PDA

View Full Version : Another potential Canadian recruit

thespywhozaggedme
03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=74516&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d745 16%26season%3d2011

Apparently this guy is kind of under the radar because he isn't from Toronto, or Montreal or Vancouver; he's from a suburb of Ottawa apparently. He's only going to be an 11th grader and he's supposedly grown another inch to 6'8. ESPN says that if he were American he'd already be top 50 for his class. Another major "under the radar guy" before the BCS schools find out about him.

Kiddwell
03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Spy uncovers another Canadian gem!

If Khem Burch (potentially cool name) gets his head turned Zagville's way with a good showing next year by the Zags' Canadian newcomers, not to mention this year's and next year's NCAA Tournaments, well, that could bode well for his Northwest recruitment.

Anybody know whether Few & Co. are aware of Burch?

:]

CB4
03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
It's awesome to see Gonzaga claiming Canadian territory recruiting wise. There are a lot of diamonds in the rough up here. KHQ is available throughout southern BC and Alberta, all the way up to Edmonton, so I wonder if that, along with the limited coverage of college basketball on cable in Canada, seems to benefit the zags recruiting wise.

That being said, I'd love to see UBC gain there D1 status within the next five years and make a bid with SU to join the WCC. I think it'd be hard to turn down considering both schools' academic standing and location.

Edit: in order to keep Canadian athletes in Canada and help develop our brutal Olympic national basketball program.

OZZag
03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Khem is one of many very talented 2011 Canadian players, and is currently ranked one behind SKSS's David Wagner by Barry Hayes' Hoopstars site. The three players ranked ahead of David all play in the USA already. I wouldn't be suprised if NEDA try and snare him or David (or both) as 9 players are leaving NEDA this year. He may also get a shot at the U16 Canadian team that wil be playing in Argentina at the FIBA Americas U16 tournament.

Angelo Roncalli
03-04-2009, 05:31 AM
It's awesome to see Gonzaga claiming Canadian territory recruiting wise. There are a lot of diamonds in the rough up here. KHQ is available throughout southern BC and Alberta, all the way up to Edmonton, so I wonder if that, along with the limited coverage of college basketball on cable in Canada, seems to benefit the zags recruiting wise.

That being said, I'd love to see UBC gain there D1 status within the next five years and make a bid with SU to join the WCC. I think it'd be hard to turn down considering both schools' academic standing and location.

Edit: in order to keep Canadian athletes in Canada and help develop our brutal Olympic national basketball program.

I think UBC has designs on joining a conference that plays football. I think they'd be a likely candidate for the WAC.

cjm720
03-04-2009, 06:35 AM
That was the worst evaluation I've ever read for someone rated in the 90s. You'd think ESPN would include more positives than negatives in its report.

I guess he'll be fun to follow.

GO ZAGS!!

Mr Vulture
03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
I am guessing that SU is Seattle University? Who is UBC though?

CB4
03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I think UBC has designs on joining a conference that plays football. I think they'd be a likely candidate for the WAC.

From what I hear they have no intent of playing D1 football, they want to keep there football program in the CIS. Football doesn't draw in Canada, no matter who they play, and they could never make ends meet.

Just A Zag
03-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I am guessing that SU is Seattle University? Who is UBC though?

University of British Columbia...thats my guess

xjzico
03-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I think UBC has designs on joining a conference that plays football. I think they'd be a likely candidate for the WAC.Considering UBC's stature they'd make for a Pac10 school down the road.

webspinnre
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Isn't UBC huge? I can't imagine them playing in a small school conference like the WCC.

guballer
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Class of 2009 (Prospects - All Positions - CAN - All Statuses)
NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL RANK GRADE STATUS SCHOOL NOTES
Junior Cadougan PG 6'2" 220 Christian Life Center Academy (TX) PG #9 92 Signed Marquette
Richard Armardi PF 6'8" 210 God's Academy (TX) PF #59 88 Undeclared View Schools
Mangisto Arop SG 6'6" 185 National Elite Development Academy (CAN) SG #54 88 Signed Gonzaga
Dwayne Smith SG 6'6" 185 Bridgton Academy (ME) POST 86 Verbal George Washington
Jason Calliste SG 6'3" 175 Quality Education Academy (NC) SG #139 81 Verbal Detroit
Niko Cochran PG 6'2" 175 Champlain- St. Lambert (CAN) PG #109 79 Signed Davidson
Jon Tull SG 6'4" Pickering H.S. (CAN) SG #165 78 Undeclared View Schools
Murphy Burnatowski SF 6'6" National Elite Development Academy (CAN) SF #149 76 Undeclared View Schools
Tristan Tremblay PF 6'7" Champlain St. Lambert (CAN) PF #183 76 Undeclared View Schools
Mike Allison PF 6'9" National Elite Development Academy (CAN) PF #195 75 Undeclared View Schools
Kendall Hosten PG 6'1" 155 Christian Life Center Academy (TX) PG #147 74 Undeclared View Schools
Alwayne Bigby SG 6'5" 195 Eastern Commerce (CAN) SG #215 73 Undeclared View Schools
Rob Gagliardi PG 6'2" Notre Dame Catholic Secondary School (CAN) PG #152 73 Undeclared View Schools
Jonathan Besserer-Lemay PF 6'10" 205 Champlain- St. Lambert (CAN) 40 Undeclared View Schools
Jeff Cumming PG 6'1" 175 Champlain- St. Lambert (CAN) 40 Undeclared View Schools
Scott Laws SG 6'4" 40 Undeclared View Schools
Tristan Renaud-Tremblay PF 6'7" 240 Champlain- St. Lambert (CAN) 40 Undeclared View Schools
Tyrone Watson SF 6'5" 40 Undeclared View Schools

