TacomaZAG
03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Really????????

That was him?????????

Guess it wasn't San Diego tonight.

Go ZAGS

GoZags
03-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I believe we just saw the work of the Coach (or co-Coach) of the Year (regardless of who has the trophy).

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Worst game of the conference season for Bryant. To be fair to him though, the Zags were on fire. All cylinders, Daye, Downs, Pargo, unbelievable.

Ziggy
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
If the Zags were able to vote for POY I doubt it would be "Big John".

GoZags
03-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I've got no problem whatsoever with Bryant as POY. He earned it (my opinion).

I DO have a problem with the Zags winning the league by 4 games, and having only 2 ALL WCC players -- the same number as the 3rd place Pilots (finished 5 games behind GU) and one less than the Gaels (finished 4 games behind GU).

I also have a problem with the COY going to a guy who's team finished 3-4 on the season (including getting swept the last weekend of the season).

But, the WCC coaches have spoken -- to GU's benefit.

snebzag
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
He is (Big John) POY in the WCC.
Only against WCC teams. Great numbers. Except one team. Gonzaga. Never showed up. Or just put in his place in those three games. No Out of Conference schedule to back it up. Old horse been beat to death on this thread.

LMUZAG
03-08-2009, 08:12 PM

I DO have a problem with the Zags winning the league by 4 games, and having only 2 ALL WCC players -- the same number as the 3rd place Pilots (finished 5 games behind GU) and one less than the Gaels (finished 4 games behind GU).

I also have a problem with the COY going to a guy who's team finished 3-4 on the season (including getting swept the last weekend of the season).

Agreed. Bryant is a great player who deserves this honor despite his showing against the Zags.

But:

You should not have only two players all conference when you go undefeated.

And more importantly, despite how deserving Reveno is, Few and the Zags went undefeated in their league. That means they beat the other team at least twice pending the tournament. I understand the argument of doing more with less, but it is Coach of the Year and Few has earned this spot. When you manage not to lose when you have a target on your back all year, you have done something exceptional. Hats off to St. Marys and Portland, but the regular season was owned by Gonzaga, and the awards should reflect that.

former1dog
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM

+100... Absolutely spot on!

Ezag
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
You CANNOT BE POY in WCC and Not Show up in any of the games against Gonzaga 3 times in one season!!!!

NEC26
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
What Ezag said

GoZags
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
John Bryant averaged 14 points and 11 rebounds in the two regular season games against the 14-0 Zags.

How is that not "showing up"??????

He earned his POY votes based on 14 games -- not the two against Gonzaga.

NEC26
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I think the point is when faced with good competition he wasn't that good. He wasn't the best player in this league plain and simple. IMO

GoZags
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I think the point is when faced with good competition he wasn't that good. He wasn't the best player in this league plain and simple. IMO

Okay. Now I understand your point.

You don't believe that 14 points and 11 rebounds is any good.

Right.

NEC26
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Gozags if you were starting a team from scratch with wcc players who would you pick first? I can think of four players I would take before him Bouldin, Mills, Heytvelt, and Diamon Simpson he would be fifth at least. Yes he racked up stats but he is not the the best player in this league.

Edited to add: LOL at whomever neg repped me what exactly did I say that would upset you?

Ezag
03-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Okay. Now I understand your point.

You don't believe that 14 points and 11 rebounds is any good.

Right.

If course it is good, except less impressive if does nothing to help your team win. A POY puts up the numbers, makes your team better. Santa Clara finished no better than .500 in the league.

GoZags
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I clearly understand your point.

I also understand that when one team has a couple of guys who could be considered POY, and another team has one guy (who happens to lead the nation in rebounding, and the league in scoring) that there's a good chance the other guy will get the votes to be POY.

It's fine if you don't think he earned it. I happen to think he did earn it (much more than Sean Dennisson two years ago -- who shared it with Derek).

JLGutrocks
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Show up at ANY one of the 3 games against the champion and prove it....then I will become a POY voter for you. You didn't. beating up idoits is creul, not respectable.

CB4
03-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Any five of our starters looked POY worthy tonight when compared to Bryant or Big Country to all the (or lack of) former Vancity Griz fans out there.

They looked like they were playing Upstate tonight. Great to see everyone having fun and playing some flawless basketball in the process. 3's being dropped from all over the map, great defense. Now we show the Australians how it's done tomorrow and we head into the tournament in great shape.