• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

WCC Refereeing

An absolute embarassment. They were particularly awful in the St. Mary's v. Portland game last night.

I hope they do a better job tonight.
  • SageOfZagville
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Feb 2007

I thought Portland got jobbed last night. Every close call went St Mary's way. It was as if the refs had a mandate to get St Mary's into the Championship. Do you think thats possible?

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SageOfZagville View Post
      I thought Portland got jobbed last night. Every close call went St Mary's way. It was as if the refs had a mandate to get St Mary's into the Championship. Do you think thats possible?
      I wouldn't agree with your statement.

I just thought it was overall awful. In my opinion, it was borderline dangerous as a lot of rough play was allowed.

Comment

• zag944
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

it is an embaressment. I wont say it was unfair because it was equally bad, but its still just awful.

Coaches are frequently fired in this industry when they cant live up to expectations that are often unrealistic. Student athletes are called out on ESPN when they underperform. Yet, somehow, the referees, as much a part of the product we consume as anyone, are never held accountable for their frequent incompetence. I know its a hard job and all, but Id like some reassurance that the NCAA is striving to improve its output.

Comment

• EngineerZag
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Feb 2007

WCC refs call more flops than any conference I've ever seen.

They also are the quickest to call a jump ball of anyone I've ever seen.

Once in a while I will turn to my wife and say, "Wow, that game was well officiated!" Much more often than not, though, it's terrible.

Comment

• MedZag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

In the Gaels-Pilots game, they were allowed a bar fight underneath the hoop on defense and for boards, then were calling ticky tack fouls up top and some questionable offensive charging calls. It was really a head scratcher.
            Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
            You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• bballbeachbum
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2008

umm, unfortunately I have to agree. Watched SMU/PU...I recall feeling embarrassment at different times, too, for the league on national tv...won't go into it. Being a ref is tough, but I'm not apologizing for them at all.

Any refs on this board? Love to hear your comments; certainly do respect how tough your job is, how important it is.

Here's hoping tonight they have a great game.

Comment

• UberZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Pitiful, all the around. It's not just "WCC" refs though...these guys ref in other conferences out west and do just as bad there as well.
                If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• lothar98zag
                  PostPadder General
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                  An absolute embarassment. They were particularly awful in the St. Mary's v. Portland game last night.

I hope they do a better job tonight.
                  might see Libby tonight...
                  youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• former1dog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by lothar98zag View Post
                    might see Libby tonight...
                    Fortunately (IMNSHO), the game won't be close enough for there to be an opportunity to grandstand on national television.

Comment

• lothar98zag
                      PostPadder General
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                      Fortunately (IMNSHO), the game won't be close enough for the grandstanding on national television to affect the outcome.
                      fixed?

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• kitzbuel
                        • Feb 2007

I found officiating to be very schizophrenic this year. You never knew what was or wasn't going to be allowed until about 25 minutes into the game. If there was a point of emphasis from the NCAA, it was hard to detect. I remember one game where that little extra step on the drive or pass was being relentlessly called, then the next game it was time to pack your bags. Blocking/charge calls have been very irregular, even within games.

They minimum you would hope for is consistency so the players know the limits, but it seemed like the refs wanted to keep players and coaches off balance.
                        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• DADoZAG
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2009

The refs are the single biggest thing holding the WCC back. imho.

The league now has some big time $, spend it on some better stripes.
                          Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• Whistleblower
                            Redshirt
                            • Mar 2009

Officiating

Worst possible scenario is if the officiating determines the outcome tonight. Judging from the two semi-final games, that is a very real possibility. Officiating is tough at any level. But, with all of the hand-checking and wrist slapping that Randy Bennet's teams do, it is hard to beleive that the Pilots only had 8 free throw attempts while the Gaels had 30. St. Mary's won that game at the free throw line because they were given the opportunity. That just doesn't bode well for a decently called championship game tonight.

Comment

• Robzagnut
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Whistleblower View Post
                              Worst possible scenario is if the officiating determines the outcome tonight. Judging from the two semi-final games, that is a very real possibility. Officiating is tough at any level. But, with all of the hand-checking and wrist slapping that Randy Bennet's teams do, it is hard to beleive that the Pilots only had 8 free throw attempts while the Gaels had 30. St. Mary's won that game at the free throw line because they were given the opportunity. That just doesn't bode well for a decently called championship game tonight.
                              I'm a GU fan who watched the whole Pilot / Gaels game last night. Looked okay to me. They called it well on both sides. The reason St Mary's got 30 FT attempts was they were pounding the ball inside and driving to the basket. Portland was settling for jump shots. There were a few questionable calls, but no stand up and shout bad calls. Plus, St Mary's got 8-10 FTs at the end of the game due to Portland trying to foul to catch up.

Comment

Working...
                              X