OZZag
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Class of 2009 (Prospects - All Positions - CAN - All Statuses)
NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL RANK GRADE STATUS SCHOOL NOTES
Junior Cadougan PG 6'2" 220 Christian Life Center Academy (TX) PG #9 92 Signed Marquette
Richard Armardi PF 6'8" 210 God's Academy (TX) PF #59 88 Undeclared View Schools
Mangisto Arop SG 6'6" 185 National Elite Development Academy (CAN) SG #54 88 Signed Gonzaga
Dwayne Smith SG 6'6" 185 Bridgton Academy (ME) POST 86 Verbal George Washington
Jason Calliste SG 6'3" 175 Quality Education Academy (NC) SG #139 81 Verbal Detroit
Niko Cochran PG 6'2" 175 Champlain- St. Lambert (CAN) PG #109 79 Signed Davidson
Jon Tull SG 6'4" Pickering H.S. (CAN) SG #165 78 Undeclared View Schools
Murphy Burnatowski SF 6'6" National Elite Development Academy (CAN) SF #149 76 Undeclared View Schools
Tristan Tremblay PF 6'7" Champlain St. Lambert (CAN) PF #183 76 Undeclared View Schools
Mike Allison PF 6'9" National Elite Development Academy (CAN) PF #195 75 Undeclared View Schools
Kendall Hosten PG 6'1" 155 Christian Life Center Academy (TX) PG #147 74 Undeclared View Schools
Alwayne Bigby SG 6'5" 195 Eastern Commerce (CAN) SG #215 73 Undeclared View Schools
Rob Gagliardi PG 6'2" Notre Dame Catholic Secondary School (CAN) PG #152 73 Undeclared View Schools
Jonathan Besserer-Lemay PF 6'10" 205 Champlain- St. Lambert (CAN) 40 Undeclared View Schools
Jeff Cumming PG 6'1" 175 Champlain- St. Lambert (CAN) 40 Undeclared View Schools
Scott Laws SG 6'4" 40 Undeclared View Schools
Tristan Renaud-Tremblay PF 6'7" 240 Champlain- St. Lambert (CAN) 40 Undeclared View Schools
Tyrone Watson SF 6'5" 40 Undeclared View Schools

Are found at Hoopstars Canada, a service run by Barry Hayes.

http://www.hoopstarscanada.com/index.pl

The information above, while it shows ratings doesn't even list Kelly Olynyk, who is a consensus top five player in Canada for the 2009 class. Accuracy is also a bit of a concern as Tyrone Watson is actually already playing D1, and several of the players listed as undecided have already committed to D1 schools.

Zag 77
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Just a small voice here suggesting that maybe we don't go overboard on Canada as a source of great D-I players. I am still remebering that P-MAC was supposed to be the Second Coming, and well, he wasn't. Let us see how Sacre, Olynyk, Kong and Arop do.

Maybe we should put a little more effort into Australia. St. Mary's has gotten some good material there, as has Wazzu. We also had good luck with Dench and Rillie.

spudzag
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Isn't UBC huge? I can't imagine them playing in a small school conference like the WCC.

UBC (University of British Columbia) is about the same size as UW.

webspinnre
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
That was what I thought - they always dominated us in Ultimate Frisbee, and when we played in a tourney there, they had quite a campus.

So, a definite no go on them being a WCC school.

CB4
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
There athletic budget this year for all sports is $4 mil CDN. They will obviously have to expand it for the NCAA but the Pac 10 is out of the question for a long time. Big school, small budget.

xjzico
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Seem to remember playing a UBC squad once in a exhibition game and thinking they were about NAIA level. But their academic profile is Pac10 or public ivy.

BobZag
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Spy uncovers another Canadian gem!

If Khem Burch (potentially cool name) gets his head turned Zagville's way with a good showing next year by the Zags' Canadian newcomers, not to mention this year's and next year's NCAA Tournaments, well, that could bode well for his Northwest recruitment.

Anybody know whether Few & Co. are aware of Burch?

