PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mills should shut it down.

former1dog
03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
In my honest opinion, Patty Mills should not be playing basketball. The way he is protecting his hand he's a danger to himself on the court.

St. Mary's is risking literally $millions at Mills expense by playing broken bone roulette.

I should say I don't have any medical expertise this is all just my opinion.

MDABE80
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Noted......

MotoZag
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Agreed.

They were a better team without Mills than a less than 100% Mills. They could have started one of their deep bench players if they wanted a guy to go 2-16 for the game.

UberZagFan
03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
F1D: you should e-mail that opinion to the Gaels medical staff. Obviously they need the assistance with clearing students to play.

ZagSlug
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
can't blame Mills for wanting to play and help his team especially considering this could be his last season at SMC. He is showing some serious guts coming back.

former1dog
03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
F1D: you should e-mail that opinion to the Gaels medical staff. Obviously they need the assistance with clearing students to play.

Point is, he favoring the hand and not protecting the rest of his body in any kind of natural way as you may have noticed them highlighting during the game. You fall awkwardly because you're protecting your hand and now all of sudden you're injured much worse than you should have been. It's just kind of dumb.

johnwzag
03-09-2009, 08:55 PM
can't blame Mills for wanting to play and help his team especially considering this could be his last season at SMC. He is showing some serious guts coming back.

seconded.

asoc
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Point is, he favoring the hand and not protecting the rest of his body in any kind of natural way as you may have noticed them highlighting during the game. You fall awkwardly because you're protecting your hand and now all of sudden you're injured much worse than you should have been. It's just kind of dumb.

I don't think he knew how to fall properly to begin with...
I mean he broke his hand. At least he is rolling with it now rather than just smashing his hand down against the floor.

kitzbuel
03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't think he knew how to fall properly to begin with...
I mean he broke his hand. At least he is rolling with it now rather than just smashing his hand down against the floor.

That is exactly how hockey players are trained to fall. Don't stick your arm out, but roll and absorb with you back and butt.

MotoZag
03-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Guts, or naive stupidity, whichever way you wanna look at it. I'm a Mills fan, as he's a classy guy, but he should have the wherewithal to know that his teams confidence will be better with him on the sidelines cheering them on then airballing 3s for a game.

ToreroStudent
03-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I can't blame mills and love his fire, but the man is NBA bound. I know he loves basketball, but it's time to have your future in mind instead of making a multi million dollar mistake.

Nevtelen
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm certainly not close enough to the situation to make any kind of determination, but Mills is nothing but class and likeability through and through and I would absolutely hate for something to happen to him that might endanger his future.

OTOH, maybe most of it is mental and there's not much physical risk. I think the EWU game will say a lot about the whole situation. SMC is looking smarter and smarter for scheduling that game IMO.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
As everyone here is aware, all the national media at the WCC tournament focused on Mills' return, but, ironically, Patty didn't do much to help his team. In fact, they may have been better off without him. Something's not right with him - whether it's rust, or he's still not fully healed.

ToreroStudent
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
It just seems like an awfully quick turnaround for a fracture. Even if it is healed, theres strengthening and rehab that goes into it.

Reborn
03-09-2009, 09:49 PM
This turned out exactly how I hoped it would, accept even worse. I thought Mills would hurt St. Mary's and he did. Real Bad. He was 2-16. 0 for from the 3 pt line. I couldn't believe how many shots he took. St. Mary's was much better against Utah St without Mills, and this could cost them a trip to March Madness. Sometimes you have to pocket your pride. I thought a lot of him as a player, but not much after tonight. I wish him the best, but he really hurt his team.

I am really really proud of the Zags for how they have handled all the Mills + St Mary's hype. They're a pretty humble group of guys, and I like that.

former1dog
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
To his credit, Mills showed class in defeat:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2008833597_webzags09.html

"When you shoot as bad as that, you have to look for something else to do, and I didn't do either," Mills said. "You have to fight through it. It's a learning experience. You go back home and learn from that and move on. My hand is fine. I'm not going to use it as an excuse."

Nevtelen
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Every interview and snippet I've seen about Mills shows that he's nothing but class. I really do wish him and SMC the best - it'd be nice to see them in the Dance. It's been a while since the WCC has had multiple bids two years in a row. Perhaps early 2000s? I'm too lazy to look it up right now.