PDA

View Full Version : Bryant had 27 board tonight. Case closed

FuManShoes
03-07-2009, 09:20 PM
There's been a lot of debate about whether John Bryant deserved to be WCC Player of the Year. Think this sort of performance settles it. Zag players have had great games this year and the team pretty much cruised through the league, but no player has consistently put up the kind of gaudy numbers that Bryant has. He deserved that award and it'll be interesting to see if the Zags can hold him under his averages again. Go Josh!

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2009, 09:32 PM
There's been a lot of debate about whether John Bryant deserved to be WCC Player of the Year. Think this sort of performance settles it. Zag players have had great games this year and the team pretty much cruised through the league, but no player has consistently put up the kind of gaudy numbers that Bryant has. He deserved that award and it'll be interesting to see if the Zags can hold him under his averages again. Go Josh!

The Zags have too much balance and depth for any player to get 27 rebounds. Looks like Bryant is pretty much a one man team.

jim77
03-07-2009, 11:21 PM
We need to turn the game into a track meet...NOT big john's kind of game.

willandi
03-08-2009, 07:21 AM
The officials allowed him much latitude in the use of his body to gain position. He pushed, leaned and bullied his smaller opponents out of the way, much as he was allowed to do against the Zags in their last meeting. He plays the game much as Shaq does, and it is effective if the zebras don't call it, but call two of those as off-the-ball fouls, and he sits for most of the half and a lot of the game.
Will

WccSoph
03-08-2009, 07:50 AM
I think any experienced player in the WCC could have had that many rebound's.Take into consideration his girth,missed shot's,and his opponent (Pomare' had 6 pt.s and 0 rebound's a real "strong" performance for him.)

It was not really that great of feat for the POY considering the way San Diego played yesterday , was it really? He's a good player ,but do you think he could have had those kind of stat's against Blair,Tebeet, or Blake? Just speculation but I think he will get cut if he's fortunate to be invited to an NBA camp. Good player in weak Non-BCS conference,that's it!:lmao:

FuManShoes
03-08-2009, 08:41 AM
But, but, but ... You guys are crazy. In the roughly 7,000 DI games played this year, no one grabbed 27 boards - except for Bryant. And don't tell me San Diego is the smallest or softest team in the nation. Also, I have a hard time believing WCC refs are so in the tank for Bryant that they could somehow conspire to make him the nation's most prolific rebounder without someone besides your astute selves noticing along the way. Is it that hard to give the big guy his due? If he was a Zag you'd be singing his praises as you did for another lumbering big guy with good hands - JP Batista. You didn't complain about him muscling guys out of the paint.

btzag
03-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Will you nailed it, if the refs call a fair game Bryant will struggle. However if they decide that they will let him do everything short of mugging the opponent then SCU will stay in the game. That game down at Santa Clara was the most bizarre game I've seen in a while, almost like the refs had a meeting before the game and decided that charges would not be allowed and just allow a brutal physical game, perfect for SCU. Hopefully on a neutral court we will see some neutral refs.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2009, 08:45 AM
The Zags have too much balance and depth for any player to get 27 rebounds. Looks like Bryant is pretty much a one man team.

I agree with the statement if you are talking about points, but rebounding is a different story IMO. How many times have you seen Daye take a would-be rebound away from Josh? I would argue that it doesn't happen very much. 27 rebounds says a lot about his size, work effort, and time spent in the paint. That's an awesome accomplishment, no matter what team you play on.

77Zag
03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
We need to turn the game into a track meet...NOT big john's kind of game.

Viewing the game live at the Orleans - John Bryant is a force vs. SDU; they looked like little school kids afraid of the big boy on the court.

But, Jim77 - right on. Bryant walked up and down the court on every transition. He walked more in that game than I did on the strip yesterday. Not only that, he was winded and had to come out time and time again.

We need to run them foolish and press - they failed miserably while pressed vs. SDU

We'll be just fine

NotoriousZ
03-08-2009, 09:42 AM
He deserves the award. Take him off their team and they're no better than LMU. Great stats, give it to him. Period. That doesn't mean he's the best player, and we all know it. The Zags own this guy and their team, let's enjoy the game tonight (Gonzaga isn't going to overlook this game like SMC might with theirs tonight). But enough is enough, Bryant won the award. Let's move on.

