PDA

View Full Version : Kings of the clipboard

RagTagZag
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
:link: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-coaches030509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Third team:
Randy Bennett, St. Mary’s – The Gaels would’ve won the West Coast Conference title if not for an injury to star guard Patrick Mills.

kyle dixon
03-05-2009, 11:02 AM
If I was God, the Zags would never lose.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll say it again... Has there ever been a team who went undefeated in conference and been this overlooked??

CDC84
03-05-2009, 11:17 AM
It continues to amaze me how some writers like Gary Parrish at CBS Sports continue to overblow St. Mary's 1st half performance at K2. He and others like him treat it as if the Gaels were up 25 before Mills went down. The Gaels were only up by 6 at the half, and the only reason they were was because a low 30's three point shooter stung the Zags for 6 three balls, when GU's game plan was clearly designed to take away that player's dribble penetration. And the Zags did take away Mills' bounce, because he didn't make a single 2 point basket in the 1st half. He was 0-8 inside the arc. I think Gonzaga had every bit as much of a chance of winning that game as SMC did if Mills had not been injured. The GU staff would've made halftime adjustments.

Angelo Roncalli
03-05-2009, 11:23 AM
If Patty Mills wouldn't have been hurt...

The stock market would have gone up in the past 5 weeks instead of down;

Global warning would have been reversed;

Chris Brown wouldn't have punched out Rihanna; and

All other tragedies large and small would have been averted.

Damn that Patty Mills.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
It continues to amaze me how some writers like Gary Parrish at CBS Sports continue to overblow St. Mary's 1st half performance at K2. He and others like him treat it as if the Gaels were up 25 before Mills went down. The Gaels were only up by 6 at the half, and the only reason they were was because a low 30's three point shooter stung the Zags for 6 three balls, when GU's game plan was clearly designed to take away that player's dribble penetration. And the Zags did take away Mills' bounce, because he didn't make a single 2 point basket in the 1st half. He was 0-8 inside the arc. I think Gonzaga had every bit as much of a chance of winning that game as SMC did if Mills had not been injured. The GU staff would've made halftime adjustments.

I couldn't agree more. And don't forget that underhanded 14-footer right before half (I forget who shot it for the Gaels).

Also, I've never heard of a team gaining so much credibility for a game THEY LOST.

siliconzag
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I am not saying I agree with this, but what these writers are saying is that they too have been disappointed by the Zags over the years. They are not only talking about this years team, they are generalizing about them. They are "pseudo", "quasi", "flashes in the pan", you name it!

What they are saying, and again, I hear it from everybody who knows I am a Zag fan. Your Zags are lovable, but they just ain't that good, let me count the ways, then they bring up UCLA, Nevada, Texas Tech, Indiana, Memphis, U Conn, Portland State, Utah, and Wyoming. And what's a fella to do?

People are dog piling on us. They are referring to the Zags as pretenders.
As over rated. You name it. But what they are doing is generalizing from the past. And here is what George Will would say, "...Gonzaga has always underachieved, until it didn't." Please let this be the year we didn't.

Sili

FuManShoes
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
So let me get this straight: It's a sign of a great coach when his team loses 4out of 5 games when is star goes down? The Gaels' inability to stay in the WCC race without Mills validates Randy Bennett's coaching ability? Huh? Maybe these writers haven't gotten the memo. Saint Mary's not only didn't win the WCC, it wilted like a pansy when Patty got hurt. That doesn't speak well for a team that has other players who should have stepped up in a league that offers little resistence outside of GU. The Patty love fest, rationalization and revisionist history has got to stop. Can the Zags please pound these guys when they face off for the WCC Tourney Crown? That might cost the WCC a Tourney bid but frankly I'm tired of defending a league that treats its breadwinner like ####.

gamagin
03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I am not saying I agree with this, but what these writers are saying is that they too have been disappointed by the Zags over the years. They are not only talking about this years team, they are generalizing about them. They are "pseudo", "quasi", "flashes in the pan", you name it!

What they are saying, and again, I hear it from everybody who knows I am a Zag fan. Your Zags are lovable, but they just ain't that good, let me count the ways, then they bring up UCLA, Nevada, Texas Tech, Indiana, Memphis, U Conn, Portland State, Utah, and Wyoming. And what's a fella to do?

People are dog piling on us. They are referring to the Zags as pretenders.
As over rated. You name it. But what they are doing is generalizing from the past. And here is what George Will would say, "...Gonzaga has always underachieved, until it didn't." Please let this be the year we didn't. Sili

We haven't gotten beyond the expected point that the pre season hype has said we would. i.e. the polls plus the nature of the five losses.

