PDA

View Full Version : Palm moves GU to #5 seed 3/4/09

MDABE80
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Raftery relikes the Zags. UW moves to a #4 seed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11233762

fedwayzag
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
and the fuskies

23dpg
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I think the Huskies make it to the sweet 16 this year. Especially with that draw.

brian_sun
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM

That's not a fair draw for the #4 seed Missouri. As a protected seed, they have to come to Boise to play a #5 seed Gonzaga? This is a very favorable draw for Gonzaga. Some how, I think the #4 seed got placed in Boise will be UW. That'd be really awesome for both teams' fans.

edcasey
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
seattle newspapers claiming there was a conference call with Lunardi....he all but guranteed UW of Portland and a 3 seed says it was 90% certain.......interesting...I smell second round match up coming with Huskies

lothar98zag
03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
seattle newspapers claiming there was a conference call with Lunardi....he all but guranteed UW of Portland and a 3 seed says it was 90% certain.......interesting...I smell second round match up coming with Huskies
Lunardi is right regarding UW-Portland. I have a hard time figuring out how UW could get bumped from Portland. There would have to be 2 western teams seeded higher than them that are located noticably closer to Portland than Boise.

edcasey
03-04-2009, 02:06 PM
so UW loses to WSU this weekend and then gets beat before the PAC 10 title game and UCLA wins the pac 10 title...wouldnt it make sense for UCLA to go to Portland versus Boise?

lothar98zag
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
so UW loses to WSU this weekend and then gets beat before the PAC 10 title game and UCLA wins the pac 10 title...wouldnt it make sense for UCLA to go to Portland versus Boise?
UCLA could go to either, but even if they go to Portland, I doubt there's a 2nd team seeded higher than UW that would go there instead of them...

I'm not sure how any of this affects GU. Maybe it means that if GU is sent to Portland the odds would be high that the potential 2nd round game is vs the PAC-10?

BobZag
03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Boise is fine. Hop on I-84 and zip on down. I don't see the big deal between Portland and Boise.

Das Zagger
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
That's not a fair draw for the #4 seed Missouri. As a protected seed, they have to come to Boise to play a #5 seed Gonzaga? This is a very favorable draw for Gonzaga.

I recall a similar situation happening to a certain team last year...

4AmericasTeam
03-04-2009, 05:26 PM

Fuskies as a 4 seed is big fodder for a first round upset if they go cold from outside when facing any 13 seed team with solid team basketball fundamentals. The Fuskies playground style wins in this year's weak PAC-10 when they can get rescued by Brockman's terrific consistency, and they should be commended for that. But come Dance time, being pared in their bracket could be a bonus for second round teams with a 4 seed gone. We can only hope. :D

dawgfather11
03-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Fuskies as a 4 seed is big fodder for a first round upset if they go cold from outside when facing any 13 seed team with solid team basketball fundamentals. The Fuskies playground style wins in this year's weak PAC-10 when they can get rescued by Brockman's terrific consistency, and they should be commended for that. But come Dance time, being pared in their bracket could be a bonus for second round teams with a 4 seed gone. We can only hope. :D

If we go cold from the outside? Wow it's obvious you haven't watched a single UW game all year. You might want to go check some facts first before opening up your mouth lol.

Anyways love the draw the crying illini in the 2nd round will make for an easy trip to the sweet 16. After that I've alway's felt that if their was any #1 that we matched up really well with that would be oklahoma. Think it's all moot though because I think UW gets a 3 seed.

4AmericasTeam
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Oops, struck a nerve. ;)

Pleasant Peninsula
03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Think it's all moot though because I think UW gets a 3 seed.

If they win the PAC-10 tournament, yes. But that's hardly a slam dunk.

dawgfather11
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
If they win the PAC-10 tournament, yes. But that's hardly a slam dunk.

Just for discussions sake let's compare resumes of the 3 seeds in this bracket.

Duke
25-5
Sos 4 RPI 1
top 50 8-5
last 10 7-3

Wake Forest
23-5
Sos 59 RPI 13
Top 50 7-2
last 10 7-3

Xavier
23-5
SoS 49 RPI 11
top 50 3-2
last 10 7-3

Villanova
24-6
Sos 36 RPI 14
top 50 5-6
last 10 8-2

Now UW's

Washington
23-7
sos 17 rpi 12
top 50 7-6
Last 10 8-2

Now Uw's resume is pretty comparable to duke and wake but better than both Nova and Xavier. UW definitely needs to beat wsu this weekend, but they are much closer to a 3 seed than you seem to think.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-04-2009, 07:07 PM
UW definitely needs to beat wsu this weekend, but they are much closer to a 3 seed than you seem to think.

