PDA

View Full Version : WCC Tournament Predictions?

sanfranzagsguy20
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Thought it might be interesting to see how everybody thought this weekend's action shake out. I am basing my predictions on what I have seen during the regular season having watched a lot of these teams play each other; not just the Zags games. Anyway, here's what I think, with my predicted winners in bold:

Friday (Tonight): LMU vs. San Diego San Diego
Pepperdine vs. San Francisco San Francisco

Saturday: San Diego vs. Santa Clara San Diego
San Francisco vs. Portland Portland

Sunday: San Diego vs. Gonzaga Gonzaga
Portland vs. Saint Mary's Portland

Monday: Portland vs. Gonzaga Gonzaga

What say you?

former1dog
03-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Your predictions look solid.

My only prediction, Gonzaga with comfortable wins in both the semi's and finals. In the 8-10 pt margin range.

MotoZag
03-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Portland vs SMC could go either way IMO. I'm rooting for SMC in that one, simply for our RPI sake. That would put SMC in the top 50 RPI for sure and further cement a bid for a 5-seed at least. It would be huge for us to win vs SMC when they have Mills back, for confidence sake and to show the entire country that his 19 or so in the first half was a fluke.

Nevtelen
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I think all are solid pics, but I disagree with a couple - I don't think USD will knock off SCU. I also Portland is capable of beating SMC who will be fighting like mad dogs for a bid. Portland has also been slumping of late and hasn't been that good outside their home gym all season. I also think Pepp has a chance to beat the short-handed USF (they just need to contain Lowhord and let Bell get to work).

lothar98zag
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
It probably won't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the better seeded team won every game.

UberZagFan
03-06-2009, 01:03 PM
With Mills back, Uber doubts UP will beat SMC

gamagin
03-06-2009, 01:11 PM
and smc.

I hope Patty is in the final game and believe we will beat them handily in preparation for the dance.

Go Zags !

sanfranzagsguy20
03-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I think all are solid pics, but I disagree with a couple - I don't think USD will knock off SCU. I also Portland is capable of beating SMC who will be fighting like mad dogs for a bid. Portland has also been slumping of late and hasn't been that good outside their home gym all season. I also think Pepp has a chance to beat the short-handed USF (they just need to contain Lowhord and let Bell get to work).

I think the potential USD-SCU game could go either way. The reason I picked USD to win is because they beat SCU at home and then lost in OT to them in San Diego. That should be a good game and I agree SCU could just as easily win that game.

I also see your points on Portland's recent performance. My reasoning for picking them to upset SMC is based on watching both of their regular season games. SMC got destroyed in Portland although there could have been a hangover effect as I believe that game was the same weekend as their game at GU. In Moraga, that game was also close with about ten or so minutes left before SMC pulled away. Of course, that was without Mills. This potential game is the one I went back and forth on but on a neutral court I think Portland has a shot to pull the upset. One of two things can happen: Mills can come back and pick up where he left off or he could play and not be his usual self. In an important, potentially make-or-break game for them, it might not be the best place for him to "get back in the swing of things" if you know what I mean. We shall see.

Thanks for the replies so far!

sanfranzagsguy20
03-06-2009, 01:25 PM
It probably won't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the better seeded team won every game.

haha I feel the same way. But what's the fun in that?? :D

Actually for us Zag fans, I can kind of see the fun in that haha ;)