PDA

View Full Version : Tubby Smith to Minnesota- Kentucky looking for a coach

laszagas
03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2808406

was compared to the Alabama football coaching vacancy by Dan Patrick. wonder who will take the reins in Kentucky? would coach Few consider the job if they came knocking? hmmmmmmmm.....................

bayzag09
03-22-2007, 11:44 AM
this kind of surprises me....gl to tubby in sota

drnoe
03-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Good move for Tubby if he goes.

kdoggy
03-22-2007, 11:52 AM
so, I have followed them a bit over the years. A friend of my dads always has given me "the Cat's Paw" Its a year roudn Monthly, that is pretty much year-round Kentucky Basketball news. I'll just say those fans are nuckin' futs when it comes to their Cats and their expectations are off the charts ridiculous. Unfortuantely, Tubby was a goner, I am glad he was able to make a more graceful exit than was expected. I really feel sorry for his replacement. It will be tough to surpass the achievements of the guy that just got canned.

Nevtelen
03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Kinda like the Davis to UAB move last year - good for Tubby in that he doesn't have to deal with the stress and can just coach, which he seems to be pretty good at - and good for UK in that now they can have a different coach to hate for not taking them to the Final Four for a few years.

NJZag
03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Tubby must be one step ahead of the posse to make this move, even if he did have 4 more years left on his contract. The danger of being at the mercy of a high-expectations base of fans.

Makes me think that Kentucky might have somebody already lined up, too, if there was a "nudge" being given. Signs of nudge about 4 days ago:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/arvia/303192,191ARD1.article

thickman1
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Tubby's move could create a domino effect with coaches. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

gonzagulous
03-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Holy crap! This is a dream come true for the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Up to this point the only coach that made any news in terms of possible replacements for Monson was Flip Saunders.... who said multiple times he wasn't interested. Great news for the Gophers.

mdZag23
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Rick Pitino!

This is going to happen, I'd bet Money on it! I know some UK boosters, they want him, he can handle the pressure there, and he can recruit, which Tubby could not do.

OregonZag5
03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I would like they are going to have a problem getting a high profile coach as why would they risk going there and then getting fired- It is like the Alabama football- there is no way to make the fans happy all of the time- Good for him to leave when he did- This is one job Few would never look at.

CDC84
03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
A Louisville TV station is speculating that Tom Crean is the guy. The UK Rivals site also mentions that Katz is reporting that Crean is at the top of UK's list.

Yes, there are some people saying that Pitino could be the man....

jbslicer
03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I bet they signed the deal at Mayslack's Polka Lounge.

Akzag
03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
I hope Crean stays put.

The move that would surprise me the least would be to snag Donovan. The Gators are going to lose Horford and Noah. They want a Pitino-esque clone. And I just hope the other coaches are smart enough to stay put (Brey, Crean, Few ... and why is Wright even being considered?)

IrishBulldog
03-22-2007, 01:43 PM
A Louisville TV station is speculating that Tom Crean is the guy. The UK Rivals site also mentions that Katz is reporting that Crean is at the top of UK's list.

Yes, there are some people saying that Pitino could be the man....

Somehow, that just seems like it would fit Rick perfectly.

ZagMania
03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Now I know all the reasons why Few should stay at Gonzaga, and how many other great coaching gigs he has passed up, but is there any cause for concern about Few taking the UK job? His name is already getting thrown out there like it always, and I'd like to think there is no way he would leave.. but come on.. this is Kentucky.

I guess I'm just looking for some comfort that Few is staying put.. reading the UK message boards they think they can just take whoever they want. I personally don't know why someone like Few would leave for some place with such terrible job security when he has a gig like GU.

TrueLiz
03-22-2007, 03:12 PM
There aren't as many fishing opportunities in Kentucky, right?