Perhaps. But do you dispute that they probably need to win the tourny to get a #3? I mean, I suppose, a win vs. WSU and a close loss in the conference final would put them in the discussion for a 3/4, but only winning out guarantees them a 3, I think. Can't argue with the fact that their resume is impressive, though, especially considering expectations.

MDABE80
03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
If we go cold from the outside? Wow it's obvious you haven't watched a single UW game all year. You might want to go check some facts first before opening up your mouth lol.

Anyways love the draw the crying illini in the 2nd round will make for an easy trip to the sweet 16. After that I've alway's felt that if their was any #1 that we matched up really well with that would be oklahoma. Think it's all moot though because I think UW gets a 3 seed.

UW's always cold from the outside..and the free throw line.......Stop Brockman and it's over. Big athletes, no structure. Just a Romar wildman team. Mayhem. Structure and good defense will slow this group to nuthin....no offense Joe;)

23dpg
03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Boise is fine. Hop on I-84 and zip on down. I don't see the big deal between Portland and Boise.

"I do!", said the Portland man.

brian_sun
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
UW's always cold from the outside..and the free throw line.......Stop Brockman and it's over. Big athletes, no structure. Just a Romar wildman team. Mayhem. Structure and good defense will slow this group to nuthin....no offense Joe;)

Abe: how many Huskies games you've watched this year? We averaged 79.6pts per game, by far the best offensive team in the Pac 10. We led the Pac 10 in Rebounds per game by a WIDE margin, 3rd in steals. We are not a good 3pt shooting team, next to last in 3pt FG made and 3pt FG attempted. We only made 33.9% of our 3pt FG. So that tells me we get a lot of second chances and put back on our misses. Big athletes? Besides Jon Brockman, who's really that big in this lineup? Stop Brockman? The guy is a beast under the basket. You might be able to stop him on the offensive side, but you do not have anyone who can outwork him on defense, rebounding and hustle. Brock can probably be sandwiched by Daye and Heytfelt and still get a rebound. He's that tenacious. Without Sacre, you do NOT have anyone who can stop him from getting his boards. He will box out whoever is on his path. Brockman is the best player in this state, period.

Oh, you forgot the Jason Mesnick factor. The newly crowned Bachelor was actually a graduate from UW. Jason is a big basketball fan who I played against down in the IMA many times back in the good days when Brandon Roy was still in UW. UW not only has a great basketball team, but also better looking students than our eastern counter parts. It'd be a great game if we can meet in the sweet 16 or something.

Angelo Roncalli
03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh, you forgot the Jason Mesnick factor. The newly crowned Bachelor was actually a graduate from UW. Jason is a big basketball fan who I played against down in the IMA many times back in the good days when Brandon Roy was still in UW. UW not only has a great basketball team, but also better looking students than our eastern counter parts. It'd be a great game if we can meet in the sweet 16 or something.

I'm not so sure I'd be claiming Jason Mesnick as a positive. Did he cry when his team lost at the IMA?

2011Zag
03-05-2009, 01:30 PM

I'm not so sure I'd be claiming Jason Mesnick as a positive. Did he cry when his team lost at the IMA?

Or that you watch the Bachelor.

brian_sun
03-05-2009, 01:38 PM

LOL, I think he only cries for the ladies, certainly not in front of a bunch of sweaty dudes on the basketball court. But back in the old days, he was just an ordinary dude, doesn't look anything like he was in front of the camera. I wouldn't be surprised if he wore some kind of makeup when he's on the show. But I am sure any red blood Gonzaga male would love to be in his shoes to be surrounded by countless young female fans right about now. I know I would.

MDABE80
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Brian....everything I said is correct. Awful 3 pt and FT shooters. If Brockman is contained, UW loses. When I said "Big" , I probably shouldn't have shortened it up..."Big time" is what I meant. So what's the rub?

And as to your first question: I watched the one that were telecast... the telecast UW games were admitted lfewer than Zag games but I saw enough.

You're obviously a Husky fan. And Brockman obviously makes you wet. Nonetheless...ease up bud, I like Brockman too. He's the only thing separating the Zags from a FF this year..........I've said that for quite a long time now. Best Jon's happy he spent the last 2 years working for Romar........

dawgfather11
03-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Brian....everything I said is correct. Awful 3 pt and FT shooters. If Brockman is contained, UW loses. When I said "Big" , I probably shouldn't have shortened it up..."Big time" is what I meant. So what's the rub?

And as to your first question: I watched the one that were telecast... the telecast UW games were admitted lfewer than Zag games but I saw enough.

You're obviously a Husky fan. And Brockman obviously makes you wet. Nonetheless...ease up bud, I like Brockman too. He's the only thing separating the Zags from a FF this year..........I've said that for quite a long time now. Best Jon's happy he spent the last 2 years working for Romar........

