BobZag
03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Boise, near beautiful downtown Mountain Home--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Ask Joe a question today at noon PST--

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25335

lothar98zag
03-06-2009, 09:22 AM
A 6 seed in the NW. Just what Lothar wants.

malmer7
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
the empty week before the wcc tourney and the week between wcc tourney and ncaa tourney are the most frustrating of the year... i'm really starting to go stir crazy here... how many times can a guy keep checking bracketology, and listen to news about this team and that when nothing is really going on... i simply cannot wait any longer...

Sarenyon
03-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I can see us making it to Memphis for the Second weekend with that Bracket.

And, don't we have a history of beeting Louisville in Memphis?

MississppiZag
03-06-2009, 09:27 AM
I want that bracket right now. In the NW, against a mid-major in the first round(yes, i am aware of Davidson from last year, but there is no Curry), Missouri in the 2nd round-not a good perimeter shooting team at all, plus they are not very consistent on offense, and a 2 seed in the Sweet 16 opposed to a 1 seed.

I know Louisville is tough, but that would be the easiest path to the Sweet 16.

Oh yeah, I live in Memphis and will sell my soul for two tickets. Well maybe not.

EngineerZag
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I wonder if we would bump up a seed by winning the WCC tourney over a healthy Patty Mills and SMC.

I agree with malmer, I hate the lull between WCC tourney and NCAA tourney - it's so long and it makes me worry that the guys will get a bit rusty coming out in the first round game - they always seem a bit out of sorts at the beginning of the game.

GUZagDenver
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
If that were the bracket today, I would be totally satisfied. I think I might also get creative and take Oklahoma to beat UNC in the 2nd round.

malmer7
03-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I want that bracket right now. In the NW, against a mid-major in the first round(yes, i am aware of Davidson from last year, but there is no Curry), Missouri in the 2nd round-not a good perimeter shooting team at all, plus they are not very consistent on offense, and a 2 seed in the Sweet 16 opposed to a 1 seed.

I know Louisville is tough, but that would be the easiest path to the Sweet 16.

Oh yeah, I live in Memphis and will sell my soul for two tickets. Well maybe not.
couldn't agree more - i'd take this bracket in a heartbeat

MDABE80
03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
We'd be fine if the defense perks up ( further) and if the offense holds up. Missouri is a great team. ....all kinds of super athletes. Louisville would be the toughest for us...and if we win all of this ....we'd still have a direct non pleasant visit with UNC. No mistake about it, this is a tough tough bracket.

CDC84
03-06-2009, 10:11 AM
If Utah keeps winning, it's hard to imagine them getting an 8. They are 12 in the RPI right now.

bullzag23
03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I think the best part here(if you have insider you can see it), is that Lunardi has us as the top 6 seed based on the "S" curve. If teams above us continue to lose games they should be winning, and we beat SMC in the WCC tourney, this can only help us. However, if we don't make the finals(god forbid) or we do and someone other than SMC does as well, I think we're more likely to stay put. The only downside I see about a 5 seed is that you're looking at a potential meeting with a 1 in the sweet 16.

If you'll notice on this newest bracket that Arizona and Kentucky are both listed in the "First Four Out" category. These two teams currently own the #1 and #3 spots, respectively, in the active consecutive NCAA tournament appearances streak(Kansas at #2). Wouldn't mind seeing GU move up a couple spots here.

DoMieD
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Please give us this draw

brian_sun
03-06-2009, 12:36 PM
This is NOT going to be the final seeding for Gonzaga. Win the WCC tourney = 5 seed, lose the WCC tourney to St. Mary = 7 seed. I just don't see a 6 seed for GU.

MotoZag
03-06-2009, 01:11 PM
This opinion is based solely on the order of Lunardi's current bracket.

I'm expecting a few upsets, specifically for UNC, because of their sporadically bad play this year. They are notorious for playing down to teams they should demolish. Ok st. doesn't have the interior to keep up with them, so I'm lookin for a 3rd Rd upset vs UCLA for them. If we make it to the Elite 8 over presumably Arizona St. or Louisville, that would be a great grudge match against UCLA for the final 4 [ March 23, 2006 :*( ].

marczagfan
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
This draw looks great, I would take it in a heartbeat! Our seeding is getting better and better with all the BCS teams losing. The kansas and lsu loss this week helped our seeding and rankings (should we win the wcc), there is a possiblity we could be ranked top 10 come monday, its tough to justify giving a top 10 team a 6 seed. I know in the past our ranking meant nothing when it came to seeding, i believe we were ranked 6th in 2002 and received a 6 seed against Wyoming in the pit (bad memories of that tourney). I think with a loss in the conf tourney we look to be a 6 or 7, if we win out a 4 or 5 and if all the stars align possibly a 3. There is a 3 seed for the taking at this point if the huskies and/or one of the top 3 big 12 teams lose down the stretch.

bullzag23
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
This draw looks great, I would take it in a heartbeat! Our seeding is getting better and better with all the BCS teams losing. The kansas and lsu loss this week helped our seeding and rankings (should we win the wcc), there is a possiblity we could be ranked top 10 come monday, its tough to justify giving a top 10 team a 6 seed. I know in the past our ranking meant nothing when it came to seeding, i believe we were ranked 6th in 2002 and received a 6 seed against Wyoming in the pit (bad memories of that tourney). I think with a loss in the conf tourney we look to be a 6 or 7, if we win out a 4 or 5 and if all the stars align possibly a 3. There is a 3 seed for the taking at this point if the huskies and/or one of the top 3 big 12 teams lose down the stretch.

I really don't see GU getting a 3 seed at this point. Most analysts have said that our 'ceiling' is a 4-5 seed now. While that doesn't mean much, our RPI(per ESPN insider) is 37 and pretty much holding steady give or take a few points. Thinking about a 4 right now is pretty optimistic, IMHO, considering we really need SMC to stay in the top 50 of the RPI, and we need to beat them a 3rd time to get that extra Top 50 win. Even if we move into the top 10 in the polls, the committee completely ignores rankings, this will not make a difference come selection sunday.

BobZag
03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
EAST COAST BIAS: How do you not have St. Mary's in the tourny? Patty Mills is back no and they were 16-1 with him in the lineup and pounding Gonzaga on the road when he got hurt. Above .500 with him out of the lineup. They are basically a top 20 team but you have them out. With all the big conference teams playing like crap, hard to explain Joe.

Joe Lunardi: From a procedural standpoint, Mills is not yet back (because he hasn't played in a game). The committee will wait to see him and evaluate accordingly, and so do I.

----------------------------

Kevin, Tempe: I'm really surprised to see the Zags at a 6 seed. They've performed decently all year and have played without a backup 7 foot bruiser most of the year. Don't you think you're being a little too harsh? At least give them a 4 seed as #14 overall! Right ...? And East Coast Bias: Saint Mary's "pounding" Gonzaga? Only up 4 [it was 6] my man, with Mills having the game of his LIFE.

Joe Lunardi: I could see the Zags moving up between now and next week. The 4-5 range is their upside, however.

zagking
03-06-2009, 02:56 PM
couldn't be happier with this draw. I hope it pans out.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow. I don't know that I agree with everyone here. I mean, yes, that bracket gives us a great avenue to the Sweet 16. But after that...Louisville AND UNC? No thanks. I'd like to see Oklahoma and Michigan State or Duke as the top seeds in our bracket.

4AmericasTeam
03-06-2009, 05:49 PM
In response to one of the posts above, who has St. Mary's beaten? I say leave them out

Just A Zag
03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I hate hearing how st.mary's was pounding us in that first half. they were up 4 when mills went out, 6 at half. Puuulease