PDA

View Full Version : Pargo's Elevation

HRZag
03-09-2009, 07:24 AM
It has been a while since we have seen Pargo go to the hoop and lay down a big tommy hawk dunk.

Last night's miss got me wondering, has he been playing hurt or limited somehow. There was some mention of possible back problems.

He had a great game, just not the same pop he had earlier.

Any ideas?

ZagMan in Philly
03-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I put the blame on the Orleans Buffet! :)

gu03alum
03-09-2009, 07:52 AM
His back is hurting.

cggonzaga
03-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I've been thinking that the whole 2nd half of the season. He definitely doesn't have the same explosion as before.

Reborn
03-09-2009, 07:56 AM
whatever his problem is, it sure has helped his shooting. I'll take better shooting and fewer turnovers over dunks. Keep it simple Jeremy. Just lay it in.

HRZag
03-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I have to agree, I will take a more controlled Pargo over the dunking Pargo if it means less turnovers.

Sort of like Josh, he isn't skying like earlier, playing a bit more controlled and on the ground, but very effective.

CDC84
03-09-2009, 08:01 AM
It was revealed recently that Pargo has had problems with one of his calf muscles since the UConn game. It's been a lingering nuisance.

Despite the missed dunk, and how the injury may be effecting his elevation, it seems to me that his calf is starting to get better. Throughout a great deal of late January and early February, Pargo was committing turnovers with his handle....which is something he has never done during his career at Gonzaga. I remember watching him during the game at USF....it was if his dribble was faster than his body could move. He just didn't have any acceleration. We're starting to see his acceleration again, which is good news.

EngineerZag
03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
JP seems to be getting back in form and that's great news. The missed dunk doesn't bother me, it happens.

HRZag
03-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Missed dunks happen.....yeah, like everyone I have ever tried on a 10 ft basket!

Go Zags!

johnwzag
03-09-2009, 08:35 AM
It was revealed recently that Pargo has had problems with one of his calf muscles since the UConn game. It's been a lingering nuisance.

Really? Where did you hear this?

gamagin
03-09-2009, 08:38 AM
over compensating for "something."

That seemed to have disappeared vs. SCU and his sharpness seems to have returned. Great news if it's true. We'll soon see.

Go team Zags !

CDC84
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Spokesman-Review...I think. It was noted in a recent article.

I'll leave it to ZagNative to come up with a link :o

Pargo the Destroyer
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
During warmups yesterday he was going up and dunking things I don't think he had any business dunking. He was very springy from my view, 6 rows up. I don't think he had a good angle on the break and I think that may have contributed. Right after that missed dunk and the turnover that followed, he went to the bench and went down to the end and started to the sitting butterfly stretch. Maybe he tweaked a groin? Who knows but he came back and looked fine to me .

lothar98zag
03-09-2009, 12:05 PM
... He just didn't have any acceleration. We're starting to see his acceleration again, which is good news.
@ the SMC & USF games I attended, I noted several times he didn't jump as high as I'm used to seeing (layups, dunks, etc). I figured there was something wrong physically, but didn't know what.

I agree w/ CDC that he looks faster recently. And based on his recent speed, I was surprised he was blocked by the rim last night. Maybe he had played extra hard until then and didn't have as much in the tank as he thought...who knows...

UberZagFan
03-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Few brought it up in a recent article. It may have been right after senior night.

MDABE80
03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Blocked by the rim.....and on National TV!!! The place got quiet......but not because of a spectacular dunk. Jeremy had a terrific game....unexpectedly so. He needs to quit that. Very embarrasing......besides he'll hurt his back, wrist or reaggravate something else.
PG's should be running the team......layups, etc. I know I'm old fashioned.

mainer6
03-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Two thoughts: I thought his stride was off a bit, but that is seen through a JustinTv feed so who knows. Second, long season. I would guess, as fit and anthletic as these guys are, they might lose a bit of spring this time of the year.

My girlfirend, who notices things I often don't, said last night that Pargo looked mean. She used to think he was a kind of sweet looking but thought he had a bit of scowl last night. He played with a new attitude and was great. Here's to the mean Pargo--even if he misses a dunk in a blowout.