And those pro yakkers who talk about it for months on end, and are somewhat paid to at least come close, are tired of being wrong about us and the disappointment is showing.

Inside the WCC, clearly, good teams are developing and they are not going to be happy until they take our place. And much of that begins with talk like what Mills "would have" done in that second half. We tend to make the same assumptions with the return of Sacre. The facts say we beat others with who we have at the time of the game. Period. That's all that counts.

Nevertheless, the chat becomes the buzz and the buzz becomes the new reality.

We need to treat those imposters all the same. However, there is no arguing our record has been one and done for some time now in the dance. And there's no question that performances have been spotty.

So it's become increasingly difficult for some to throw us into the conversation when talking about a deep run -- until we make one again.

I think it's incumbent on us in the GUB, at least, to try and talk rationally about our chances throughout the season. And let the W-L do the talking. Or the talking heads do the hyping.

It's okay to dream but it seems to be a fool's errand to start in June with ff talk. Or was it April or may?

For all intents and purposes, we have set a very good table for ourselves this season. If we take care of business in the WCC tourney and play like our hair is on fire in the dance, there's just no telling.

Here's hoping. And here's stating the really, really great news is we have the capability to beat anyone. And we are healthy. Everyone knows it. It's also well known that we can & have been beaten. We need to play as though we are down 10 all the time, even if we are up 20.

Our greater task is to match our talent with the willpower to let it all hang out; to focus & play every second of every game from this moment on and then to see what happens when the kind of teamwork we are capable of unleashes itself. I believe we are ready for this and the timing couldn't be better.

And I can't wait for it to happen.

Go Zags !

CDC84
03-05-2009, 12:30 PM
What the pundits should be saying is this: if Mills were healthy, the Gaels are a NCAA tournament caliber team. Speculating on how they would and wouldn't have done within league if they had Mills involves quite a bit of speculation...especially since they got hammered in two of their losses without him. The Zags swept the WCC this year, and won WCC games by an average of 20 points per contest. I mean, if we want to take it to that level, Gonzaga could argue that SMC needed a buzzer beater 3 pointer by Mills to beat Santa Clara in Moraga....a team that Gonzaga absolutely annihilated in Spokane.

malmer7
03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
if the gaels had been undefeated before mills got hurt then i could understand the over-hype, but they lost to some teams that weren't amazing at the time and mills was right there.
i think we can all agree that they'd have a better record if mills never got hurt, and that's ABOUT all

ZagLawGrad
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll say it again... Has there ever been a team who went undefeated in conference and been this overlooked??

Doubtful for sure.

It's attitude time, fellas. Big, mean A*@ kickin' attitude time.

lothar98zag
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
wish #1 - GU wins 2 games in Vegas.

wish #2 - I hope SMC gets an at-large spot in the tourney. If all of this press they are getting helps, I'm ok with it.

dnj116
03-05-2009, 01:34 PM
The Patty love fest, rationalization and revisionist history has got to stop. Can the Zags please pound these guys when they face off for the WCC Tourney Crown? That might cost the WCC a Tourney bid but frankly I'm tired of defending a league that treats its breadwinner like ####.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Norwester
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Imagine if Stan, Kyle and Cartman were basketball fans...

What would Patty Mills do
If he was here right now,
He'd make a plan
And he'd follow through,
That's what Patty Mills would do.

When Patty Mills was in the Olympics,
Hoopin' for the gold,
He did two cross-overs and a three point shot,
While wearing a blind fold.

When Patty Mills was in the bush,
Fighting crocodiles,
He used his magical fire breath,
And killed them with his smile.

So what would Patty Mills do
If he could play today,
I'm sure he'd kick an ass or two,

I want that V-chip out of Omar,
It has stunted his vo-ca-bu-lar-y.

And I just want Lucas Walker
To stop dirty fouling everyone

For Tomgyrl I'll be a LaSallian too,
Cause that's what Patty Mills would do.

And what else would Patty Mills do?
He'd call all the kids in town,
And tell them to unite for red and blue

When Patty Mills traveled through time
To the year 3010,
He fought the evil NC-double-A
and saved the human race again

And when Patty Mills built the Golden Gate,
He beat up bad, bad Leroy Brown.

Cause Patty Mills doesn't take #### from an-y-body

So let's all get together,
And unite to sing his praise
And he'll save Pepperdine and LMU,

Cause that's what Patty Mills would dooooo,

GUZagDenver
03-05-2009, 01:47 PM

I totally agree. I hope we pound these guys in Vegas. I could care less if they make the tournament. In fact, I hope they don't make it. SMC making the tournament does nothing for us here on out, so srew 'em. Getting three teams from the league into the tournament last year didn't help us much this year, so I have no reason to root for SMC. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll lose to Portland.

roxdoc
03-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Gamagin makes a good point - we have let the talking heads down repeatedly. Can't expect them to stick their necks out very far. Time to put that feeling to rest. I say to the team, be focused, be hungry, and more importantly to the coaches: lets get more motovational this year, not for just one game but for the next eight!

