PDA

View Full Version : Is Gonzaga considered a prestigious job?

hoopster777
03-07-2009, 11:07 PM
In the unlikely event that Few left Gonzaga after the season for Arizona or Oregon, have we reached the point where a vacancy at Gonzaga warrants a mid level to top level coach? I have been thinking about this lately, and if Few decided to move on, have we reached a point where we are a staple in the college basketball world that an up and coming coach would choose Gonzaga over a bottom team from a major conference?

CDC84
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM
If Few were to ever move on, Leon Rice is the guy, regardless of whether the Gonzaga job is considered prestigious or not. Even if this wasn't already contractually set up, I would still go with Rice. I think that much of his coaching ability and his skills as a recruiter. He also has an ideal personality for being a head coach....even more ideal than Few, in some ways, when it comes to dealing with the media and booster types.

FuManShoes
03-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Does there come a point where Rice starts looking for his own gig if Few is as content at GU as he seems?

bartruff1
03-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Gonzaga is a prestigious job as long as Few is here and continous to win 20+ a year.....I can't believe Gonzaga would have any kind of contract or even a understanding about a replacement.....if Few leaves (and this might be the year) they will start searching for the best available....Stockton ??

23dpg
03-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Gonzaga is a prestigious job as long as Few is here and continous to win 20+ a year.....I can't believe Gonzaga would have any kind of contract or even a understanding about a replacement.....if Few leaves (and this might be the year) they will start searching for the best available....Stockton ??

They do. It was Grier, its now Rice.

MedZag
03-08-2009, 08:27 AM

As 23dpg said, they do. Don't know if its in writing, but there's always been a verbal understanding about a line of succession. Monson tapped Few. Few was going to tap Billy Grier, but now Leon Rice is the man.

There's quite a few quotes in the papers in regards to this around the time Grier decided to take the USD job.

If Few were to ever move on, Leon Rice is the guy, regardless of whether the Gonzaga job is considered prestigious or not. Even if this wasn't already contractually set up, I would still go with Rice. I think that much of his coaching ability and his skills as a recruiter. He also has an ideal personality for being a head coach....even more ideal than Few, in some ways, when it comes to dealing with the media and booster types.

Everything I've heard about Leon jives with this assessment. Good to hear.

Hextall7388
03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Has Few ever come out and actually said that he is not leaving? Has he ever said I'm staying and Gonzaga until they get rid of me...or something to that effect?

Frankly, the continued rumours about him leaving for Oregon or Arizona are tiresome. I'm wondering if the rumours have any impact when it comes to recruiting? It seems to me that he could put the yearly rumour mill out of business if he came forward and made it abundantly clear that Gonzaga is where plans to be. Yes he has a long term contract, but we all know how much that really means when it comes to college coaches.

I'm sure the powers that be at GU have already put him on the spot behind behind closed doors and asked for a decision, but if they haven't, they should. I'd hate to see a situation where Few decides to leave in 1-3 years, and by that time quality guys like Grier, Rice or Lloyd have already left GU to pursue their own opportunities. If I was Grier, and Few decides to leave at the end of this year or next....I'd be pis***!

Bogozags
03-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Not happening...don't see it now or even down the road!

First off, Oregon is not looking for another coach and secondly, Oregon is a FOOTBALL school that plays basketball and other sports. Football drives that school and the alumni see it that way as well.

Arizona is a basketball school and don't see few leaving a basketball school where he is "KING" and going to another BBall school, where the word pressure is CAPITALIZED! Does he need more pressure to be happy?

Coach Few makes enough money, his family is happy, he has extremely strong ties in this community and as everyone knows, he loves to fly fish and the NE is a much better place to do that than the SW...

Ask yourselves, "What is the upside for him moving?"

This is of course, my very humble opinion...

Thomas_Sutpen
03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Has Few ever come out and actually said that he is not leaving? Has he ever said I'm staying and Gonzaga until they get rid of me...or something to that effect?

Frankly, the continued rumours about him leaving for Oregon or Arizona are tiresome. I'm wondering if the rumours have any impact when it comes to recruiting? It seems to me that he could put the yearly rumour mill out of business if he came forward and made it abundantly clear that Gonzaga is where plans to be. Yes he has a long term contract, but we all know how much that really means when it comes to college coaches.

