PDA

View Full Version : Hot at the right time

Larrylegend
03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Wow, what a season! Since the Memphis drubbing, Gonzaga went undefeated and closed their season out with two impressive wins in the WCC tourney! A 4 seed?

I am cautiously optimistic as we head into the Big Dance.

zagco
03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Zagco is as pleased and impressed with our recent play as he's ever been with a Gonzaga team.

This apparent move to allow Bolden to do more point guarding and setting up plays seems like a really good idea. He is sooooo clever, and we're not losing anything on defense, because Pargo or Grey or Goodson can take that role on against the best.

Of course, it seems like anytime that Zagco starts really liking a lineup, it changes, so we'll see.

This was a very impressive win. Great shooting, great defense, and just some really obvious mismatch issues that we exploited. Saint Mary's obviously has some issues with Patty Mills, and they probably could say that they were a bit cold shooting-wise, but this was just a silly beatdown that was completely over halfway through the second half and could have been much, much worse than it was. There was a point where the refs almost seemed to quit calling anything, as if they just wanted it to be over. Man, what a beatdown!

zag67
03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I agree and think that they have earned a 4 seed. They also look like they are playing the best they have all year. This should be fun to watch and things work out to define the brackets next Sunday.

PDXZag
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Do you think we could convince the NCAA to start the tournament in about 2 days? I don't want this team to cool off at all. They are smokin' right now!

kdaleb
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
If the Zags get a four seed, they'll either be in Boise or Portland. I'm (for very selfish reasons) really hoping they end up in Portland.

thespywhozaggedme
03-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Zagco is as pleased and impressed with our recent play as he's ever been with a Gonzaga team.

This apparent move to allow Bolden to do more point guarding and setting up plays seems like a really good idea. He is sooooo clever, and we're not losing anything on defense, because Pargo or Grey or Goodson can take that role on against the best.

Of course, it seems like anytime that Zagco starts really liking a lineup, it changes, so we'll see.

This was a very impressive win. Great shooting, great defense, and just some really obvious mismatch issues that we exploited. Saint Mary's obviously has some issues with Patty Mills, and they probably could say that they were a bit cold shooting-wise, but this was just a silly beatdown that was completely over halfway through the second half and could have been much, much worse than it was. There was a point where the refs almost seemed to quit calling anything, as if they just wanted it to be over. Man, what a beatdown!

Constantly referring to yourself in the third person is equivalent to telling the same joke over and over and over and over and over....thespywhozaggedme doesn't like that. ;) Not knowing how to spell the last name of one of your own; thespywhozaggedme really hates that. :p

NotoriousZ
03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Hopefully they can relax for a few days, get back into some serious practices around Thursday, enjoy Selection Sunday, and get ready for what could be a memorable run.

Go Zags!

gamagin
03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
OUR TEAM firing on all cylinders.

GREAT TEAMWORK !

Go TEAM Zags !

edcasey
03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
consistency, consistency consistency...other than few bumps in the road the team has CONSISTENTLY played well all year long;;;

Early january they were

#1 in country field goal defense
#21 in country for least amount turnovers per game
#22 in country for assist to turnover margin
#9 in country for scoring margin

Now as of last nights game:

#2 in country in field goald defense at 37.2% (behind Memphis)
#14 in country for least amount of turnovers per game
#17 in country assist to turnover margin
#2 in scoring margin
#27 in Block shots per game
#9 in Feild goal shooting percentage for the offense
#40 overall for points per game (slightly inflated due to some blowouts0

****noticed we improved over the last 6 weeks of the season....just as a good coach would want his team to do.

Those are great stats, team basketball and shows the consistency of a great team, cohesive unit playing together on the defensive end.

We are tournament ready. Go out and have some fun.

MedZag
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Really, really like how this team is playing.

Agree with Few: "If we play like that in the NCAA tournament, we're going to go a really, really, really long way."

Now just gotta maintain that intensity in practice through the 10 day layoff.

Few should pull an Izzo and bust out the football pads in practice. Let the kids have some fun and get a good physical workout in.

TigerEye
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Really, really like how this team is playing.

Agree with Few: "If we play like that in the NCAA tournament, we're going to go a really, really, really long way."

Now just gotta maintain that intensity in practice through the 10 day layoff.

Few should pull an Izzo and bust out the football pads in practice. Let the kids have some fun and get a good physical workout in.

Just don't pull an Izzo and get matched up with Memphis. That didn't work out too well for ol' Sparty last time.

Zag79
03-10-2009, 11:00 PM
the way the fellas are playing really dispells any notion that they are not as good as expected, soft, over rated, or any of the other crap i heard whiny babies on this board spewing. this team is deep, highly skilled, tough, confident, everything you need to reach a F4. no it doesnt guarantee anything, but these Zags can beat anyone and we should be excited and thankful for this season! may it go deep into march!

brian_sun
03-10-2009, 11:27 PM
this team is deep, highly skilled, tough, confident, everything you need to reach a F4. no it doesnt guarantee anything, but these Zags can beat anyone and we should be excited and thankful for this season! may it go deep into march!

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except the tough part. We will see how tough they are when they face adversity in the tourney. I hope the nightmarish finish of the 2006 UCLA game doesn't happen again. But history tells us that you have to go through some tough games in order to advance to the FF, or cut down the whole net. Without Robert Sacre, I think there's something missing. If you watch Jon Brockman play, the guy will hit you on the mouth to box you out to get an offensive rebound. I don't see that person on this Zags team. If you are the 4th seed, let's face it, you are going to have to play the No. 1 seed in the sweet 16. As it stands now, UNC, Pitt and Memphis could be that No. 1 seed. We know about Memphis, but do you have someone who can grab a tough rebound from a Tyler Hansborough or a DeJuan Blair? That's where you need Rober Sacre.

jim77
03-10-2009, 11:53 PM
The team is playing as well as one could hope right now. I think this team has an excellent shot at making it to the sweet 16. Getting beyond that will be interesting. I just hope we don't see anybody with Memphis type quickness till late. I'd rather play Pitt than Memphis. Pitt doesn't have the speed to keep us from doing a lot of the things we do....Memphis does. Pitt can rough you up but, we can still get our shots.

Zag79
03-10-2009, 11:59 PM
the ucla game didnt have anything to do with toughness IMO. that zag team was tough and scrappy. the problem from this arm chair couch is simple. few took the foot off the throat way too soon. by the time we needed a big shot our stars were cold. game planning hurt us that game more than anything a player could do. this team has more toughness than many think. to go undefeated in ANY league, go to Tenn and break that streak while in a slump, RE-gelling after Rob goes down, etc are all signs of a tough team. no we dont have a visible tough guy ala brockman, but after each game i can name a player who played "tough" and helped us win.