:]

They are.

ronh_pm
03-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Not to de-rail the thread but here are some recent UBC/NCAA results

01/09/07 UBC 62 Oklahoma 81
02/09/07 UBC 67 Air Force 97
03/09/07 UBC 106 Boise State 86
08/23/08 UBC 77 San Franciso State 62
08/30/08 UBC 65 Tulsa 76
08/31/08 UBC 99 Cal State Fullerton 81

CanadianZagFan
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Not to de-rail the thread but here are some recent UBC/NCAA results

01/09/07 UBC 62 Oklahoma 81
02/09/07 UBC 67 Air Force 97
03/09/07 UBC 106 Boise State 86
08/23/08 UBC 77 San Franciso State 62
08/30/08 UBC 65 Tulsa 76
08/31/08 UBC 99 Cal State Fullerton 81

I don't put much stock into these early tune-up games for the NCAA schools.....if UBC played those teams mid-season it more than likely be all losses.

nonzagzag
03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I went to UBC and played a varsity sport there. Yes it is a huge university but very little attention is payed to sports. I can't see why they would want to join any US conference.
They are not really a good match for any particular conference down here because in football and b-ball they would be crushed by any team, while in other sports which aren't played as much they would be among the best in the nation down here.

Angelo Roncalli
03-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Just a small voice here suggesting that maybe we don't go overboard on Canada as a source of great D-I players. I am still remebering that P-MAC was supposed to be the Second Coming, and well, he wasn't. Let us see how Sacre, Olynyk, Kong and Arop do.

Maybe we should put a little more effort into Australia. St. Mary's has gotten some good material there, as has Wazzu. We also had good luck with Dench and Rillie.

Population of Australia: about 22 million
Population of Canada: about 33 million

Psychozag
03-04-2009, 09:11 PM

Steve Nash turned out all right for Santa Clara. You never know where talent is going to come from.

CB4
03-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I went to UBC and played a varsity sport there. Yes it is a huge university but very little attention is payed to sports. I can't see why they would want to join any US conference.
They are not really a good match for any particular conference down here because in football and b-ball they would be crushed by any team, while in other sports which aren't played as much they would be among the best in the nation down here.

The Zags will have four Canadians on their roster next year. Those players would be with UBC if they were in the NCAA. There is a lot of Canadian basketball talent in Canada, it's just scattered about the NCAA.

Zag 77
03-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I realize that Canada has a bigger population than Australia, as you point out. However, I think the relative ratio is better in Australia versus Canada when you set it up as a proportion of athletes playing hockey/curling as to basketball. Not too many Aussies freezing their butts off in cold ice rinks. Australia is a sports-crazy country and they seem to have a more dependable and proven youth basketball scene than Canada, generally speaking. I think many of us wonder how much stock we can place in Canadian HS basketball stats.

I am willing to keep an open mind, but so far I think Australia ranks better lately than Canada. With a bunch of guys from the Great White North here next year, we are about to find out.

OZZag
03-05-2009, 02:21 PM
There are over 75 Canadian players listed on D1 teams this year. Of these about 20 are starters, and about 3 are leading scorers on their teams. While none are currently playing at the same level as Patty Mills, Luke Neville or A.J. Ogilvy, there are some who could come close to them by their senior year(Harouna Mutombo, Devoe Joseph and Kris Joseph and our own Canadian playres are examples).

Basketball in high schools in Australia is a hit and miss affair, not nearly as organised as North America. Players are normally developed in the club system, and like most sports in Australia, talent is identified early and channeled normally through the Australian Institite of Sport (AIS). Some players do not go this route (Kelly Bowen on the Zags women's team is an example).

In my experience, having lived in both countries, Australians are truly more sports crazy than Canadians, and because of the climate, they participate in more than one sport per year. For example, many Baketball players also play Aussie Rules Football which involves a lot of running an leaping, this is played the opposite time of year than basketball.

thespywhozaggedme
03-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I realize that Canada has a bigger population than Australia, as you point out. However, I think the relative ratio is better in Australia versus Canada when you set it up as a proportion of athletes playing hockey/curling as to basketball. Not too many Aussies freezing their butts off in cold ice rinks. Australia is a sports-crazy country and they seem to have a more dependable and proven youth basketball scene than Canada, generally speaking. I think many of us wonder how much stock we can place in Canadian HS basketball stats.

I am willing to keep an open mind, but so far I think Australia ranks better lately than Canada. With a bunch of guys from the Great White North here next year, we are about to find out.

Canadians currently in the NBA: 4

Australians currently in the NBA: 2

CB4
03-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Canadians currently in the NBA: 4

Australians currently in the NBA: 2

That really doesn't mean a whole lot. The Australians are far superior than us up in Canada when it comes to sports. Look at their success the summer Olympics. Fact is, if it ain't hockey, Canadians don't support it.

skan72
03-06-2009, 04:33 AM

I would like to point out that P-Mac was playing at a CEGEP school in Quebec, which means he was probably already graduated high school and got two more years in Quebec's system. Yet, was still a freshman when coming to Gonzaga, that's just how CEGEP works and others have done it. He was around 20, and his upside would have been diminished slightly because of this, on top of that he just never seemed to have that killer instinct/go get 'em attitude.