PDA

View Full Version : 03/09/09 Rankings and Bracketology

gu03alum
03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Gonzaga is 12 in the coaches poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings).

BobZag
03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Zags inch up and Gaels join the party--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Zags inch up in USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

AP Poll is forthcoming.

gu03alum
03-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I know the rankings don't translate to seedings, but it seems silly that the 12th ranked team is a five seed. Simple math would make them be a low third seed.

bigparb
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I know the rankings don't translate to seedings, but it seems silly that the 12th ranked team is a five seed. Simple math would make them be a low third seed.

would rather be the #1 or #2 four or five seed than the low 3; that way we stay close to home(portland/Boise)....if we were the low 3, we'd find ourselves playing for from home....

BobZag
03-09-2009, 10:52 AM
You probably remember 6th ranked Gonzaga in 2002 getting a 6 seed and having to play in high altitude ABQ against a higher altitude MWC champion Wyoming team on one of its MWC courts.

cggonzaga
03-09-2009, 11:19 AM
You gotta love Washington's meteoric rise in the polls in the last couple weeks just because they won the Pac 10. I personally don't see one Pac 10 school making it past the first weekend of the tournament. Definitely not past the Sweet 16. Some years the BCS conferences just aren't good. This year it's the Pac 10 and SEC and somewhat the Big 10. Just because your a top team in one of these leagues doesn't make you an automatic top 15 team in the country.

former1dog
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
GU also 12th in the AP.

gu03alum
03-09-2009, 11:36 AM
You probably remember 6th ranked Gonzaga in 2002 getting a 6 seed and having to play in high altitude ABQ against a higher altitude MWC champion Wyoming team on one of its MWC courts.

Yeah, that was total BS.

gu03alum
03-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I think the AP poll has a better idea of where Washington belongs, one spot behind GU. I'm not sure how a team that hasn't beaten anyone out of conference and hardly dominated (4 losses) a weak pac 10 conference should be ranked so high.

TM27
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
You gotta love Washington's meteoric rise in the polls in the last couple weeks just because they won the Pac 10. I personally don't see one Pac 10 school making it past the first weekend of the tournament. Definitely not past the Sweet 16. Some years the BCS conferences just aren't good. This year it's the Pac 10 and SEC and somewhat the Big 10. Just because your a top team in one of these leagues doesn't make you an automatic top 15 team in the country.

I will never figure out what the draw is about UW? This school from in-season rankings to recruiting is consistently overrated....in every damn sport.

They must be rewarded out of sympathy for wearing the purple and gold color combo in public?

UberZagFan
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
would rather be the #1 or #2 four or five seed than the low 3; that way we stay close to home(portland/Boise)....if we were the low 3, we'd find ourselves playing for from home....

Not sure where this comes from but if GU was a #3 they still would have the same chances of playing in Portland or Boise. But the issue probably doesn't matter as GU is not getting a 3 seed with its RPI, SOS, and records vs. Top 50.

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Huskies were demanding respect and I suspect they now feel they got it. But, be careful what you ask for. UW is on the radar now and will be taken a lot more seriously for it. Combine that with having to leave Hec Ed to play some unfamiliar opponents, and it might just be an early exit.

brian_sun
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I will never figure out what the draw is about UW? This school from in-season rankings to recruiting is consistently overrated....in every damn sport.

They must be rewarded out of sympathy for wearing the purple and gold color combo in public?

I am sorry, but you realize we do have the current NL Cy Young winner, no to mention our school's basketball players are doing a lot better than GU's basketball players in the NBA. After inheriting a horrible basketball program, coach Romar has taken the Huskies to 4 of the 6 last NCAA tournies, while compling a .640 winning percentage in the Pac 10 and .740 winning percentage overall. We've finished 2nd and higher in the pac-10 4 of the last 6 seasons. Besides UCLA, UW has arguablly been the 2nd best team in the Pac 10 in the last 6 years. And that's a conference including AZ, Cal, Stanford, USC and a team that's been to more elite 8 than Gonzaga in the last decade: Oregon. Our football program might be down a bit in the last several years, but don't talk trash about our basketball program.

brian_sun
03-09-2009, 01:13 PM

I am sorry, but what are you talking about? You are telling me if GU were in the Pac-10, they can do better than 14-4 in this league? We know you lost to AZ in a neutral court already. We know you beat WSU at their place. You are telling me you won't drop couple games at UCLA, ASU, Cal, USC, and drop one game at home? OK, we wouldn't go 14-0 in WCC because we lost to Portland earlier in the season, but I don't think you would go 14-0 with a healthy Patrick Mills in SMC either. All I know is you went 1-1 against 2 middle of the road Pac-10 teams. Based on this bracket, I see GU going to the sweet 16, but I have a hard time seeing GU getting by BOTH Louisville and Memphis, especially given Memphis took GU to the shed for a horrendus beat down in Spokane last month. I don't see GU go further than UW in that bracket.

zagman1111
03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Our ranking still baffles, me, though. We haven't played and beaten any team in the current top 25. At least UW has. The Huskies also have an RPI of 13 (dropped this week from 10), compared to our RPI of 34.

cggonzaga
03-09-2009, 02:21 PM
I am sorry, but what are you talking about? You are telling me if GU were in the Pac-10, they can do better than 14-4 in this league? We know you lost to AZ in a neutral court already. We know you beat WSU at their place. You are telling me you won't drop couple games at UCLA, ASU, Cal, USC, and drop one game at home? OK, we wouldn't go 14-0 in WCC because we lost to Portland earlier in the season, but I don't think you would go 14-0 with a healthy Patrick Mills in SMC either. All I know is you went 1-1 against 2 middle of the road Pac-10 teams. Based on this bracket, I see GU going to the sweet 16, but I have a hard time seeing GU getting by BOTH Louisville and Memphis, especially given Memphis took GU to the shed for a horrendus beat down in Spokane last month. I don't see GU go further than UW in that bracket.

