PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs St. Mary's prediction thread

Reborn
03-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Gonzaga 77
St. Mary's 62

The game is tainted still because Mills is not 100%. It's still a very good win for the Zags, and it's a great game. Mills is held to 13 pts. He looks good, but his shooting is still off somewhat but he has ten days to get ready for the NCAA's.

The pundits are fabbergasted, and have a difficult time explaining how the Zags could defeat Patty Mills. It had to be his hand. It's definitely tainted. Mills would have been unstoppable if the hand was totally healed. ESPN pundits all blame it on the hand because the Zags are really not as good as they appear tonight. One of the pundits actually blames St. Mill's loss onto Mark Few because he was the one behind moving the conference tournament to Las Vegas. They surmised that Few did an analysis of possible sites and discovered that Vegas would be the one place that St. Patty Mills U would be distracted by the bright lights. St. Mary's demands a replay in a make up game before the NCAA tournament.

The Zags have waited for this one since Mills went down. The world thinks Mills has something to prove, but they have forgotten that it's really Gonzaga who has something to prove. They've heard continuously how much better St. Mary's is than Gonzaga, and that Gonzaga is too SOFT. The defenders and rebounders really show up tonight. The Zags show that there is a lot more to toughness then bronze. They show that execution and team play, both on offense and defense is what it's about (playing smart). The Zags slowly walk away with this one.

bartruff1
03-09-2009, 06:54 AM
IF they believe in their defense and let it start the offense they will win by 10 or more...say 78 to 65. If they shoot with the free and easy confidense they had last night....well....it could be a blow out....love to watch this team when they are on a roll...

zagnut52
03-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Zags will win by at least 15 -20 points.:) :)

zaguarxj
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
I predict that I will cringe every time I see Mills high-five a teammate with his right hand. I predict that Diamond Simpson will miss at least 3 bunnies but get the bucket on the 2nd or 3rd try. I predict that SMC's O'Leary can not possibly have a worse game than he did in the 1st SMC/GU game this year. Austin Daye and Matt will get Simpson in foul trouble by taking it to the hoop off the dribble, Josh will deal with Samhan and Zags should win going away.

johnwzag
03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Another poor shooting night for St. Mary's.

IrishZagFan
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Just win, baby!

former1dog
03-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Gonzaga by 15+. In the end, it won't be close.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Gary Parrish likes the Zags to win tonight.

WARNING: The game preview below contains heavy amounts of SMC talk and may, as a result, cause projectile vometing.

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/collegebasketball/bnSRKDd75hQBNlghGnvege6WD5UY540R?source=videobox_c ollegebasketball

NOTE: Parrish has his stats screwed up. He says the Gaels are 19-1 this year w/ Mills in the line-up. UTEP beat SMC with Mills. Mills played against the Zags in Spokane, and the Gaels lost that game, too.

ZagsGoZags
03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
GU 77
St Mary's 75

It's going to be close
I'm glad they will probably be in the Dance even if we beat them tonight, but
their motivation ought to be off the charts tonight,
and some on the Sunday selection committee will be watching Mills closely
I expect tooth, nail and claw

UberZagFan
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
GU by 10.

Oh, and the loss to GU probably is not being counted because, well as we have all heard so many times, SMC was up by 6 when Mills left the game and so that is not really a loss with Mills in the lineup.

jim77
03-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I think our ability to hit the 3 will decide this game....like it has in most of our losses. St.May's probably has the better inside game which will slow our inside game abit. This slowing will force us to hit the "3". I also think our transition game can help us.....that will depend on ST. Mary's ability to slow it down. I think the will be mostly successful leaving us with the "3". I think St.Mary's has a lot more riding on this game as their tourney bid is in jeopardy without a victory. I think Mills doesn't have to score a bunch, he just needs to disrtribute the ball with his speed....which he's capable of doing.

Bottomline: St. Mary's wants and needs the win more and they have barely enough Mills to get it done.....along with the better inside game. SM 75 GU 72

P.S. If the Zags are to pull it out it wil be because Hetvelt played a great game and the Zags won the rebounding....I still think the Gaels will win the boards. Micah =x man???? He's the other guy who can control the outcome with his rebounding and scoring from 3 land.

DADoZAG
03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
If the ZAGS can push it like they did last night, by mid point of the 2nd, St. Mary's will have only one horse on the court (and it won't be Patty Mills).

Make St. Mary's run and our depth will turn the 2nd half into a ZAGS showcase.

brian_sun
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Based on Lunardi's bracket, I think St. Mary as a 10 seed will beat Cal as a 7 seed. I say 75-71, St. Mary over Cal.

MyZags
03-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I predict the Zags will lead the entire way. No come-from-behind-second half.

SMU=65
The Good Guys=83

lothar98zag
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
kenpom says: (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga) GU 75 - SMC 66; GU w/82% chance of a W

works for me...

hockeyzag
03-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I hope we crush them!!!

I hope to hear from everyone who said St. Mary's would've beaten us twice if they had Patty admit how unbelievably wrong they were and that they will never doubt the Zags WCC dominance again!!!

GO ZAGS!!!!

.....Ok I'm calm

zagsfan21
03-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I've got Zags 76-65.

maineblackbear
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I predict the game will be played. I have given up on predicting this Zag team-we have all the talent in the world and I enjoy watching this team play. This team could go to the FF or it could go home after an inexplicable loss in round one. Either way, and regardless of result tonight I will have enjoyed watching this group of young men play and I will accept the result. No prediction. St. Mary's is not as good as Gonzaga on paper--but our boys have had a few flat efforts this season. mbb

4AmericasTeam
03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
My prediction is NIT for St. Marys

gamagin
03-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Zags. Crushing St. Mary's. Even scoring. GREAT teamwork. Wonderful night.

The zags end the season UN defeated and the lady Zags take their conference crown, too.

former1dog
03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Gonzaga by 15+. In the end, it won't be close.

:D

johnwzag
03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Another poor shooting night for St. Mary's.

:D