GO ZAGS

kitzbuel
03-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Imagine if Stan, Kyle and Cartman were basketball fans...

What would Patty Mills do
If he was here right now,
He'd make a plan
And he'd follow through,

When Patty Mills was in the Olympics,
Hoopin' for the gold,
He did two cross-overs and a three point shot,
While wearing a blind fold.

When Patty Mills was in the bush,
Fighting crocodiles,
He used his magical fire breath,
And killed them with his smile.

So what would Patty Mills do
If he could play today,
I'm sure he'd kick an ass or two,

I want that V-chip out of Omar,
It has stunted his vo-ca-bu-lar-y.

And I just want Lucas Walker
To stop dirty fouling everyone

For Tomgyrl I'll be a LaSallian too,

And what else would Patty Mills do?
He'd call all the kids in town,
And tell them to unite for red and blue

When Patty Mills traveled through time
To the year 3010,
He fought the evil NC-double-A
and saved the human race again

And when Patty Mills built the Golden Gate,
He beat up bad, bad Leroy Brown.

Cause Patty Mills doesn't take #### from an-y-body

So let's all get together,
And unite to sing his praise

Cause that's what Patty Mills would dooooo,
Some Sili competition?!

bballbeachbum
03-05-2009, 04:04 PM
so I broke down and read this

it's like a marketing piece, and King is a salesman. I'm sure his editor made him do this, because hey, we read these lists! And 25 choices, hard to whiff.

who is King first of all? someone's mouthpiece, of course.

anyway, the pic of Romar in the same group as Bennett...telling, and not exactly Zag friendly.

Without mentioning our own, how about these guys?

Travis Ford, OK St
Jamie Dixon, Pitt
Dino Gaudio, Wake Forest (that sweet ob play to beat Duke was awesome)
Bill Carmody, Northwestern

BobZag
03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MotNtq41NDw&feature=related

MJGoGaels
03-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Yep, I agree with you, and Parrish is in the business of selling hits to his page/site, newspapers, etc., and it's working. The press you have to take the good with the bad or distasteful.

Angelo, clarifies the other crisis created or bad karma started. Your pentence - enduring a OT loss in the championship on Monday. Sorry. Cheers. Time to pack and get out of town.

DixieZag
03-06-2009, 07:14 AM
I agree that we have underperformed in the NCAAs the last couple of years and we will have to win to get some mojo back, but what I would really like to see is a poll of coaches who WANT to see GU in their first three games.

GoZags
03-06-2009, 07:26 AM
I agree that we have underperformed in the NCAAs the last couple of years and we will have to win to get some mojo back, but what I would really like to see is a poll of coaches who WANT to see GU in their first three games.

The last two years:
10 seed Gonzaga (with a suspended Josh Heytvelt) lost to 7 seed Indiana. Was that underperforming?

7 seed Gonzaga was a 2 point underdog against 10 seed Davidson and lost. I guess that could be called underperforming -- and I wish the Zags had won that game (and a couple of ensuing games). Of course we later learned that Josh was about 50 - 60% (what some called a lack of heart really translated into additional foot surgery required).

So while GU has gone "one and done" the last two years -- it isn't exactly as if they'd been highly seeded and flamed out. They simply lost two games.

I'm looking forward to Sunday's game against USD or SCU -- and any and all games after that. I like the fact that this year's Zags are being overlooked. It's a good place to be.

kyle dixon
03-06-2009, 07:39 AM
"Your pentence - enduring a OT loss in the championship on Monday. Sorry. Cheers. Time to pack and get out of town."

Overtime? Why overtime? This resembles a little Mask invaders working overtime, fighting crime circa 1980s cartoon that I used to watch as a young whipper snapper. Why not just handle the damn thing within the 40 minutes?

Good luck boys. I think I read that over half the Orleans Arena will be filled with Zag fans. Let's bring home some more hardware..:)

coolhandzag
03-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Mills is a good player, but he played way over his head at K2 in the first half. Don't forget the junk-ball scoop shot right before half. The Zags were only down by 6 all things considered, that game was wide open for either team.

I am very much looking forward to the conference final.

Zags.....go out and nail 'em like it's the last game of your life!

hondo46
03-06-2009, 07:44 AM
When all is said and done there usually are about 64 teams in the NCAA who you could say underperformed if that is how you want to look at it. There are a whole lot of other teams out there who don't get in and half of them could end their season with a win and thus escape the underperform tag.