shoving on his own, just ask Samhan? This fan believes the big guy can take up enough space and play enough defense to get the job done and if more speed is required Ira can more than fill the bill. I still believe that Foster will blossom over the off season and we will get a much larger return next season from the big kid than many think.

Larrylegend
03-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Because Big Will got meaningful minutes in both WCC tourney games I do not think Sacre is playing in the Big Dance. At some point in the tourney, Foster will be a game changer that allows GU to move forward in the Dance.

SageOfZagville
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Think about this. If Few had "ANY" thoughts about going somewhere else after this year, don't you think he would burn Rob's redshirt and play him. I'm fairly confident that he will be at the helm of the Zags next year and not be at McKale or McArthur courts.(unless the Zags are playing there).

Some men are wise some otherwise - The Sage.