TacomaZAG
03-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I'll add my 2 cents. The debate between Big John and Matt/Josh as conference POY is about to be rekindled in the PAC-10 IMO, only this time the debate will be between Brockman from UW and Harden from ASU. As in the WCC, the debate is,..... should the POY be the best player on the best team or the player with the best individual stats, regardless of team success?? I'm in the camp that the POY should be the player who is most responsible for his team's success (best player on best team). In the WCC debate, Big John had great individual stats on a very mediocre team, versus Matt/Josh having very good stats on the best team. For POY (IMO), the question should be, how would the team have done without him??? In the WCC debate, without Big John, Santa Clara would still have been mediocre, maybe a couple more losses on an already sub-.500 team, who cares???? Without Matt, the Zags wouldn't have been as good, but Steven could have more than adequately picked up the slack. With Josh, OTOH, we would not have won the WCC, especially after Rob went down.

Therefore, WCC POY = Josh

In the PAC-10, Brockman deserves the POY award, as the Fuskies (PAC-10 regular season champs) would be nowhere without him, but Harden will win the award since his individual stats, on a mediocre PAC-10 team, are more impressive to the voters.

Just my 2 cents.........All the players in the voting mix had great years and the debate will never be settled for the people who's guys don't win (including me), but I bet you Big John would trade the hardware for a berth in the Dance.

Go ZAGS

bballbeachbum
03-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Tip of the cap to John Bryant, for last night and his season.

Thanks for the eyeball report 77. Agree with both 77s, evidently a good year :D

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Why would I get anonymous neg rep for this post? Good grief.

MDABE80
03-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Josh is our guy who has determined how well we've done. Josh will determine how far we go. Josh continues on this tear, we'll be fine. He's just so strong right now.
No doubt, it's a "team" game. Matt should highloy recognised for his wonderful season. Matt honestly has the goods but not the speed. He's a big guard who can rebound, shoot and works hard on defense. He's perfect for the WCC. Matt would do well in most BCS leagues. GU got lucky with him. He's beginning to find the numbers he had in HS without being a ballhog. Pre-season AA next year.easily.

Let's enjoy the rest of the season. Bryant is a big guy who's not in shape. He had the numbers. My brain has trouble with a big out of shape guy who is given POY. Just me though.

Let's win this thing and move on. I'm in China next week to give some talks. I hope some smart guy on this board can figure out how I can watch games from there. Go Zags!

zag buddy
03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
It was a great game for John. You can't take anything away from his effort and results. Great game John.
"The hallmark of a second class citizen is the resentment of another man's success" Ralph waldo Emerson.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Why would I get anonymous neg rep for this post? Good grief.

I hate that you can get a neg rep anonymously. Wish they would change the site to attach the name to the person doing it.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-08-2009, 02:31 PM
I think any experienced player in the WCC could have had that many rebound's.Take into consideration his girth,missed shot's,and his opponent (Pomare' had 6 pt.s and 0 rebound's a real "strong" performance for him.)

It was not really that great of feat for the POY considering the way San Diego played yesterday , was it really? He's a good player ,but do you think he could have had those kind of stat's against Blair,Tebeet, or Blake? Just speculation but I think he will get cut if he's fortunate to be invited to an NBA camp. Good player in weak Non-BCS conference,that's it!:lmao:

