PDA

View Full Version : OT: Boys AAAA Tournament

Angelo Roncalli
03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Gonzaga Prep beat Decatur 60-54 tonight to advance to the quarterfinals where they'll likely face Garfield and Tony Wroten.

ZagLawGrad
03-04-2009, 08:15 PM
As Ferris proved last year, Mr. Wroten is likely going to have problems with the physical play and size of GPrep's posts.

Zag 77
03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Ryan Nicholas fueled a comeback after GP was down 17-2 in the first quarter. Finished with 22 points and 8-8 at the line. Junior post, 3rd leading scorer in GSL this year. I am telling you, maybe we should be looking at this kid. Good physical skills, but mentally tough and intelligent too.

Argentum
03-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Nicholas is really skilled for a high school post, but he's always struck me as a little short for power forward at the D-I level. On the other hand I have seen him dunk pretty easily and he runs the floor well for a guy with some bulk so he's more athletic than meets the eye. I understand he plays with the GU players occasionally in the off season so the program is definitely aware of him.

cggonzaga
03-05-2009, 07:36 AM
A couple weeks ago I posted that if Ryan was 2" taller he'd be recruited by every team in the Pac 10. Great post skills plus he can step out to about 15' and knock down that shot consistently. Good free throw shooter too. Also, has a tremendous work ethic. Maybe another growth spurt over the summer will allow him to be recruited by a higher level school. He'll star in the Big Sky or similar conference as he is now.

Zag 77
03-05-2009, 08:41 AM
I never saw Spink and Pendo play in high school, but this kid could be the same type of guy. Mental toughness and intelligence still count for something.

MDABE80
03-05-2009, 08:54 AM
WazzuCOug82 dropped this on another board so I thought I'd drop it here...enjoy!

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/gameschedules.asp?sd=1&sport_id=1

BobZag
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Kentridge and Gary Bell won, too. Gonzaga was there to watch.

Straightedge Hooper
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
I'll be there covering the quarterfinal games, I would strongly recommend that the coaching staff gets on the Gary Bell bandwagon, kids a stud.

BobZag
03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I'll be there covering the quarterfinal games, I would strongly recommend that the coaching staff gets on the Gary Bell bandwagon, kids a stud.

They are. Thanks!

gamagin
03-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Prep was all but out when they had to win three games in (i think) 2-3 days to get back in the tourney.

And now they are letting that determination and the mo they created for themselves carry them forward. And they are looking stronger with each game, imo. Great story !

Go Prep !

ZagLawGrad
03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
The guard from Walla Walla, Gary Winston, looks really good. All CBBN and All Regional 1st teamer. If Walla Walla can hang in the Tournament for a 4th or higher finish, he'll make all tournament team. Yesterday, he was 7-12 10-13 for 25 points.

lothar98zag
03-05-2009, 01:13 PM
could someone post a link to the tourney brackets? thanks!

st. al
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Nice to see the mighty Redmond Mustangs get blown out by 30...:(

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Go Wa-Hi Blue Devils.

I graduated with Gary Winston, Sr and now we both have kids at Wa-Hi ,which means we both had kids way too late in life... :lmao:

azzagfan
03-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Bracket (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/flatpages/sports/highschool/statehoops09/class4aboyswinner.html)

Zag 77
03-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Prep loses to Garfield 48-44 in a grinding defensive effort in OT. Nicholas had 21 for GP. Soph Tony Wroten is a stud for Garfield and got 23. The announcers on internet radio said Wroten was getting "star" treatment by the refs, but give him credit for putting the team on his back in OT. Garfield is in Final 4, Prep plays for 4th in consolation bracket.

MDABE80
03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
If David Stockton walks on, it'll be interesting. I have somemixed feelings on this but he's got the look of major determination about him. He's slow to grow like his Dad was. I have a hunch that he might be a steal within the next few years. Meanwhile Nicholas at 6 ft 7 in.and with another yr to go in HS might be another local to watch.

ZagLawGrad
03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
If David Stockton walks on, it'll be interesting. I have somemixed feelings on this but he's got the look of major determination about him. He's slow to grow like his Dad was. I have a hunch that he might be a steal within the next few years. Meanwhile Nicholas at 6 ft 7 in.and with another yr to go in HS might be another local to watch.

