Early predictions on the NCAA tournament....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hoopster777
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2007

Early predictions on the NCAA tournament....

So the brackets aren't out yet, but we have a while until our next game. What are people's early predictions of the final four, and what teams are the teams to look out for?

I really think Wake Forest, who will probably be a #2, has the potential to go to the final four, and could knock off a #1 just based on matchups. Big point guard, athletic forwards. They'll be very tough for Pitt, Oklahoma or UCONN, highly doubt they'd put them in the same bracket as UNC, if they get that far. They are just very young team and can play inconsistent, but I would not be surprised if they made it to the final four.

Duke is the other team I see making the final four, no matter which bracket they are in. Look for Duke to knock off UNC this weekend. Elliot Williams has been the late spark plug for that team and Gerald Henderson is playing FANTASTIC basketball. Its hard to see this team losing early, and even though their weakness is their frontcourt, their backcourt, like Gonzaga, can absolutely light it up on some nights.

LSU is a team that also can go deep into the tournament. They've put up tough teams in the past, and it seems every team Trent Johnson goes to is successful. I REALLY hope LSU is not in our bracket. They likely will be a #3 seed, so hopefully if we're in the same bracket, we're a #5. LSU has a few very talented players in Thornton, Mitchell, and Johnson, all NBA quality players. Even though the SEC sucks right now, LSU is playing great basketball and can really hang with any team.

What are other people's thoughts?
  • malmer7
    Kennel Club
    • Jan 2008

my prediction: things are going to get wild this year! it's not going to be like last year where all #1 seeds advance. the elite teams are not far above the rest and so you may see 1 or 2 #1 seeds in there, but i would not at all be surprised to see a #5 or higher (GU at #5? nice!) in the final 4

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

This is the least intimidating group of number one and two seeds I can think of in recent tournament history. I expect closer games, and I wouldn't be shocked to see half of the one's and two's go down the first weekend. It's going to be an entertaining tournament.

Comment

• 4AmericasTeam
        Kennel Club Material
        • Dec 2008

This is a true year for pin the tail on the donkey. The title could wind up anywhere, much less the Elite 8 or Final 4. Could just as well be the Zags if we get on a roll -- that's the key, get a good draw and get on a roll.
        Last edited by 4AmericasTeam; 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• 75Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

Final 4

I have not considered brackets but UNC, Duke, UCLA and Kansas feel like final 4 material to me.
          Do not go gentle into that good night,
          Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
          Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• pbriz
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Apr 2007

recipe for success

I have noticed that a very strong recipe for success in the tournament are teams that have somewhat underachieved but have immense talent and experience.

Kansas last year, Florida 2007, UNC 2005-all those teams were absolutely loaded with talent and experience.

Based on my homemade predictor teams that may shock some people include: (not in any particular order)

Gonzaga
            St. Mary's
            Notre Dame (if they get in)
            Texas (if they get in)
            UCLA
            Arizona
            Purdue

Teams that I think have a legitimate chance to win it all:

UNC, Michigan State, Pitt, Connecticut
            It's F4 or bust.

Comment

• siliconzag
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Feb 2007

Right Now...

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
              I have not considered brackets but UNC, Duke, UCLA and Kansas feel like final 4 material to me.
              We tend to see things similarly with a few exceptions

It all depends on the brackets, obviously. So I will go with who I think will be in the Elite 8 instead:

Gonzaga (we have improved, but if we get another bad draw with a hot 3 point team, forget it)
              Kansas
              Memphis
              UNC
              Michigan State
              Washington
              Pitt
              Oklahoma
              U Conn

Other contenders
              Villanova
              Arizona State
              LSU
              Duke
              Wake
              UCLA
              Mizzou
              Utah

Sleeper Team: Creighton (Look out above! Booker is amazing and they are coming together. If they win their conference, they are going to be a tough out). Please don't let them play Gonzaga or the UW before they play us.

UW and Gonzaga are both on a roll right now. And I think depending on the brackets we could meet them.

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

No doubt about it...

Pitt and Memphis will round out the high end picks. Any team can go cold this time of the year. There are a few though.......that always play well........luck intervenes every year. Remember the title game last year???

Comment

• DoMieD
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2009

UCLA & Kansas will unlikely make it past the Sweet 16.

My Final Four (Likely will be all wrong lol)

North Carolina
                  Louisville
                  Pittsburgh
                  Duke

Sleepers : FSU, Arizona State, Villianova, Wake Forest, Washington

Overrated teams that will take an early exit as a high seed :

Michigan State(even though Izzo brings his team to play every March), Oklahoma, Kansas, LSU, Xavier, Memphis

I really liked Notre Dame, but the only way they can get in is if they run through the Big East tourny, which is unlikely.

It's all about who clicks at the right time, but the main factor comes from MATCHUPS!

Comment

• Nevtelen
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Likely FF teams: Oklahoma, Memphis, UNC, UConn. If there were 5, I'd say Pitt, too.

Likely teams that everyone will think will do well but will not get out of the Sweet 16: Duke (no frontcourt), Wake Forest (too young - will have an off game vs somebody), Mich St, Az St (Hardin will get into foul trouble and then watch out...), UCLA (way overrated this year)

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

My final 4 projections are: Pitt, Michigan St., North Carolina and Gonzaga.

Elite 8: The four above plus: Villanova, Louisville, Memphis, Duke

Sweet 16: The eight teams above plus: Washington, Kansas, UCLA, Missouri, LSU, Butler, Oklahoma, UCONN

Teams to watch out for in the first round: Utah, Arizona, California,
                      BYU, Davidson, St. Mary's, Arizona St., Marquette, Tennessee, Syracuse, Purdue, Illinois
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• GUZagDenver
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Oct 2008

Even though its a different team this year, I would NOT want to play Davidson in the 1st round this year. He doesn't have the same supporting cast, but Curry seems to have that knack for the spotlight and big games. He is more than capable of getting hot and putting up 40 for a couple of games in a row.

Comment

• cjm720
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

My Final 4 as of 3/5/09:
                          Louisville
                          North Carolina
                          Pitt
                          Memphis
                          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• CDC84
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Davidson

Davidson stands a good chance of not making the NCAA's unless they win their conference tournament. They only have a RPI of 68, and only possess one top 50 RPI win. Hard to imagine Steph Curry not being in the NCAA tourney, but it could happen.

Comment

• johnwzag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2008

I don't see Michigan State going far in the tourney.

They struggled against Indiana the other night.
                              When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                              X