The rumors indicate that he is a desired commodity because he is a good coach. The time to worry is when the rumors stop--this means nobody wants him. It seems to me that Few has already "made it abundantly clear" that he wants to stay at GU by refusing previous offers at quality schools, e.g., Indiana. Why should he go beyond that and guarantee that he'll always be at GU? GU surely hasn't guaranteed that he'll never be fired. Besides, even if he did say something like, "I'll never leave unless they fire me," it would have NO effect upon the rumors. How many times have coaches said BS like that and then left for "greener" pastures? Nobody EVER believes a coach who says he won't leave. In fact, the more he says it, the less people believe it. Call it "the lady doth protest too much" syndrome.

IMO, Few handles the job questions in a classy, respectful way. He tries to defer conversations back to his own team and recent/upcoming games.

If, at some point in the future, Few decides that he wants to try another opportunity, I would wish him nothing but success and happiness. I have no doubt that GU will continue to employ excellent assistant coaches who will continue to get offers elsewhere, and, occasionally, leave us. When Few eventually moves on, be it through quitting or retiring, one of those asst. coaches will likely move into the head coaching spot. It worked well for us when Few took over from Monson, and it will work when Rice (or some future asst. coach [Dickau, anyone?]) takes over from Few.

Bottom line: as long as GU continues its winning tradition with Few, other programs will covet Few. This is not unusual. Relax and enjoy it.

Birddog
03-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Has Few ever come out and actually said that he is not leaving?

I don't know that Mark has, but Marcy said as much a year or two ago, and if you're married, you know how much that weighs.

gamagin
03-08-2009, 09:58 AM
So here we are on the cusp of a possible conference season & tourney sweep and dreaming about a deeper run into the NCAA's. This is Christmastime for basketball fans, especially Zags fans because we are part of the dance, again.

And, just like clockwork, just like the proverbial smell on the zookeepers heels on a warm day, it's also the season to discuss Few's job status.

I don't give a damn whether Few stays or not. It's up to him and GU. It's out of our hands. Now and in the future. Win or lose.

I care a great deal that we whip SCU and then whoever makes it far enough to play us one last time this season in the conference tourney. We only need to wait two days to find out.

This is our christmas season. We are positioned to have a really good one. If we wipe the floor with SCU and win the tourney, too, we can continue to dream big.

If we don't, we will have one last drive into the NCAA's anyway, because we earned it by setting the table with an NCAA caliber season. We are up against two teams who also could still make it to the dance. But it will have to be through us. We once again must deal with the desparation of others and we need to turn it up and keep it up.

We have all summer to discuss what Few does or doesn't do.

I know the pundits in training (PIT's) are chomping at the bit to talk about next christmas despite the fact that this is just about christmas eve this year and we haven't even opened our presents yet.

Please remember there will be lots of time for that. Like from April until September, and all next year. And the year after that. At least.

This isn't the time.

We have business to attend to, karma to share and send, and it has nothing to do with next year.

It has everything to do with the next few days and the next few weeks after that.

Go Zags !

MyZags
03-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Firstly, prestige is relative. Would you or I love to be the head coach of Gonzaga? Heck, I wouldn't even give my current job two weeks notice!

If Mark decides to leave, IMO, Leon gets the calls. However; if the powers that be want a fresh perspective, they could find quality applicants. How many years have we owned the WCC? What are the quality of players present & recruits lined up? What is the caliber of staff supporting the head coach? Answers to these are positive and makes the job attractive.

Now reality. Why would Mark leave? Not every coach needs to support U-haul by going across country, searching for the "prestigious" job. The best example is Pat Summitt. She has spent her entire career in lil ol' Knoxville. This wasn't alway a big time program. She build it, and the university took care of her.

Shaking the eight ball...Will Mark stay again next season?...

HillBillyZag
03-08-2009, 12:39 PM
If for some reason Leon Rice did not take the job, Ray G. is also a great coach, recruiter, and motivator. This years Utah squad is basically kids that Ray got.