I don't see either as a D-1 player. Gritty players for sure. Perhaps Big Sky or Whitworth level.

UberZagFan
03-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Foss won. . . .just saying. :D

azzagfan
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't see either as a D-1 player. Gritty players for sure. Perhaps Big Sky or Whitworth level.

You're likely already aware, but the Big Sky is D-1.

ZagLawGrad
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
You're likely already aware, but the Big Sky is D-1.

Yeah. That didn't come out right. Thanks.

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Bullpups just won this afternoon to take 4th at state. David Stockton once again led the team in points ,assists and steals.

Congrats to GP for taking home a trophy.

MDABE80
03-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Good kid. As he develops further, somebody's going to get a very good player.

kclubfounder
03-07-2009, 06:42 PM
We'll see what happens in the championship game, but if Garfield wins handily then clearly G Prep was the 2nd best team and that overtime 2nd round game was for the championship.

I don't think Garfield will win handily, but if....

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2009, 07:14 PM
We'll see what happens in the championship game, but if Garfield wins handily then clearly G Prep was the 2nd best team and that overtime 2nd round game was for the championship.

I don't think Garfield will win handily, but if....

Should be an interesting game. But I won't be surprised to see Federal Way run away with this one. Might depend on how much load Wroten can carry for GField.

kclubfounder
03-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Halftime. Fun game. My 1st look at Wroten.

Looks like a Husky, not a Zag. The shoes, the "I'm too cool for school" attitude, the free throw style, etc... Wow. I thought I was going to be pulling for Garfield when this game started. Wrong. Go Federal Way! Wroten, you aren't as 'bad' as you think you are.

Now, after typing this he will probably go off and win the game for Garfield, but I stand by my assertion that he is a Dawg, not a Dog. And they can have him.

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Halftime. Fun game. My 1st look at Wroten.

Looks like a Husky, not a Zag. The shoes, the "I'm too cool for school" attitude, the free throw style, etc... Wow. I thought I was going to be pulling for Garfield when this game started. Wrong. Go Federal Way! Wroten, you aren't as 'bad' as you think you are.

Now, after typing this he will probably go off and win the game for Garfield, but I stand by my assertion that he is a Dawg, not a Dog. And they can have him.

Very good assessment. Agreed 100%.

kclubfounder
03-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Wroten didn't "go off" in the 2nd half. In fact, his attitude and effort were even worse. Wow. This guy is NOT a Zag. Maybe things will change in the next 2 years, but I doubt it.

Congrats Federal Way. Thank the coach of Garfield that he didn't bench the great Wroten or things may have been different.

TM27
03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Wroten didn't "go off" in the 2nd half. In fact, his attitude and effort were even worse. Wow. This guy is NOT a Zag. Maybe things will change in the next 2 years, but I doubt it.

Congrats Federal Way. Thank the coach of Garfield that he didn't bench the great Wroten or things may have been different.

Interesting....I get you as it was uninspired, but you do realize that Coach Few would take Wroten in a heartbeat. And quickly proclaim him to be the greatest zag recruit ever. As would almost EVERY other D1 basketball coach! He is 16, sick with the flu and played against really good team defense. It is obvious he has been able to play most games at 75%...wait until he learns to play at 100%. He has much to learn....but couldnt you see the foundation? Dont give up on him now...lets revisit this when he is a senior.

And I hate the color purple more than most, but your comment about him being a Dawg (and not a zag) because his lack of hustle, and it pains me to write this, shows you haven't been watching this year. This year Muttlake has outworked almost every team they have played. I hope to gosh he doesn't go purple. Please let him end up at Louisville....if of course he chooses not to be a zag ;)

MDABE80
03-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Wouldn't fit. Best wishes to him..having the flu wouldn't account for that attitude. sorry........Few wouldn't have this.

TM27
03-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Wouldn't fit. Best wishes to him..having the flu wouldn't account for that attitude. sorry........Few wouldn't have this.

