PDA

View Full Version : Harris impressing coaches

N texas 509er
03-06-2009, 01:38 PM
By Brent Stecker
World sports writer
Posted March 06, 2009

YAKIMA In two games at the Class 1A state tournament, Chelan's 6-foot-5 junior Joe Harris has scored a combined 68 points. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that he's turning the heads of opposing coaches.

"That guy (Harris) is unbelievable," said King's coach Bill Liley, whose team had to withstand Harris' 38 points in defeating Chelan 69-66 in overtime on Thursday night. "He's the best player we've played against. He's a Pac-10 basketball player."

That's high praise coming from a coach of a team based out of Seattle, especially one that has coached against teams like 3A power Rainier Beach.

"He just rose to the occasion. It was an amazing effort," Liley said. "I'm a University of Washington graduate, and I'm going to talk to my coach about him."

He may need to get in line. Harris also has attracted the interest of fellow Pac-10 schools UCLA, Washington State and Oregon State, as well as national power Gonzaga.

Harris scored 20 of Chelan's last 21 points of the game against the Knights, and it was just that much more remarkable that he did so considering how King's was focusing on him.

"I think we guarded him about as well as anyone else has," Liley said. "He's just one of those players that it seems like, the bigger the game, the better they play."

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Hopefully the Zags are in the lead for his services aftering planting their seed early on in the recruiting process.

BobZag
03-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks, 509'er.

ZagAddict
03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
PAC-10 schools... :mecry: I had a feeling the sharks would begin to circle...

Ziggy
03-06-2009, 08:29 PM
For a long time I have thought that Harris was the next incarnation of Pendo, given his geographic location. But after listening to the three games at the 1A tourney I'm more inclined to view him as the next incarnation of Adam. Fearless and on the mark. His only weak spot seems to be and inclination for fouls. But we've had others with this problem and cured them. Did I mention he knows how to play defense? Time for GU to ante up.

N texas 509er
03-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Wasn't able to go to the 1A tourney, (At Texas Regionals - Duncanville looks tough and should win State AAAAA next week) so checked out some fan websites - looks like Joey impressed (loved the "quarterback" or Team references):

Joe Freaking Harris- fan from Naches
I know this may sound a little heavy but this kid has Pac-10 written all over him.

6'6 guard who can dribble, shoot, pass, block, steal, fill up the water jug and fold the towels!!

Talk about ice water in your veins?! He put that Chelan team on his back in the 4th quarter with 4 fouls. Down by 5 he converts a 4 point play and then his the game tying 3 (from wayyy downtown) to tie it up with :12 seconds left. My goodness.

Most of all, he is a leader. Time and time again I have seen him giving his teamates nothing but positive encouragment and being a total "quarterback" on the floor. Even after fouling out he was waving his towel and cheering on his boys in OT.

Congrats Chelan, you have an awesome player and a great kid. Hes only a junior too!!!!!

Fan from Prosser-
Rock, you are totally right, this kid is the real deal, he was like 13 of 17 from the field, think if he was not a team player and a true gunner, they might actually have won, by a lot. Not taking anything away from Kings their kid #13 hit a bunch of three's to keep them up. But the Harris kid is unreal, 6-6 might be a bit of a stretch, but who cares, he is a guard and he will be great at the next level, very unselfish and very much a team guy, gotta like him, Pac 10 caliber for sure!!!

Fan from Port Townsend-
Joey created very well for his teammates tonight and shouldered the load almost completely down the stretch for them. 27 in the 2nd half and ot and 38 for the game but you never felt as if he was hogging the ball at all. If anything he should have shot more in the first half in my opinion.

He showed an ability to fill it up from 3-point land, find the open man for easy shots and think at least a few moves ahead in doing so, and handled the ball very well.

He also avoided fouling out for the 4th quarter and about 80% of overtime. No small feat. Mar was racing toward him multiple times but he had the patience to stay away from a quick hack.

He needs 10-20 lbs or so but Harris has looked better to me so far than Patrick Simon of Ephrata did at last year's 2A tourney.

Ive seen enough Pac-10 games in person to know a player of that caliber and Harris fits the bill.

It sucks, but the North Olympic Peninsula ref (the only one in the tourney from our area) called the weak 4th foul on Joe in the 3rd quarter.

He's been to state before but has never worked a final. I wonder why.

BobZag
03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Impressive. Sorry to see Chelan out of it. Joey was impressive, though.

Ezag
03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
BUT of that list of schools, we were the only ones call "National Power" so I think we have the inside track:D

N texas 509er
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
BUT of that list of schools, we were the only ones call "National Power" so I think we have the inside track:D

Hope your right! - Schools in Texas have started asking questions about Harris....This recent tournament has gotten some notice. It's believed that FOH will play in the Houston Kingwood Classic at the end of April, so his name is on a few watch lists.

Go Zags...

Gil Again
03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Saw all of his games at state, and the foul call (against king's)for his 4th was'nt even on Joe, They held his jersey all night and he drug those kings players hanging all over to the tune of 38 poor officiating!!
For state he had 32,38 and 24 point's in his 3 games.. He wants to contest every possesion. Better then morrison at this point for sure. He is the most dominant player I have seen in sometime, 4A-1A.

ZagNative
03-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I hope there's a chance he'll decide to hang up his football cleats next fall and concentrate on basketball, hopefully after giving the Zags his verbal.