PDA

View Full Version : Same game plan as always for St. Mary's

CDC84
03-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Keep Patty Mills out of the lane, and do not let the Gaels go crazy on the boards (especially the offensive boards). Daye and Heytvelt also need to stay out of heavy foul trouble.

Based on my observation, the area where the hand injury is effecting Mills the most is with his long range shooting. He has a very funny release right now, and most everything is coming up short. His dribble seems to be fine...although it could be better. Despite the fact that he nailed Gonzaga for six three pointers in the 1st half in late January, it is more important to keep Mills out of the lane where he is not only most effective as a scorer, but where he can also create for others. If he starts knocking down 3 pointers, in game adjustments can be made. But to start with, Gonzaga should defend him just like they did in Spokane. That is, make him prove it from the outside.

The Gaels have overwhelmed Gonzaga on the glass this season. In late January, SMC outrebounded GU by 7 and secured 6 more offensive rebounds. In Moraga, the Gaels outrebounded the Zags by 13 and secured 6 more offensive rebounds. Gonzaga has had rebounding issues this whole year, but they have got to keep the Gaels from getting too many extra possessions tonight if they want to build any sort of working margin. I don't think the Zags need to outrebound the Gaels....they just need to avoid too much of a differential.

The need to keep Daye and Heytvelt on the floor is self explanatory.

If the Zags can do these things, I feel very confident about GU bringing home a WCC tournament trophy. It looks as though the offense is kicking on all cylinders right now. My only worry continues to be Steven Gray. Now that Gonzaga has Micah Downs on track, Gray remains the only guy in the main rotation who has yet to really, really get it going for March Madness. It would be nice to see him knock down some long range shots tonight. I also expect Josh to score more tonight versus St. Mary's. I think so much of his effort went into stopping Bryant last night, and that SCU was doing some different things defensively to keep Josh from killing them like he did at SCU.

gamagin
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
contested every single drive to the basket.

It cut smc's scoring in half, too, as they missed about that many f.t's.

Otherwise we must play our game better than they play theirs. And don't let Patty get his self esteem back.

Go team Zags !

Reborn
03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
The key I think is for us to play an uptempo game. That's how we play best. I'm looking for a nice high scoring game. This, of course means that we need to rebound, and I think we will. The Zags looked very good rebounding last night, and Bryant is a terrific boader and we held him to 9 boards. We can do the same tonight. The matchup between Daye and Simpson will be a key factor. I think Austin wins this matchup tonight. Austin appears ready for the next step, which is winning this tournament.

I seeing the Zags winning every matchup tonight and winning by fifteen points. They are ready. Jeremy is tired of hearing about Mills, believe me.

The Gaels will be giving it everything they have because they played poorly last night. I think if they look as bad tonight as they did last night they will not get into the tournament. So I expect better play out of them. I think they were looking past Portland, and will be ready tonight. I just don't think they will contain the GU offense. It's just too potent.

bballbeachbum
03-09-2009, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=CDC84;394154]Keep Patty Mills out of the lane, and do not let the Gaels go crazy on the boards (especially the offensive boards). Daye and Heytvelt also need to stay out of heavy foul trouble.

Based on my observation, the area where the hand injury is effecting Mills the most is with his long range shooting. QUOTE]

Step up together and let's do this!!! All season, then everything here and now, the opportunity earned to go for it...Man, GO FOR IT guys!!! Oh yes we are behind you!

refocus...that's the game. refocus right now, and lay out for the victory

what BZ's always saying...be the hunter! You can do it!

GO ZAGS!!!