PDA

View Full Version : McRoberts Declares for NBA

madness
03-22-2007, 09:39 AM
and is going to sign with an agent...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6596652

IMO, this is a very bad move...and kills Duke. They are going to be very small, with 2 good SFs coming in...do they go 4 guards essentially next year?

Could be an interesting matchup for GU if they schedule the neutral site game again in 2007...

hmmm....who will declare next????

tobizag
03-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Peace out McBob...

sanfranzagsguy20
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
imo he would have been better suited coming out last season...i think his stock has fallen to the point where he probably isn't in the lottery...i don't expect much from him in the pros as he was an overrated college player as it was...

Rubbadub
03-22-2007, 09:59 AM
The Dukies starting post man is going to be.......ta dah! Brian Zubek. lol. That team is going to be terrible. Their only chance is if Paulus develops MUCH better poise and control and Scheyer improves on his one dimensional shooter's repertoire.

wazZag
03-22-2007, 10:02 AM
ugh, bad decision. He hasn't sniffed the hype.

drnoe
03-22-2007, 10:04 AM
McRoberts was an overrated "superstar-type" player, but a nice role player. Good luck to him in the NBA. Looks like another down year for the Dukies next year.

Rubbadub
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
It was a bad decision for him not to declare last year, but next year would also be better than this year. Why would he declare now when he probably is not going to go in the lottery? There have got to be at least 10 post player prospects in the draft i would rather have on my nba team than Mcbob. I would rather have him than the Chinese big man (Jianlian?) that Chad Ford is obsessed with though.

IrishZag
03-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Tough to say if it is a bad move. His stock certainly wasn't going up playing out of position on a struggling Duke team.

McRoberts was forced to play 4/5 at Duke. In the NBA he is probably an athletic wing who fills up the stat sheet ala Kirelinko. He probably would have benefitted from another year to develop some post moves and an outside shot. Right now he has hardly any of either.

In the end of the day he can develop those in the NBA, he just might have to develop them on the bench. I would be surprised if he does not succeed in the NBA in some way, he is just a phenomonal athlete. He would be a perfect fit for Phoenix (but who hasn't done well at Phoenix) or another uptempo team with his ability to handle, pass, and crash the boards.

zags422
03-22-2007, 10:17 AM
there's isn't any way he'll play the "athletic wing" (3) position. He is the slowest person, probably ever, and would get burned by everyone. His only spot is a 4, and he is a role player at best. I don't even think he's a good shooter.

CDC84
03-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Not a wise decision. The draft is loaded and he needs to work on his offense more.

Rubbadub
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
He's closer to Brian Scalabrine than Andrei Kirilenko :o

youreachiteach
03-22-2007, 10:34 AM
McRob has HUGE upside!!! He'll be a very solid pro. Its a great decision he left. He'll be on the top 15 anyways, and wait until workouts start, GMs will love him. He can dunk, rebound,block shots jump out of the gym, PASS, dribble and he's 6-11 not 6-9.

The sooner you get in the league, the sooner you can get the big "max" contract.

I like that kid.

Asotin
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe you can declare and still return to school if you don't hire an agent and remove your name by a certain date. This allows the player to go to workouts and have his game evaluated by pro scouts. This has been used by many kids in the past few years and it has really helped their draft status for the following year.

Rubbadub
03-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Asotin, check out that article. It doesnt seem like he's testing the waters.

wazZag
03-22-2007, 11:02 AM
The sooner you get in the league, the sooner you can get the big "max" contract.
Well, since your contract for the first three years (if you are picked in the first round) is determined by how early you are selected, it puts a lot of stock in performing well at the next level...

Asotin
03-22-2007, 11:02 AM
I know but it seems that every year articles like that come out and end up being wrong.

gonzagulous
03-22-2007, 11:14 AM
"While extremely talented, the 6-foot-9 Indiana native never quite lived up to expectations set for him in Durham."

This quote says it all. He'll end up having a mediocre career in Europe. Rick Rickert anybody?

Zag79
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
He'll end up having a mediocre career in Europe
ohhhhhhhhhhh, you mean the place really good, very skilled players go that cant get in the nba because they dont fit the mold. gotchya! ;)

lothar98zag
03-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Good move = going pro this year and get drafted in the 1st round

Bad move = going pro after this year and maybe get drafted in the 2nd round

Better move = go pro last year and get drafted in the top 10

TheOtherGreatOne
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
he couldn't play at duke. why in the world would an nba team waste a draft pick on him? is espn going to buy an nba team and hire vitale to coach them? that's the only way i could see an nba team wanting him. /

penny
03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
The Dukies starting post man is going to be.......ta dah! Brian Zubek. lol. That team is going to be terrible.

i have to disagree with you here. Duke is my second favorite team and i watched every game that was on t.v this year. while Zubek didnt get a lot of playing time this year, i think he will be very good next year if he works hard during the off season. the main thing he needs to work on is his feet, he has a tendency to travel. besides that, he has great hands and he can block a shot without fouling and he keeps it in bounds. he can also score in a number of ways.

i woundn't count Duke out next year just yet

TheOtherGreatOne
03-22-2007, 04:30 PM
penny,do you work for espn?

