PDA

View Full Version : I am torn between a 5 seed or a 6 seed?

MississppiZag
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
The final four teams in the tourney are usually BCS schools. These last four in are usually given the 12 seeds and in some cases the 13 seeds. The mid-majors that just get in, or win their conference tournaments are usually granted 11 seeds. A 6 seed goes through an 11 seed, followed by a 3, then a 2. A 5 seed goes through a 12 seed, followed by a 4, then a 1. Would it be better to avoid the 1 seed?

If we are given a mid-major as a 6 seed and a BCS school as the 5 seed, what do you prefer? The 5 seed plays in Boise, and the 6 seed plays in Portland. This is all hypothetical, of course.

All scenarios are given with no upsets, which is a big if.

BobZag
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
The top 6 seed is better than the lowest 5 seed, plus a 6 seed plays the 2 seed in the Sweet 16, the 5 seed plays the 1 seed in the Sweet 16. The lowest 5 seed could land GU far away.

Just A Zag
03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
so no chance at a 4 seed?

ZagAddict
03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Zag WCC Tournament Championship = Boise

Zag loss in the WCC Tournament = travel

I keep feeling that we will see the Zags as a #5 seed and UCLA will have the #4 seed in the same bracket.

CDC84
03-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't feel there is going to be much of a difference between the 3's and 4's in this tournament. What the Zags don't want is a 7, which forces them to play a 2 in the second round. They also don't want to travel....they want to play those first two in Boise or Portland.

My dream seeding and region is a 6 in the Glendale AZ region. My reasoning:

1) If they play a 3 or 4 seed in the second round....who cares? Both will be of equal quality.

2) The weakest one seed will be assigned the Glendale region. There's a decent chance it'll be Oklahoma or Michigan State. Both teams are capable of getting upset before the elite 8.

3) While the Glendale region is going to be assigned the toughest 2 seed, and the Zags would have to face that 2 in the sweet 16, that 2 will be playing far away from home. The Zags could get the home crowd behind them.

MississppiZag
03-06-2009, 02:40 PM
A 4 seed seems like a bit of a stretch to me. I guess if some teams lost it could happen, along with GU winning the conference tourney. Doesn't mean I wouldn't take it.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I think you are all overthinking this. The higher seed is the better seed. After that, as we all know, anything can happen.

zagirl2k
03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I think you are all overthinking this.

It's March, it's a message board. . .over thinking and over analyzing it what we do, especially when there are long stretches between games.

zagfan07
03-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I'd rather see a 6 seed than a 5 seed. That way you avoid the 1 seed until the elite 8. The way I see it, there's 5 teams I don't want to see:

Pitt
UConn
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Louisville

I don't see any of those teams getting lower than a 2 seed, so I would much rather aovid playing one of them before the elite 8. After those 6 teams, it's up for grabs. I'm not saying the Zags can't beat one of those teams on a given night, I just think there's a big gap between the top 5 teams or so and the rest of the field. With a 6 seed, we avoid playing one of those teams before the elite 8, and if we face one of them at that point, anything can happen.

krozman
03-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I dunno about any of you, but I just want to win a game this time around. After that i'll be much more apt to construct a scenario to the national championship game.

Reborn
03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't think it really matters betwee a 6 and a 5 seed this year. And that's because there's really not much difference between a 4 and a 3 seed. And really not much difference between a 1 and a 2. Not this year. The Zags are in good shape. I hope we don't get a 7 seed.

I think the key for Gonzaga right now is to continue to focus on winning the NEXT game. Just keep winning is the theme song right now. Think about the next game, and take care of business. This is all about focus now.

I also really hope we get someplace out West, and if we keep winning I believe we will. To me, this is the biggest key of them all this year. I also think the match-ups are really important. If we can get a game in round two against a Pac 10 team, I feel it's a great place to be.