Pretty sure I never said one thing about Gonzaga or where we should be ranked or what our record would be in the Pac 10. I just don't think Washington is among the top 15 teams in the country. The Pac 10 is weak this year. There is only 3 guaranteed to get in; UW, UCLA and ASU. Cal probably gets in but USC and Arizona are definite bubble teams. And none of those teams are great. The Huskies are good but your guards are too small to go to deep in the tournament (see 06' Villanova) when you have to play a team out of the Big 10, Big 12 or Big East or any team equally or more athletic. If Brockman gets in any foul trouble whatsoever, it's over. Again, I'm just talking about UW, not my Zags.

brian_sun
03-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Pretty sure I never said one thing about Gonzaga or where we should be ranked or what our record would be in the Pac 10. I just don't think Washington is among the top 15 teams in the country. The Pac 10 is weak this year. There is only 3 guaranteed to get in; UW, UCLA and ASU. Cal probably gets in but USC and Arizona are definite bubble teams. And none of those teams are great. The Huskies are good but your guards are too small to go to deep in the tournament (see 06' Villanova) when you have to play a team out of the Big 10, Big 12 or Big East or any team equally or more athletic. If Brockman gets in any foul trouble whatsoever, it's over. Again, I'm just talking about UW, not my Zags.

You are dead wrong. OK, the Huskies are 0-2 when Brockman fouled out this year. But they are 6-2 when Brockman has four fouls this year. That's about the same winning percentage they have overall. So they definitely know how to play when big Jon is in foul trouble. As far as small guards making it far in the tourney, Khalid El-Amin says hello. And we did fine with Nate Robinson at the point before, we will do fine with IT and Dentmon running the show. What makes you think that the teams in the Big 10 and Big 12 will give us more fits than the Pac 10 teams, where we went 14-4?

lothar98zag
03-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Zags inch up and Gaels join the party--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Zags inch up in USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

AP Poll is forthcoming.
also, Palm updates his field:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11233762

GU #4
SMC #11

lothar98zag
03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
also, Palm updates his field:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11233762

GU #4
SMC #11
and the ultimate bracket projection summary site shows GU @ 5:

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

TM27
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I am sorry, but you realize we do have the current NL Cy Young winner, no to mention our school's basketball players are doing a lot better than GU's basketball players in the NBA. After inheriting a horrible basketball program, coach Romar has taken the Huskies to 4 of the 6 last NCAA tournies, while compling a .640 winning percentage in the Pac 10 and .740 winning percentage overall. We've finished 2nd and higher in the pac-10 4 of the last 6 seasons. Besides UCLA, UW has arguablly been the 2nd best team in the Pac 10 in the last 6 years. And that's a conference including AZ, Cal, Stanford, USC and a team that's been to more elite 8 than Gonzaga in the last decade: Oregon. Our football program might be down a bit in the last several years, but don't talk trash about our basketball program.

Congrats on Timmy Lincecomb...that must be why UW is overrated in basketball and football... wait should I pull scouts recruiting rankings for UW basketball and football?

Throw all the stats you want at me about UW basketball...if they were that good the GU series never gets cancelled. Reason it was cancelled is because GU was wiping the floor with them and when UW is losing that game it becomes a hole in their argument. Lets say UW wins half those games...the series continues.

Listen lets be honest with each other...we are both biased. If you truly believe that UW is the number 10 team in all the land...and want to continue this then carry on. I personally dont think GU is #12 in the land but then I remember that Jason Bay is an alumnus and the ranking is suddenly clear ;)

and did I miss something with your Khalid reference...you do realize that he actually was an undersized offensive lineman running the point for UConn way back in the day? Not a small guard at all. I mean what was he....5-10 or 11 and like 200+ of muscle fat. For all you muscle fat people out there you know what I am talking about.

BoZarth
03-09-2009, 03:21 PM

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=921743

Go Zags!!!!

WallaWallaZag
03-09-2009, 03:22 PM

actually, i think uw would be in better shape without brockman than we would without josh since big rob isn't around...also, as much as i hate to say this, i think dentmon has progressed this year about as much as pargo seems to have regressed, though the santa clara game last night was encouraging...

LynetteG
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
if we are anything but a #4 or #5 seed then I will cry conspiracy theory. A #12 ranking should get a #4 or #5... I know, don't tell me polls don't matter, though. That BS when we were ranked #6 and got a 6 seed was total CRAP.

cggonzaga
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
As far as small guards making it far in the tourney, Khalid El-Amin says hello. And we did fine with Nate Robinson at the point before, we will do fine with IT and Dentmon running the show. What makes you think that the teams in the Big 10 and Big 12 will give us more fits than the Pac 10 teams, where we went 14-4?

One small guard is different from 3 small guards. Are any of them over 6'? I think IT and Dentmon are terrific but they're going to struggle against bigger guards which they'll face in the tournament. Nate also had 6'6" Roy and 6'3" Conroy next to him. That team was great, this one is not. Going 14-4 in the Pac 10 is not that impressive to me this year. Especially when there isn't really one other dominating team in the conference. Also, many starting guards in the Pac 10 this year were very small where size didn't come into play most nights out.

kclubfounder
03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Zagloser0000 is a joke.

When you get your #### head coach to play us then maybe you can come on our board with a real name and try to smack talk.