Abe by chance how many times have you seen him play? And you are telling me that if Wroten told few he wanted to be a zag...Few would tell him to take a hike?

MDABE80
03-07-2009, 10:46 PM
As I've seen him play, right now he wouldn't fit. TEAM isn't in his thought pattern right now. I doubt Few would want a self centered kid. If he grows up, maybe but now...no. Other things besides talent go into the decision to offer a kid. I know one of the biggest is whether he would fit with the type of kids GU attracts.

You must like him a lot. Seriously, he may grow up..........but as of now....go Romar!! Maybe he needs a Romar type.....he seems to befriend his kids. Fews a coach and a serious one. He likes the type of kids we get. Team type guys. Remember this: there's lots of kid with lots of talent. Look no further than USC who didn't do much last year and doesn't look like much this year despite having 2 much heralded kids.

We'll see though. Nothing is absolute.

TM27
03-07-2009, 11:02 PM
As I've seen him play, right now he wouldn't fit. TEAM isn't in his thought pattern right now. I doubt Few would want a self centered kid. If he grows up, maybe but now...no. Other things besides talent go into the decision to offer a kid. I know one of the biggest is whether he would fit with the type of kids GU attracts.

You must like him a lot. Seriously, he may grow up..........but as of now....go Romar!! Maybe he needs a Romar type.....he seems to befriend his kids. Fews a coach and a serious one. He likes the type of kids we get. Team type guys. Remember this: there's lots of kid with lots of talent. Look no further than USC who didn't do much last year and doesn't look like much this year despite having 2 much heralded kids.

We'll see though. Nothing is absolute.

Agree...now = no way. 2 years from now? The ceiling for Wroten compared to most seems so much higher. If this kid can learn how to bring it (which could happen simply be playing against better comp...much like tonight) I think he could be one of the best to ever come out of Seattle.

But lets revisit this in 2 years because it is clear he has some growing up to do between now and the time he earns his diploma. One thing is certain though...well maybe 2 things...I hate UW and I would never want him to end up there. His potential is too high and he just might thrive under Romar's "no coaching" approach.

zagfan08
03-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Honestly, Wroten probably won't want to come here anyway. He'll want to take his show to a big conference and get as much attention as possible.

His free throw routine is disgusting, by the way. And I'm not even sure I'd want him at this point. He'll have to mature A LOT in the next two years.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Hard to believe Wroten was voted Tournament MVP by the media after his effort last night.

After watching him for two years in a row at the 4A tournament, I see a bit of TO in him that he'll have to fix, or he'll tear a team apart.

Zag 77
03-08-2009, 12:16 PM
GP defeated Inglemoor in OT for 4th place, a nice showing for their first trophy since 1991. Travis Long and David Stockton get some nice mention in Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2008826872_boynotes08.html

MDABE80
03-08-2009, 12:49 PM
BZ ....is David Stockton GU next year? I hope he does. He'd be a great addition. It seems to be a topic on other boards. Ang? CDC? BZ?

Zag 77
03-08-2009, 08:02 PM
He would have to be judged at least a better player talent-wise than walk-ons like Sorensen, Pontarolo, and Shaggy.

Plus, he probably has his own key to The Warehouse basketball facility.

UberZagFan
03-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Uber attended the semi-finals on Friday (and yes, Foss got spanked). Wroten has a lot of talent but wow, just wow. Uber's not sure he was involved in even one offensive set. It was basically 4 guys running the O with Wroten standing around waiting for the others to realize nothing was working and then giving him the ball. And his FT routine? Embarrassing. Dribbling between your legs as you walk up to the line? That sure takes talent.

p.s. Uber was in line at the snack bar during half time right next to Romar who was buying a big bucket of popcorn. It took all Uber had to refrain from breaking into a chicken dance! Instead, Uber just wished him luck the next day....ah the missed opportunity!

eastsideballer
03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
It would be very cool to see Stockton walk on at GU. And Nicholas is a perfect fit for the Zags, he brings back what they had to start this whole run, intensity, passion, blue collar work ethic, and a will to win. Besides, his size is better than Pendo's who is 6'4" and he seemed to get it done well.