PDA

View Full Version : Just so I understand---

theirishzag03
03-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Kansas beats Missouri (beats is a nice word here) by what 25? Missouri beats Oklahoma with Blake Griffin by 9 and Kansas loses to Texas Tech by 19 tonight!

Yet Oklahoma is a "lock" for a #1 seed? Zags seem to have reached a ceiling of a #5? I guess it means more to lose by 25 to a BCS team than to beat teams by double digits almost all the way through conference!

I think Memphis may have just moved up to a #1 if all is fair!

Purdue, Marquette (continuing to miss Dominic James) and LSU all losing may help the Zags, but we shall see!

It all speaks to the PARITY that exists- and gives me hope no matter what seed we get!

Zag79
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
personally i dont think the sooners are a lock. and i dont think our cap is a 5. i wouldnt be surprised if we got a 4 seed barring we win the wcc tourney.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Oklahoma is by no means a "lock" for a #1 seed. Certainly not now. They are, however, still in pretty good position to secure one, provided they win all they the Big 12 Tournament. I think Memphis could get a number one seed, but it will take several teams slipping. I think a team like Louisville or even Michigan State (provided they win out) might jump Memphis because of their comparatively weaker schedule.

No team is a lock for a #1 seed at this point, and all #1 seed candidates (with the exception of Memphis) have several more big games to make (or break) their case.

What does look likely is that two of those #1 seeds will come from the Big East and one will come from the ACC. The fourth is Oklahoma's to lose, but could fall to Michigan State, Memphis, or second team from the ACC (If Duke wins the ACC for instance) if Oklahoma falters again.

It's certainly more than Academic who gets the #1 seeds for us Gonzaga fans. Since we seem destined (provided we take care of business) for a 4/5 seed, having the right #1 seed in your bracket could be a big factor in a potential sustained run. I sure would rather see Oklahoma or UCONN than North Carolina in the sweet 16...

theirishzag03
03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
No team is a lock for a #1 seed at this point, and all #1 seed candidates (with the exception of Memphis) have several more big games to make (or break) their case.

I sure would rather see Oklahoma or UCONN than North Carolina in the sweet 16...

Many "experts" have said the Sooners were a lock. It was more the context than an actual fact. At this point, what it shows me, is I don't care who we play! I am not scared of ANY team (Memphis and Pitt maybe) ;) I am more afraid of US! I don't think it will happen, but a Utah or PSU effort is the ONLY thing that worries me. However, those days seem a thing of the past. Zags are gelling at the perfect time!

Vegas here WE come!

Reborn
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
What really got my hair to stand up a little tonight was listening to Dicky V say that Memphis would finish 6th or 7th in the Big East. I am so sick of him and his love for the BIS schools. I can just hear what he might say about Gonzaga. And this is a good thread, I think, because this year so many of the top teams have gotten absolutely killed by teams that I know that St. Mary's, and maybe even Santa Clara and possibly Portland would beat if they would DARE play them at their home sites. That's the thing about this year. No one can win on the road, and even some teams some how get killed at home (like North Carolina by Boston and UCONN by Georgetown), yet let Gonzaga lose to Memphis and we're crippled the rest of the year. This topic, as you can see, really gets me riled up.:(

GamblingZag
03-04-2009, 10:29 PM
At some point you just have to accept that luck (or better: variance) plays a huge role. A team winning a game hardly means it is the better team. Remember in the NBA they have to play a seven game series to determine the champion. ...and now to decide who advances to round two (sigh).

jim77
03-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I think Memphis would do better than that. I'll tell ya something else too...Memphis has more team speed than ANY team in the big east. I really hope they come against one of those 6 or 7 better team and Dickie is calling the game. He may end up Farting black feathers for months. I'll tell ya another observation...Memphis has more team speed than ANY team in college basketball. The speed Memphis has was what through us for a loop. We really couldn't do anything with them till we put in our speedsters. Their quickness allows them to match up with any team.....very few teams hit the boards harder...especially on offense.

WallaWallaZag
03-05-2009, 07:30 AM
i think louisville matches up with memphis in terms of athleticism...they're another team i think we might struggle against with their ability to defend, though they may not be as consistent as memphis.

theirishzag03
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
i think louisville matches up with memphis in terms of athleticism...they're another team i think we might struggle against with their ability to defend, though they may not be as consistent as memphis.

Villanova is a "quick" team as well. But Memphis 6-7th in the Big Least??? C'mon Dukie V!!! It does NOT help Memphis' case losing to Syracuse and and flailing Georgetown early in the year, however.

Jim77- would love to see Dick eat some crow as well.

Funny stuff- this morning's RPI has Portland State and Texas Tech tied at 118th. BUT- do you think Kansas losing at Tech will hurt them as much as us losing to PSU over 2 months ago? Nope! Also, St Mary's slid into the top 50 (barely) #50.

bullzag23
03-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Funny stuff- this morning's RPI has Portland State and Texas Tech tied at 118th. BUT- do you think Kansas losing at Tech will hurt them as much as us losing to PSU over 2 months ago? Nope! Also, St Mary's slid into the top 50 (barely) #50.

This is not a coincidence. RPI is averaged over the entire season, so at this point in the season a bad loss or a good win won't affect RPI numbers as much as they would early on in the year. Case in point, our RPI barely dropped after we played 300+ USC-Upstate. At this point the data is almost complete, so the RPI rankings are pretty much settling into their final positions at this point.

bballbeachbum
03-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Villanova is a "quick" team as well. But Memphis 6-7th in the Big Least??? C'mon Dukie V!!! It does NOT help Memphis' case losing to Syracuse and and flailing Georgetown early in the year, however. .

both those losses were pre-Evans at the point; as is well documented, they haven't lost since that change. and btw Dickie V, where you finish in the Big East is also related to how lucky you got with the Big East's unbalanced scheduling...see Marquette and Georgetown, for example, but I digress....

The talking heads are paid to promote and push agenda (just like the "business reporter" talking heads on CNBC, FOX "News", etc...did you see Jon Stewart on this last night? funny stuff) again, I digress.........

Anyway, maybe you have already read this one? if not, it's on Coach Cal and Memphis, and it's on topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3950309

GO ZAGS!!!

gozagswoohoo
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Ugh....have I ever told yans how much I DESPISE Mizzou???

Mizzou is to woohoo as UW is to you Spokanians.

hoopster777
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Honestly Memphis is not one of the best 4 teams in the country. They could get a #1 seed because they've played well, but do you guys really think playing Louisville, Pitt, and UCONN multiple times will all be Memphis wins? Memphis is a solid team but people aren't sold on them, and even though they beat us, I see a team knocking them out early.