Just a question, are the zags awful at FT's to? because GU is at 71% this year and uw 70% Oops? Uw definitely can win without brockman we are a very balanced team, which you would have seen had you actually stayed sober watching our games abe :P

p.s. brockman never would have came to GU, if it wasn't UW he woulda been at duke or UCLA. GU still never would have made the final 4 for 1 reason, that snake of a coach of yours can't coach defense.

2 days to vegas abe I hope you are there buddy!

MississppiZag
03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Wrong....Washington is the worst defensive team in the Pac-10. Gonzaga is #1 in the country in defensive FG%.

Washington has guards that stand at 5'11'', 5'11'', and 5'8''. They will get killed by teams with big guards. One midget is alright, but 3 at one time. I don't know...;)

And yes we do suck at FT's :)

dawgfather11
03-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Wrong....Washington is the worst defensive team in the Pac-10. Gonzaga is #1 in the country in defensive FG%.

Washington has guards that stand at 5'11'', 5'11'', and 5'8''. They will get killed by teams with big guards. One midget is alright, but 3 at one time. I don't know...;)

And yes we do suck at FT's :)

really? can we get some facts to back up your statement about our defense? Oh wait that's right there is none...

might want to check who has a higher/better defensive efficency rating between the 2 teams, i'll give you a hint, it's not the zags.

MDABE80
03-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Joe...it's different discussion. I know the Zags are great from the line...much improved now but still not so good. If you read Brain's apparent complaint, I was adressing that. It's irrelevant what the Zags do..except beat UW if the game comes up. Zags can and will....all anyone with a brain has to do is control JB at all costs. Everything falls into line then.

And I never said JB would have come to GU. But., to be accurate, it was UNC.... NOT Duke who was his finalist.

Oh and I don't drink. Thanx though.

Further...GU's defense is a lot better than it used to be. MUCH MUCH better than UW's even if one only looks at the top 100 teams..... GU's defense isn't coach by Few ( who you incorrectly characterise as a "snake"). Ray does and it's a very good defense.

Anything else I can enlighten you with, fire away. I'm always willing to teach you UW honks.

SUSpokanative
03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
You are right on the money. Huskies are solid this year and I fear meeting them in the tourney. Let us not forget however, Fuskies are notorious frontrunners They beat up on my Chieftains this week - okay Redhawks- in the Redhawks transition season. They have an overwhelming won - loss ratio versus S.U., but never played S.U.during the days when S.U was beating up on the elite of D-1 and feeding the NBA with players, about a twenty year span during the late 50's, entire 60's and early 70's. Funny how the Hussies suddenly cancelled the series with the Zags, after posting a 1-9 loss to win record.
I always say, "Once a front runner, always a front runner."

SUSpokanative
03-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Isn't it redundant that three fat guys are hungry to sell cars? Is it just me? I'm not really feeling the need to help make these duys fatter??..

MississppiZag
03-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Facts-

Gonzaga is #1 in the country in 2PT FG%. Washington is #99. Gonzaga gives up 38.8%. Washington gives up 46.2%. In front of Washington are teams lsuch as Columbia, Rutgers, Hawaii, Quinnipac, etc.

Washington gives up 70 points per game. That would be second to last in the Pac-10, just behind the defensive-minded Oregon ducks.

Gonzaga is 15th in Block%, while Washington is 269th.

Gonzaga averages 5.9 blocks in the country which is ranked 19th, Washington averages 2.9 which is below higher than the top 100.

Face it Gonzaga is better than Washington by a large margin. Analysts on ESPN point at Washington's defense as a weakness.

brian_sun
03-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Joe...it's different discussion. I know the Zags are great from the line...much improved now but still not so good. If you read Brain's apparent complaint, I was adressing that. It's irrelevant what the Zags do..except beat UW if the game comes up. Zags can and will....all anyone with a brain has to do is control JB at all costs. Everything falls into line then.

And I never said JB would have come to GU. But., to be accurate, it was UNC.... NOT Duke who was his finalist.

Oh and I don't drink. Thanx though.

Further...GU's defense is a lot better than it used to be. MUCH MUCH better than UW's even if one only looks at the top 100 teams..... GU's defense isn't coach by Few ( who you incorrectly characterise as a "snake"). Ray does and it's a very good defense.

Anything else I can enlighten you with, fire away. I'm always willing to teach you UW honks.

