PDA

View Full Version : Kennel Club-what is the deal???

zagmantis2001
03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Five seniors for the last home game and one whole section of the students don'[t even bother to show up????????

st. al
03-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Five seniors for the last home game and one whole section of the students don'[t even bother to show up????????

It's midterm week, and there was plenty of "who the hell is usc upstate?"

Zaghuatanejo
03-03-2009, 07:53 PM

So

MedZag
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
there was plenty of "who the hell is usc upstate?"

Wow.

Now I do feel old.

st. al
03-03-2009, 08:11 PM
So

The question was asked, I answered.

I was in the sixth row. Don't blame me :o

zag944
03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
i typically avoid these topics because no matter how great the KC is one of these topics pops up every third game.

That, however, was pathetic. Especially for a senior night.

GonzagaGurl08
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I agree, the KC could have shown up in support of the seniors. BTW, a 2 hour study break is always good.

bullzag23
03-03-2009, 08:37 PM
A grad student, I had a midterm tonight at 5:30, and the professor teaches after tests until 8PM. I would have loved to have been there.

kclubfounder
03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Mid term week is a weak reason. A 2 hour break from studying is a good thing. And I'll tell you who the Hell USC Upstate is. They are the final home court opponent for 5 seniors.

I know you aren't personally to blame st. al, but your fellow 2009 students sure are to blame.

I think you are probably right on with your reason. And that reason is unacceptable.

TM27
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
A little off topic...but can someone who was in attendance comment on the atmosphere...because on TV that was the weakest senior night I have seen. But my viewpoint this time was one from 500 miles away, so maybe I missed a lot. When josh went out I could still hear the squeek from the sneakers on the court...that my friends is quiet, and really disapointing....but maybe the whole night was much better??? I would love to hear?

CB4
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I commend the Kennel Club. They have been pretty good this year. I mean sure, it was senior night and it is a big event for most of the passionate fans that post on here, as well as the students that were in attendance, but when it come down to it the students that weren't there would much rather prepare for a mid term than watch USC Upstate.

And yeah, it's only a two hour study break but I know that when I was in college, game night usually consisted of pre and post game activities, paired with a nice snooze through morning class. It would have been nice to see a packed house as loud as the WSU game, but we have to be realistic as well.

2011Zag
03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I would say the atmosphere was a little crazier than the LMU or Pepp game just because it was senior night.

For fans and alums that complain about students not coming our not being as loud as they think they should be I understand where you're coming from but you really have to consider a few things first.

1. It is Mid Terms week and you can say whatever you want about a 2 hour study break but Tuesdays and Thursdays are days when most night classes take place. I know a large percentage of students that couldn't attend because they had class and an exam so they had to skip the game.

2. No matter how "pathetic" it may sound to older people or people that don't attend every game, the caliber of the opponent DOES matter. It's pretty difficult to stay loud and wild while the team is up by 40 points. Not only are the KC not as into it as the SMC or Wazzu game but the rest of the stadium is the same way.

During the fun moments tonight the stadium was very loud and the atmosphere was great. There might have been a few open seats (I did't really look behind me because I was sitting up front) but I didn't notice much of a difference.

Last thought:
Judge the KC on the big games (that we get to attend, cough Memphis) not the games we win by 50. If people want deafening roars all the time then the first and most important step is to have a decent home schedule.

To date GU played THREE games in McCarthey against teams with records over .500. Three out of twelve. Its tough to get excited about that.

sittingon50
03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
you used the word "embarrassing" in a post about Jeremy Pargo. Whiff.

Embarrassing was what was demonstrated tonight by the KC. These 5 guys have put in how many hundred's of hours for Zag BB? And many students can't cough up 2 hrs.? I guess I would have to lump them in with the show up once fans at SCU & throw things. Totally clueless.

Roscoe, where are you?

CB4
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM
you used the word "embarrassing" in a post about Jeremy Pargo. Whiff.

Embarrassing was what was demonstrated tonight by the KC. These 5 guys have put in how many hundred's of hours for Zag BB? And many students can't cough up 2 hrs.? I guess I would have to lump them in with the show up once fans at SCU & throw things. Totally clueless.

Roscoe, where are you?

We can go at this again if you really want to and I will still have my views on his season, as will you. Maybe a number of you have personal relationships with JP, and if I offended you, please note that was not my intent, but I will not apologize for the way I view players or the game.

And give me a break, the kids pay near $30,000 for academics, not for season tickets.

