PDA

View Full Version : Players Families

realtydog
03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I think it is great when family comes from around the country to watch the last home game----just because I am curious--does GU or a booster pay for the trip??? can they???

MDABE80
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Dunno.....It would be a nice donation though.......if it's legal per NCAA.

GonzagaGurl08
03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Agreed, it would be a nice gesture. What family members were in attendance for the Seniors??

CDC84
03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Pargo's mom, grandma, sister and some nieces were there. It was the first time his mom got to see him play in Spokane. The only other time she was able to come to Spokane was Jeremy's first day of school. Downs' grandma and old high school conditioning coach were there. Many of the Heytvelt clan were there.....being the locals that they are........

realtydog
03-04-2009, 07:26 AM
I would like to think they would

xjzico
03-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Most likely no. I don't think parents are allowed to receive gifts or special discounts. If I recall, the general NCAA policy is no student athlete or athletes family may receive anything that wouldn't also be available to the general student body.

gamagin
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
since every school in the country has sr. night, i would suggest the school pays for their trip, hotel and whatever is pre approved.

It only makes sense.

The ncaa would have nothing particular to protest since it involves someone already recruited, out of eligibility and at the end of his career.

former1dog
03-04-2009, 08:02 AM
since every school in the country has sr. night, i would suggest the school pays for their trip, hotel and whatever is pre approved.

It only makes sense.

The ncaa would have nothing particular to protest since it involves someone already recruited, out of eligibility and at the end of his career.

Hmm, you could be correct, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter. Providing all of that for a players family could be consider compensation and players cannot be compensated outside their scholarship and per diem while traveling.

xjzico
03-04-2009, 08:16 AM
It's a nice gesture, but I think it would only be viewed as an inducement and would provide a lot of schools with a competitive advantage in the recruitment of student athletes.

CDC84
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
The ncaa would have nothing particular to protest since it involves someone already recruited, out of eligibility and at the end of his career

Not true.

There are rules against "representatives of athletic interest" giving "gifts" to a player whose eligibility has expired. For example, a Gonzaga booster can't give a cash reward or some other "extra benefit" to Jeff Brown or John Stockton, even though they stopped playing for Gonzaga years ago.

An example of such misconduct was when Kansas got in hot water back in 2005 due to Roy Williams' approval of alumni graduation gifts that were being given to KU players whose eligibility had expired. See the section called "Kansas NCAA Violation" at the link below:

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Roy_Williams

As Williams aptly put it: "I did not know the rule that, 'Once you are a student-athlete, you are a student-athlete until death".......

gamagin
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
the NCAA created God.

tyra
03-04-2009, 08:47 AM
The PLayer of the Game's Mom and Dad were there last night and shown on TV. Good work, local production crew!

bulldog89
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Ira's parents were in attendence too!

SWZag
03-04-2009, 05:37 PM

It only makes sense.

It could be an incentive for a kid to go to a certain school, knowing that in the past the school has given graduates money. That would be looked at the same if a kid would receive money during his time at the school, all incentives to come to that school.