Abe, from your comment, you have apparently not watched enough Huskies games to teach anyone about our team. Dawgfather has already schooled you on that, so lay it to rest. We did not come here to talk trash about GU. It's fine to express your opinions about your team, but when presented with facts about our team, you just found all kinds of lame execuses to try to back up what you said earlier. The more you tried, the more of a fool you made out of yourself. No, we don't need you to teach us anything. We watch our team enough times this year to have an educated guess on what our limits are. I am not saying they are better or worse than the Zags. All I want to see is just a good match up between GU and UW in the tourney, and I am not even making any prediction should that game take place. We both have good teams this year, and we both have a bright future for years to come. Let's just leave it at that. This is my last comment about this matter, and I will not respond to anything you say on this thread.

outrunu
03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Palm has moved GU to a 4 in Portland, in the same bracket as NC, Pitt, and Kansas, setting up Zags and UNC for the 16. I dont like this branch of the tree.

bullzag23
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Palm has moved GU to a 4 in Portland, in the same bracket as NC, Pitt, and Kansas, setting up Zags and UNC for the 16. I dont like this branch of the tree.

Not sure what bracket you're looking at(maybe last week's?) but Zags are a 5 seed in Boise vs Siena according to http://www.collegerpi.com/. This would likely pit us against(pun intended) Pitt in the sweet 16 and Clemson in round 2. I think I'd prefer the 6 seed here, Villanova is the 3, Michigan St. is the 2, both are very beatable IMHO.

Edit: Actually now that I look at that bracket more closely, playing Clemson in Boise in the 2nd round wouldn't be so bad. For some reason I doubt the committee will send them this far west though, since this year they're trying to keep most teams close to home for the first rounds or so(for $$$$$ reasons).

dawgfather11
03-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Facts-

Gonzaga is #1 in the country in 2PT FG%. Washington is #99. Gonzaga gives up 38.8%. Washington gives up 46.2%. In front of Washington are teams lsuch as Columbia, Rutgers, Hawaii, Quinnipac, etc.

Washington gives up 70 points per game. That would be second to last in the Pac-10, just behind the defensive-minded Oregon ducks.

Gonzaga is 15th in Block%, while Washington is 269th.

Gonzaga averages 5.9 blocks in the country which is ranked 19th, Washington averages 2.9 which is below higher than the top 100.

Face it Gonzaga is better than Washington by a large margin. Analysts on ESPN point at Washington's defense as a weakness.

Adjusted Defense UW 14th Adjusted Defense Gonzaga 17th, oops?

MDABE80
03-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Abe, from your comment, you have apparently not watched enough Huskies games to teach anyone about our team. Dawgfather has already schooled you on that, so lay it to rest. We did not come here to talk trash about GU. It's fine to express your opinions about your team, but when presented with facts about our team, you just found all kinds of lame execuses to try to back up what you said earlier. The more you tried, the more of a fool you made out of yourself. No, we don't need you to teach us anything. We watch our team enough times this year to have an educated guess on what our limits are. I am not saying they are better or worse than the Zags. All I want to see is just a good match up between GU and UW in the tourney, and I am not even making any prediction should that game take place. We both have good teams this year, and we both have a bright future for years to come. Let's just leave it at that. This is my last comment about this matter, and I will not respond to anything you say on this thread.

Ah Heck! You UW Honks always quit when the goin get a bit rough. Expected I guess. I do hope the beatdown happens. UW needs some more public humiliation. Hope we meet....if not this year...anytime, anyplace or anywhere. The tough part is that UW only gets in the tounament every 3 years or so....I guess we'll have to be patient with the little romar bros across the state.

MississppiZag
03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Would you rather be 3 spots better in Adjusted Defense(whatever that means) or 98 spots better in FG%?

The adjusted defensive category is made up by a random guy, and taken into account by no one. People don't use this when comparing two defenses. They use FG% and Points Allowed, two categories the Zags are far superior in than the Huskies.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Mississippi,

You are wrong. Adjusted defense uses those statistics, but also "adjusts" for competition and possessions per game.

Morons might prefer to use raw data like FG% and points per game. But more astute fans and analysts know that adjusted stats are far better predictors of future performance. It's more than "one man's" opinion; Ken Pomeroy is the best in the business at designing statistics that eliminate a lot of the "noise" that show up in raw, unadjusted statistics.

The proof is in the pudding. No team has made the final four in the past seven or eight years without ranking in KenPom's top 25 for adjusted defensive efficiency. You won't find such strong predictive performances by using unadjusted numbers.

Bottom line: Gonzaga and UW have both been among the best defensive teams in the nation this year.

Reborn
03-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd like to see 4 teams out in the West. #3 UW, #4 Gonzaga, #5 UCLA, and #6 Arizona St. Two of these teams could go to Portland and two to Boise. We could also see UW at #3 and Gonzaga at #6. I'm thinking we're going to be playing either UW or UCLA in the second round.

MDABE80
03-06-2009, 10:35 PM
ken pom->
no 8 Zags
no 14 UW

Well........?