Zag79
03-03-2009, 11:52 PM
CB4 you dont need to go over anything other than this regarding Pargo. He is 2nd ALL TIME in steals at GU. 3rd ALL TIME in assists at GU, ahead of stockton, dickau, you name em. Top 15 ALL TIME in scoring at GU. He has raised his assist to TO ratio each and every year at GU. the only reason his scoring is down this season is obvoius, coach needs him to run the offense and pass. be thankful jeremy is so willing to do it or this team would be in a much worse off place. give it a rest. back on topic, i thought the KC was pretty good tonight. i attend every game at K2, and this was far from a bad game for the KC. it was fun, loud, and a very enjoyable tuesday night game to send the fantastic seniors off with!

Areyoukiddingme
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM

Don't forget about pub trivia night at the Blue Spark.

4AmericasTeam
03-04-2009, 05:41 AM
I was there and thought the KC did a nice job -- not anything to write home about, but nice. They were way better than the rest of the crowd, especially during the Heytvelt and Pargo exits. I was thinking to myself "message to whine and cheese club, Few just took these guys out for the last time -- this is when you cheer loud ;) ."

23dpg
03-04-2009, 06:33 AM
I was there and thought the KC did a nice job -- not anything to write home about, but nice. They were way better than the rest of the crowd, especially during the Heytvelt and Pargo exits. I was thinking to myself "message to whine and cheese club, Few just took these guys out for the last time -- this is when you cheer loud ;) ."

I have a theory about this. Josh and Jeremy went out with so much time left in the game, it wasn't clear to me that this was their final exit. It look like just another substitution.

cjm720
03-04-2009, 06:42 AM
A grad student, I had a midterm tonight at 5:30, and the professor teaches after tests until 8PM. I would have loved to have been there.

What a cruel professor!

gamagin
03-04-2009, 06:52 AM
the players had a great time. and so did their guests. and so did the crowd. and so did the K2.

I know I did.

But, as stated above, it wasn't about the game, but the seniors, and the atmosphere and the warmth and the thanks were perfectly appropriate, imo, to the moment.

Go Zags !

ZagnetitForce
03-04-2009, 07:30 AM
I have a theory about this. Josh and Jeremy went out with so much time left in the game, it wasn't clear to me that this was their final exit. It look like just another substitution.

That is exactly correct 23! There was still 7 minutes in the game when Josh went out I believe. I was watching sitting there and thinking oh he'll be back, then he untucked his jersey and I knew it was it, so I stood and applauded and many others did at tha point as well.

The KC and the crowd were great!

Gufan
03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
"2. No matter how "pathetic" it may sound to older people or people that don't attend every game, the caliber of the opponent DOES matter. It's pretty difficult to stay loud and wild while the team is up by 40 points."

It's funny, the TEAM obviously doesn't feel the same way, as they were cheering their hearts out with that same 40 point lead.

Reborn
03-04-2009, 07:48 AM
the players had a great time. and so did their guests. and so did the crowd. and so did the K2.

I know I did.

But, as stated above, it wasn't about the game, but the seniors, and the atmosphere and the warmth and the thanks were perfectly appropriate, imo, to the moment.

Go Zags !

Thanks for your positive insight. I feel the same way. I wasn't there. As usual I was at home watching the game on TV. I totally enjoyed the game, and thought the KC was really good. The Zags were killing USC-U, and we all know as fans, that it's tough to stay in a game when your team is just tearing a team apart. Sorenson really helped to keep the fans involved. Otherwise, it could have been pretty quiet in the K2. Guys like Sorenson, Big Will, Ira and Austin have kept the fans in "blow outs" all year. These fans love our subs, and they (KC) should be given some credit.

I want to give a shout out to the Kennel Club and say how much I appreciate all you did for OUR Zags this year. I agree with 2011Zag that our coaching staff could definitely give the fans some better games. This has been mentioned before. I think the fans are getting irritated by the level of competition the staff is bringing to K2. I hope Few hears this plea. IT'S TIME TO CHANGE. The whole world right now is talking about change. So, please Coach Few, please, please begin to bring teams to K2 that will be more fun to watch. I'm not talking about the Big Name schools because we know they will not come. And yet at the same time I am saying give the fans more than Idaho, Cal State Riverside, Montana, USC-U. There are teams that will come, ie, Utah, Oklahoma, Virginia, St. Joe's. I know this might require more time and more work, but maybe it's time to do something good for the fans too. The fans DO deserve a couple more quality games during the season.

zagmantis2001
03-04-2009, 08:05 AM
It's even harder to be loud and cheer for the seniors when you don't bother showing up for the games. A two hour break from studying never killed anybody. Time management.

229SintoZag
03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
If it is true that the Kennel Club looked at the schedule, asked themselves "Who the hell is USC Upstate," answered the question for themselves, and elected not to participate in the charade, good for them.

Perhaps the staff will get the message that fans aren't amused if the KC does something similar for CSU-Bakersfield.

I am all for thanking the seniors. They deserve it.