I think I respectfully disagree with this entire post. If "any" experienced player in the conference could get 27 rebounds, then why don't they? Why is 27 the season high for the entire nation?
What is with the comparison to Pomare? Bryant only had an "OK" game because his opponent had a weak game? Pomare is all-conference back to back by the way, and he handled "Tebeet" pretty well in the tourney last year.
Yes the WCC is non-BCS, but it is not "weak Non-BCS. If fact, this is actually one of the stronger non-BCS conferences around. KenPom ranks the WCC 7th out of the 25 non-BCS conferences. A performance like Bryant's (season or last game) in this conference is notable and I think it deserves national attention.
Lastly (this has nothing to do with the post I am quoting), I find the argument that Heytvelt deserves POY because he "owned" Bryant in conference is absolute garbage. In the first game, Bryant was 5-12 from the field, with 12 points and 11 rebounds, a pretty good game (though below his averages). Josh was 4-9 from the field with 11 points and 6 rebounds. Nobody owned anybody in that game. I will admit that Josh had a great performance in the rematch. A better way to compare the players is to look at their consistency over the conference season. Bryant had one off game against SMC (8 pts 9 reb), with a double double in EVERY other WCC game. JH had two off games against SMC and USF. His stats are very good considering that scoring and rebounding are balanced for the Zags, but not as good as the ridiculous numbers Bryant put up.
I always try to be honest, and temper my zeal for Gonzaga basketball. I wanted a Zag to win POY. JH and MB made great individual efforts. They both had a chance to make a statement in the last game of the season when the debate over POY was very unresolved. Neither Zag could come up with a final game to match Bryant's 22 and 21. The debate is over in my mind, the POY award does not automatically go to the best team in the league, that is what the conference title is for. Bryant had a historic season in this league, neither JH or MB did. Bring of the neg reps.

ZagsGoZags
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I agree with the above posters

I think all negative rep hits should show the name of the author, or else
it is not allowed

It is like somebody at work starting a rumor about you

Can the mod's change the program without re-writing it?

just my humble opinion

freezer12
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I think I respectfully disagree with this entire post. If "any" experienced player in the conference could get 27 rebounds, then why don't they? Why is 27 the season high for the entire nation?
What is with the comparison to Pomare? Bryant only had an "OK" game because his opponent had a weak game? Pomare is all-conference back to back by the way, and he handled "Tebeet" pretty well in the tourney last year.
Yes the WCC is non-BCS, but it is not "weak Non-BCS. If fact, this is actually one of the stronger non-BCS conferences around. KenPom ranks the WCC 7th out of the 25 non-BCS conferences. A performance like Bryant's (season or last game) in this conference is notable and I think it deserves national attention.
Lastly (this has nothing to do with the post I am quoting), I find the argument that Heytvelt deserves POY because he "owned" Bryant in conference is absolute garbage. In the first game, Bryant was 5-12 from the field, with 12 points and 11 rebounds, a pretty good game (though below his averages). Josh was 4-9 from the field with 11 points and 6 rebounds. Nobody owned anybody in that game. I will admit that Josh had a great performance in the rematch. A better way to compare the players is to look at their consistency over the conference season. Bryant had one off game against SMC (8 pts 9 reb), with a double double in EVERY other WCC game. JH had two off games against SMC and USF. His stats are very good considering that scoring and rebounding are balanced for the Zags, but not as good as the ridiculous numbers Bryant put up.
I always try to be honest, and temper my zeal for Gonzaga basketball. I wanted a Zag to win POY. JH and MB made great individual efforts. They both had a chance to make a statement in the last game of the season when the debate over POY was very unresolved. Neither Zag could come up with a final game to match Bryant's 22 and 21. The debate is over in my mind, the POY award does not automatically go to the best team in the league, that is what the conference title is for. Bryant had a historic season in this league, neither JH or MB did. Bring of the neg reps.

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?p=390320#post390320

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-08-2009, 05:33 PM
http://guboards.com/showthread.php?p=390320#post390320

I had not read this thread. I agree with you, and you do a better job of laying out your argument.

LynetteG
03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
As we are seeing in tonight's semi, when Bryant plays a team as big as him he struggles mightily. 3 points at the half and POY? Wow...

Rangerzag
03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
As we are seeing in tonight's semi, when Bryant plays a team as big as him he struggles mightily. 3 points at the half and POY? Wow...

I can not believe an independent observer of tonight's game would have picked John Bryant out as the conference player of the year. I easily recognize he's had a fine year, a fine career and is a fine respectable athlete. I just don't think he would be recognizable as the POY watching tonight, or either of the other two Bronco match-ups with the Zags. If he is the stand out player, he should stand out when playing the best.