PDA

View Full Version : Could USC-U be just what the Doctor ordered?

BobZag
03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
90-40.

Seniors having fun. Everyone just having fun. Smiles and laughs galore. It was like "It's a Wonderful Life" or some other "feel good" movie. Let the emotions go, just let it all hang loose and play.

Could this be the magic elixer that sets this team on a roll and on a journey?

It kinda feels like it to me.

Thoughts?

MedZag
03-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Loved the throwback warmups. It may be the koolaid chugger in me, but that's the exact sort of tribute and message at the exact sort of moment I wanted to see from this team.

It really looks like our seniors are hungry.

rennis
03-03-2009, 07:26 PM
^ Hunger baby. Loose, fun, hungry kids. Nothing better...

johnwzag
03-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Time will tell. It was good for everyones soul no-doubt.

FuManShoes
03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Not sure I buy into it. I think this time of year, teams need to stay focused and shore things up. Fun's fun but this game offered no challenge other than not laughing too hard. I imagine the WCC tournament will offer some greater challenges but ultimately the Zags just need to get hot, play smart and start hitting some threes. Steven, we need you!

MDABE80
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Fun game to watch for us. I smiled a lot. Seniors.....well. I always have trouble thinking we won't be seeing those kids on TV again with a Zag purpose in mind. Just a loosey goosy group for just one night. Fun stuff. It might be a game like this that makes the kids realize just how close they are. "Team" begins with that feeling.

Reborn
03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
90-40.

Seniors having fun. Everyone just having fun. Smiles and laughs galore. It was like "It's a Wonderful Life" or some other "feel good" movie. Let the emotions go, just let it all hang loose and play.

Thoughts?

I had these same thoughts tonight as I'm watching the game again. There was something special about this game. You can just feel it.

murph
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
This win is HUGE!!!! Assuming the "Up" in USC Upstate means they are somewhere in northern South Carolina, near the state of North Carolina, meaning the Zags just beat "University of Almost North Carolina." Anytime you beat North Carolina (or anything in and or around NC)is just sounds better.:)

JohnOGU
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I said the EXACT same thing after that game. We look like we're having fun again out there. Exactly what we needed. I see good things in the future.

Vegas is going to be a riot. I dont think Few realizes how many students are going down. nearly the entire senior class, i'd say. That should give us some energy.

Zag79
03-03-2009, 11:45 PM
i have stated from day one, continuing through the struggles and into tonight that this team will make a run we can be proud of come march. i think the team has realized they play better when they stop thinking and just play. fun times tonight in K2 for all of us, players included. to march!

ZagNative
03-04-2009, 06:20 AM
90-40.

Thoughts?Having fun? I think so!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Sorenson/2009-03-03ChrisPontorola-MaagSouthC.jpg
"Gonzaga seniors Andrew Sorenson (11), Ira Brown (50), and Micah Downs (22) celebrate Chris Pontarolo-Maag's first points of the game at Senior Night during a NCAA college basketball game against South Carolina Upstate in Spokane, March 3, 2009"

NotoriousZ
03-04-2009, 06:34 AM
All year, Zag fans have been have been upset about playing this game, myself included, as it will hurt the RPI. But now I get it, Few proves his genious once again! There was something special going on last night, from the pregame intros with the players' families to the seniors talking to the crowd after the game. And all the fun inbetween! Spot on as usual, Bob!

zag67
03-04-2009, 09:15 AM
:) I have to also agree, that a game like this is perfect for the program (no matter what the RPI). I think at times all of us forget that these are kids and they also need to be able to laugh and have some fun. If at the end of each year, they have a game like this that allows players like Andrew and Ira to be showcased for all of the hard work that they have done throughout their careers, more power to the program. Looking at the smiles and laughter was worth it.

SteelCityZag
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
If anything, I think it should be a lesson to the fellas about the benefits of playing relaxed. There were countless times where shots went up easy and smooth and just went in...open looks that have seemingly bounced out all year long were dropping.

Play loose, play smart, play aggressive: my new mantra for the post-season.

Zagsker
03-04-2009, 09:48 AM
If anything, I think it should be a lesson to the fellas about the benefits of playing relaxed. There were countless times where shots went up easy and smooth and just went in...open looks that have seemingly bounced out all year long were dropping..

yeah...that is nice....but take into account the opponent. It is very easy to play "relaxed" when you are up by 20+ and you KNOW if the opponent makes even a little run...you can get back to business, run your sets and put them away

Reborn
03-04-2009, 09:51 AM
And what about those pre-game warm-ups? Awesome! They were the ones worn by the '99 team. I thought that was just really cool. I wonder if they're planning to wear them again?

thickman1
03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
And what about those pre-game warm-ups? Awesome! They were the ones worn by the '99 team. I thought that was just really cool. I wonder if they're planning to wear them again?

I wish they'd wear those uniforms.

HOOTER
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Not sure I buy into it. I think this time of year, teams need to stay focused and shore things up. Fun's fun but this game offered no challenge other than not laughing too hard.

When this team is loose and having fun, they play better basketball. When things get to serious, as we have seen this season, they seem to break down and lose focus. I'm glad they had fun last night and I hope they continue to do so the rest of the way.