But expecting intelligent basketball fans to show up and act like this was a legit game is an insult to their intelligence. It was a fun little scrimmage stunt, and it provided a venue for us to send the seniors off, but really nothing more.

I had tix to last night's game. I could not go, nor did any of the friends I know in Spokane want my tickets. It is the first time this has happened. Not a good development.

bullzag23
03-04-2009, 08:57 AM
What a cruel professor!

Oh believe me, this was not a popular decision. I would have skipped class any day of the week to be at a game, but not for a test.....the worst is how he tries to teach after an exam for the rest of the class period. Is there anyone in the class that is even paying attention to what you're saying immediately after you just gave an exam? Probably not.

But anyways, back on the topic, I have been to quite a few home games this year in K2. From what my roommates and I have observed, the student section this year has just not been up to par this year compared to years past. Just about every game I've been to at the Mac, at or before halftime(HALFTIME!!!!) I have seen entire rows clear out and not return for the 2nd half. I don't care if we're winning by 30 at the break, that is inexcusable as a student section, the main fan support of the team, to just up and leave like you don't give a damn about what happens in the 2nd half. This has happened more often than not, and not just for midterm week. Hell, just a few years ago when I was an undergrad, nobody left at halftime, regardless of the score. This has really been the most shocking observation of the season for me, IMHO.

For those that leave early: I always loved staying for the blowouts. How often do you get to chant "Up by 40!!!" or "Up by 50" or, my favorite "Triple Digits!!!!!"

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Midterms and the MPRE on Saturday. Sorry. School is the top priority, no matter how much I wish it wasn't. Would have LOVED to have been there!

LongIslandZagFan
03-04-2009, 09:01 AM

Two words... Senior Night. End of discussion.

bullzag23
03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
It's midterm week, and there was plenty of "who the hell is usc upstate?".

A few years ago that would have been: "Who the hell cares who we're playing? Let's go!"

HillBillyZag
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Oh, how far we have come from our roots. This elitist attitude and disdain for opponents is out of character for what GU stands for. The kids from SC-UPSTATE are in their second season of Div.1 hoops and to help their program and their school they have gone along with being a sacrificial lamb on the home floors of several superior opponents. They had several nice players and they never packed it in and gave up but kept attacking the entire game. I noticed in the post game line hugs and kind words given to many of their players by the Zags. It has not been all that long ago that GU was out-gunned & mahandled regularly by the opposition. You younger fans had better always remember from whence we sprung. We are NOT Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, or any other blueblood program. WE ARE GONZAGA!!

Zagman503
03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I was there for my last game ever as well. The atmosphere was exactly what it should be for a "scrimmage" that sent off the seniors. Some people on this board get on the students for not being into the games and then show up 5 minutes late from halftime because they were at the beer garden. It frustrates me to hear people get on the students for missing a game at 6 on a Tuesday during midterm week. Maybe the school is a little different than it used to be, but people have to study for tests during this week, others had community service commitments that prevented them from attending the game. And for a 40 point blowout against one of the worst teams I have seen come into the Kennel (This includes some of the NAIA schools that have come through), the KC did a great job. We were there to show our appreciation to the seniors that have changed this program. It was fun watching Andrew fill it up, Josh out rebound a 7'3" kid, IRA playing great defense on the same giant, Micah launching 3's from all over the building and Pargo getting hot from behind the line (even if it was for a 30 second span). I stayed in the arena for 45 minutes after the game just soaking it in. So before you get on a student section for not showing up to a scrimmage, remember that there were many passionate fans that were watching their last game ever as a student and it was a very emotional night.

LongIslandZagFan
03-04-2009, 09:09 AM
In the end this was a scheduled SENIOR NIGHT. Who cares who they were playing. Everyone, including the KC knew this was SENIOR NIGHT.

st. al
03-04-2009, 09:17 AM
I was there for my last game ever as well. The atmosphere was exactly what it should be for a "scrimmage" that sent off the seniors. Some people on this board get on the students for not being into the games and then show up 5 minutes late from halftime because they were at the beer garden. It frustrates me to hear people get on the students for missing a game at 6 on a Tuesday during midterm week. Maybe the school is a little different than it used to be, but people have to study for tests during this week, others had community service commitments that prevented them from attending the game. And for a 40 point blowout against one of the worst teams I have seen come into the Kennel (This includes some of the NAIA schools that have come through), the KC did a great job. We were there to show our appreciation to the seniors that have changed this program. It was fun watching Andrew fill it up, Josh out rebound a 7'3" kid, IRA playing great defense on the same giant, Micah launching 3's from all over the building and Pargo getting hot from behind the line (even if it was for a 30 second span). I stayed in the arena for 45 minutes after the game just soaking it in. So before you get on a student section for not showing up to a scrimmage, remember that there were many passionate fans that were watching their last game ever as a student and it was a very emotional night.

word

Gufan
03-04-2009, 09:18 AM
But expecting intelligent basketball fans to show up and act like this was a legit game is an insult to their intelligence. It was a fun little scrimmage stunt, and it provided a venue for us to send the seniors off, but really nothing more.
Not a good development.

