PDA

View Full Version : Zag wins v RPI Top 50

GoZags
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
That's one of the items that is examined by the committee. Currently, Gonzaga's RPI is 37. It's interesting to see the number of teams ahead of GU (RPI wise) that have less than Gonzaga's 5 wins against Top 50 RPI opponents. As of today, GU is 2-3 vs Top 25 and 3-0 vs 26 thru 50.

These are the schools with less than GU's total number of wins v Top 50.

North Carolina
Memphis
Washington
Florida State
Clemson
BYU
Butler
West Virginia
Dayton
UCLA
Oklahoma State
Utah State
Siena
Texas A and M
LSU

These schools are tied with GU for wins v Top 50

Missouri
Wake Forest
Utah
Tennessee
Marquette
California
Minnesota
---------------
GU has certainly done okay this season

BobZag
03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
1 point and a hail mary trey from two more Top-25s, too. Grrrrrrrr.

229SintoZag
03-06-2009, 02:46 PM
GU has certainly done okay this season

Herer here GoZags. I second this heartily.

I have absolutely no qualms with what this team has done this year, other than the Memphis game. I put that into the category of the once-every-couple of years buzzsaw type game, akin to Virginia in 2007 and at Illinois in 2005.

The UConn and Utah losses were nip-and-tuck, and obviously both games could have gone either way. Utah has turned out to be a very respectable loss. UConn is looking at a #1 seed.

PSU was a letdown, but understandable. It was as much a scheduling loss as a players' loss, and I don't blame the players for the schedule. Dec. 23? Just days after playing the BIS against UConn and losing in OT? With no students still on campus to support the team? I didn't like the loss, but I am OK with it.

Other than that, this team has competed well and played remarkably consistently through the year. Going undefeated in WCC play is a huge accomplishment.

Kudos to this year's team. And the best is still yet to come--I just have a feeling.

Spike94
03-06-2009, 03:56 PM
How close is SMC to being out of the top 50? I will be royally ticked if there despirate, please pick me, please pick me game against a low 200 RPI team knocks them out and thus takes 2 possibly 3 top 50 wins away from us. And, thus lowers our seed.

GoZags
03-06-2009, 03:58 PM
How close is SMC to being out of the top 50? I will be royally ticked if there despirate, please pick me, please pick me game against a low 200 RPI team knocks them out and thus takes 2 possibly 3 top 50 wins away from us. And, thus lowers our seed.

SMC is #48. The two games Bob referred to were UConn and Utah.

Spike94
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I know about those two games. What I am saying is that right now we have 2 wins against a top 50 RPI team that might not be against a Top 50 team because they scheduled a crapy team to show off one player. And on top of that if they win the WCC (which I hope they don't) they are still playing the game. Playing this game will surely lower their RPI win or lose and thus affect us. It sucks. Now I understand that SMC needs to worry about SMC, but I still think it sucks. Quite honostly I now hope they lose in the Semis and then it won't matter. Of course they can still play the game for seeding into the NIT.

lothar98zag
03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Some of those teams listed surprised me. I would have figured they had more top 50 wins.

Anyone know what team(s) have the most top 50 wins?

MississppiZag
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Michigan State is leading the nation. I believe they have either 9 or 10, with another one coming up against Purdue.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-07-2009, 09:59 AM
I know about those two games. What I am saying is that right now we have 2 wins against a top 50 RPI team that might not be against a Top 50 team because they scheduled a crapy team to show off one player. And on top of that if they win the WCC (which I hope they don't) they are still playing the game. Playing this game will surely lower their RPI win or lose and thus affect us. It sucks. Now I understand that SMC needs to worry about SMC, but I still think it sucks. Quite honostly I now hope they lose in the Semis and then it won't matter. Of course they can still play the game for seeding into the NIT.

If SMC wins out (EWU, Portland) and beats GU in the WCC final, then they will probably stay in the top 50. Their combined opponents record in the last three games would be 56-36, plus 3 more wins to improve their winning percentage. This would improve their RPI about 0.01 and move them up 4-7 spots in the rankings (this is a pretty well calculated guess). This is the only scenario where GU, without the auto bid really needs those extra 2 top 50 wins (with the final loss being somewhat forgivable).
Even if SMC beats EWU and loses to GU in the final, I would predict their RPI goes up slightly (provided they play Portland in the semis). If this happens they have a good chance of holding their spot or moving up a couple. There are a few teams (George Mason, Western Kentucky, Niagra) just behind SMC that probably have a worse chance of improving their RPI than the Gaels, so they are not in too much danger of being passed up.
Only if SMC loses to EWU or in the semis does this really have a chance of changing the Zags seeding.

MDABE80
03-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Those 2 games ( UConn and Utah) were just heartbreakers for us. Add in AZ loss by 6. Dammit.........this should be a 2 loss team.......a top 5 team.

I hope the kids understand this as they prepare for the rest of the season. Just a good, solid team......but other teams are developed now too.so it'll be a slog to win this whole thing. Can the Zags win the whole thing? GoZags details it above....and the answer is yes! SOme luck and it's the E 8 or FF. Missing Sacre but amazingly enough, the Zags have had a spectacular season because of the D and the versatility.
If the team gets tough and dedicated, the talent is still here. We want that slipper to finally fit! Go Zags!!