I certainly hope Few stays, but it would be quite an honor to be on that list. As for Tubby Smith, as a lifelong hometown Gopher fan, I am extremely excited to see him coming to the Twin Cities. He's a much higher caliber coach than I expected Minnesota to be able to bring to town. Maybe this means that on some Saturdays, more than one of my two favorite teams will win. I was always happy that the Zags played later in the day, so I could end it on a happy note after painful losses by the Gophers.

HillBillyZag
03-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Who would have thunk it? Having lived in Kentucky for eight years and with my daughter a Kentucky Alum, I can say with some little familiarity that Tubby did the right thing. A good man and a great X's & O's Coach,Tubby was not a great recruiter. Also ,since Patino left UK for the Celtics and then signed on with the hated Louisville Cardinals when he returned to the College game, the Wildcat fans have been embittered. The Kentucky fans think that the Cats should win the SEC and get to the final four every season. plus the ghost of Adolph Rupp, with all of its baggage, good & bad, hangs over the shoulder of any head man in Lexington. To be successful, whomever takes the UK job must be given Carte Blanche to establish his own style, with his own recruits and I cannot think of too many Coaches that the good folk of the Commonwealth would be willing to grant that much leeway. IMHO Ralph Willard, (Holy Cross) a former Ky. ass't and Western Kentucky Coach ,or John Pelphrey or Travis Ford, both former UK favorites who, while young, have demonstrated excellent Coaching & recruiting skills, would all be good fits and given a fair chance could keep the Wildcat program competitive & successful. But in my estimation nothing less than Patino himself or a Rick P. clone of great reputation will satisfy the UK zealots now that blood is in the water. If Tubby can recruit some Minnesota kids and stay competitive in the Big Ten, he should be in great shape for along stay and less pressure. But on the other hand, the Gopher faithful were not real patient with Dan Monson even after he restored their credibility. What can one?, say, life Coaching at a Big Conference School is not a picnic.:D

SunDevilGolfZag
03-22-2007, 04:49 PM
:lmao: Look at the history of that program and the venom of the boosters, especially when they just ran out a quality coach who runs a clean program and emphasized academics. And it likely won't be as easy to win at Minnesota as it was at Kentucky -- how does one satisfy the Minnesota fans/boosters? Stress city

sittingon50
03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Pat Riley.;)

TrueLiz
03-22-2007, 05:35 PM
I was a Dan Monson supporter, but is just seemed by the end that it wasn't the right situation. Monson got some teams to play above their talent level (last year's trip to the NIT was considered big, based on how poorly the team played early), but he couldn't get enough talent to make it work.

Gopher fans certainly don't have the expectations that the Wildcats do, but being lumped in with Penn St & Northwestern as the basement dwellers in the Big 10, was not the answer. I am grateful for Monson cleaning up the program, and really wish he would've succeeded in Minnesota (as it was his Bulldog team's victory over my Gophers that started my interest in Gonzaga), but a couple years removed from the sanctions, things seemed to be looking worse on the court, rather than better. It has to be possible to win some big games once in awhile, and still have players complete their own homework. I sincerly hope he has a lot of success in the future, because things just didn't fall his way in Minnesota, and he seemed like a genuinely good person, and a good teacher.

At least if Tubby doesn't have instant success next year, they can keep showing replays of this ESPY award winning play of then high schooler Blake Hoffarber hitting the buzzer beater while lying on his backside - Monson did recruit him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJoxGpEswOI

Chewbacca
03-22-2007, 05:49 PM
http://www.firetubbysmith.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=d11302cc01936df61aa724ad7ffc6faf
Few is getting some attention from the Anti-Tubby crowd.

CDC84
03-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Most of the comments regarding Few on the UK scout.com and Rivals boards are very negative....

ZagMania
03-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I've been reading them and they seem to think Few can't recruit and that he hasn't proven himself..

Hopefully the Kentucky AD thinks like their fans.

zagster318
03-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I've been reading them and they seem to think Few can't recruit and that he hasn't proven himself..

Hopefully the Kentucky AD thinks like their fans.

Few is a great recruiter, but has he really proven himself yet? Remember, the elite eight run was under Monson.