I assume this game was not scheduled as a legit game, nor was it scheduled to insult the intelligence of the fans. I could be off on this, but wasn't last night called SENIOR night? That gives me the impression that the fans should be there to support the young men that played their hearts out for all us "fans" over the past 4-5 years of their lives.

I find it very disrespectful that fans would overlook this very important moment to make one night about the players rather than the fans. Every night is fan night, it is not too much to ask for one night to show your appreciation for all they have done for us. Thanks Seniors!

Once and Future Zag
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
To repeat the refrain.

Senior night.

I respect people having to go to finals. Choosing to disrespect the seniors just because of the opponent?

Per Kenpom they are "ranked" 295th, 2 spots ahead of Pepperdine and 27 spots higher than LMU.

If you're going to make the excuse this game is a farce, then please justify showing up to LMU or Pepperdine - even BIGGER "farces"?

bulldog89
03-04-2009, 09:51 AM
And how many of those commenting are the parents of the GU students that pay for the education...We all love our Zags basketball but we need to remember that the 1st priority for these students should be their education.

bullzag23
03-04-2009, 09:54 AM

As others have pointed out, this was SENIOR NIGHT. Also, if this game is considered a 'scrimmage', what do you consider Pepperdine and LMU?

RenoZag
03-04-2009, 09:59 AM
:horse:

Pargo the Destroyer
03-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Everyone needs to relax. It is what it is. Im sure those who couldnt be there ( students ) had good reason. And your not gonna get much out of the old farts anyways no matter who they play. Good job KC this year!

sittingon50
03-04-2009, 10:11 AM
What is enrollment now? How many seats set aside for students? How many Sr. nights per year does one team normally host? How long has Sr. Night been scheduled?

An entire section was sold to the general public because of lack of interest from the students (in general). Whiff (well, it is baseball season).

Again I ask; Roscoe, where are you?

229SintoZag
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I assume this game was not scheduled as a legit game, nor was it scheduled to insult the intelligence of the fans. I could be off on this, but wasn't last night called SENIOR night? That gives me the impression that the fans should be there to support the young men that played their hearts out for all us "fans" over the past 4-5 years of their lives.

I find it very disrespectful that fans would overlook this very important moment to make one night about the players rather than the fans. Every night is fan night, it is not too much to ask for one night to show your appreciation for all they have done for us. Thanks Seniors!

You left out the part of my post where I said I agree with the sentiment as to this being senior night.

I agree we need to thank these seniors. I would prefer we do so in a better atmostphere and against at least one of our conference opponents. This is how we did senior night forever and always before the last couple of years and it worked out fine. We do not need Northern Colorado, USC Upstate, or CSU-Bakersfield.

Has anyone figured out what our RPI hit was just from playing this one game alone?

Angelo Roncalli
03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
You left out the part of my post where I said I agree with the sentiment as to this being senior night.

I agree we need to thank these seniors. I would prefer we do so in a better atmostphere and against at least one of our conference opponents. This is how we did senior night forever and always before the last couple of years and it worked out fine. We do not need Northern Colorado, USC Upstate, or CSU-Bakersfield.

Has anyone figured out what our RPI hit was just from playing this one game alone?

We dropped one spot to #36 according to Jerry Palm.

bullzag23
03-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Per ESPN insider, our RPI remained steady at 34. Those who were proclaiming doom to our RPI can rest at ease now.

Edit: Posted this after Angelo posted the Jerry Palm data. 36 does seem more believable than 34, not sure why ESPN has it listed differently. Texas is currently listed at 36 in ESPN's table.

FlagZag
03-04-2009, 10:35 AM
First our players and coach get a big "DIS" from the WCC Awards and now 5 seniors walk off MAC for the last time to polite, very polite, applause. Josh and JP alone deserved a 5 minute standing O. We will make up for this oversight in Vegas. We WILL be loud, VERY loud. (To be fair the KC showed up big time for Memphis but at least a couple of our seniors did not). We have the best players and the best fans. On to Vegas and fun for all.

229SintoZag
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
CBS has us at RPI 40, after being 34 yesterday.

I don't understand why all these RPI sites have different numbers. I mean--isn't it just math?

bullzag23
03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
CBS has us at RPI 40, after being 34 yesterday.

I don't understand why all these RPI sites have different numbers. I mean--isn't it just math?

You'd think so, it doesn't really make sense to me either. I could swear last week when I looked at ESPN and Jerry Palm's numbers they matched up.

lothar98zag
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
:horse:
true