penny
03-22-2007, 05:27 PM
penny,do you work for espn?

no, i'm just a high school senior who loves college basketball and i have to defend my Blue Devils

Rubbadub
03-22-2007, 05:35 PM
You're defending the offensive versatility of a guy that scored 3.3 points a game and the blocking ability of a guy that had .3 blocks per game? and his ability to start at center on a perennial top 10 team? :lmao: saying he needs to work on his hand and footwork is an understatement. His assist to turnover ratio is almost twice as bad as Kuso's.

penny
03-22-2007, 05:57 PM
You're defending the offensive versatility of a guy that scored 3.3 points a game and the blocking ability of a guy that had .3 blocks per game? and his ability to start at center on a perennial top 10 team? saying he needs to work on his hand and footwork is an understatement. His assist to turnover ratio is almost twice as bad as Kuso's.

his lack of playing time would account for his points per game. in the games that he did get to play a lot of minutes he showed good scoring ability. i should know, i watched him play, i didnt just simply look at his stats.

i also never said that he needed to work on his hands. i said he needed to work on his feet because he travels which would account for his turnovers.

Rubbadub
03-22-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty sure i'm not just going by stats on this. Its hard not to watch some of Duke's myriad televised games...and i went to two of them, so give it a rest. And since i'm the one that's actually willing to bring up stats, that pretty much makes you a blind fan. Now, besides Duke's two early warm up games against rpi sub 200 teams, which weren't televised, Zoubek has averaged almost exactly 2 points a game. Your argument in the beginning was that he has somehow shown offensive versatility...despite the fact that virtually every point that he scored was a putback. How can one show great offensive versatility when one only puts up 2 shots a game and makes one, with most of those being putback layups? I realize that he doesnt get much playing time, but you dont hear me saying that Will Foster would be capable of anchoring the zags next year. Josh Mcroberts is a borderline lottery pick and he wasnt able to give the Dukies success...but you're saying Zoubek would ensure as much for them next year? Furthermore, he's the only player on the team that's taller than 6'8, returning or frosh. You're headed for a disappointing year if you plan on rooting for them. They are going to be a doughnut to put us to shame :)

brasszag
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Furthermore, he's the only player on the team that's taller than 6'8, returning or frosh. You're headed for a disappointing year if you plan on rooting for them. They are going to be a doughnut to put us to shame :)

Man - I can already see Coach K pulling out midseason due to "exhaustion" and tacking the losses onto an assistant coaches record... again.

dpouley
03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
there's isn't any way he'll play the "athletic wing" (3) position. He is the slowest person, probably ever, and would get burned by everyone. His only spot is a 4, and he is a role player at best. I don't even think he's a good shooter.

Slower than Mallon?:)

zags422
03-22-2007, 08:45 PM
That would be pretty entertaining to watch. Eitherway, neither of them are "athletic" (meaning quickness) and neither will/would do anything in the NBA but be a role player or bench. I say McRoberts goes very late in the 1st round.

IrishZag
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I like how blind hatred towards Duke and the NBA causes people to completely omit reality.

McRoberts is SLOW? He can't play wing? Have you ever watched the guy play? He is a point guard who grew an extra 8 inches in high school. He was one of the best ball handlers at Duke and lead the team in assists a couple games this season. He certainly is not a polished offensive player. But I am sure he can develop that in the NBA when it is his job to do so.

Does anybody remember Linas Kleiza on Missouri? He was a true 4/5 in college a banger with a similar build to Cory Violette. In the NBA he plays Small Forward and a little bit of 2 Guard and is one of the leading 3 point shooters on the Nuggets.

The NBA values defense and athleticism in role players, and divine offensive prowess in superstars. That is why guys like Yahkouba Diawara are in the league while Blake Stepp, Richie Frahm, and J.P. Batista are playing overseas.

Oh and you just might eat your words by calling a player on the Duke roster completely talentless based on a few stats from his freshman season. If you looked at Pendo or Heytvelt's stats from their freshman years I highly doubt you would be able to predict their transformation and success as an outsider to the program. If they got into Duke I imagine it was because they had some kind of ability as a basketball player.

penny
03-22-2007, 09:42 PM
that pretty much makes you a blind fan.

I had to laugh at this because of course i am going to say that my favorite teams are going to do well next year. i'm not going to say woe for Duke just because they lose one player. you may say that i am being blind, as you so kindly put it, but dont worry, i'm young. i still have time to see the light.

despite the fact that virtually every point that he scored was a putback

i think that is a little over exaggerated, and even if they were all put backs, which they werent, wouldnt that mean that he is able to finish at the rim?

I realize that he doesnt get much playing time, but you dont hear me saying that Will Foster would be capable of anchoring the zags next year. Josh Mcroberts is a borderline lottery pick and he wasnt able to give the Dukies success...but you're saying Zoubek would ensure as much for them next year?

i never said that Zoubek would "anchor" duke next year. i said dont count them out.

Furthermore, he's the only player on the team that's taller than 6'8, returning or frosh

height isnt necessarily everything. look at Butler. their tallest player is like 6'8 or 6'9. and their in the sweet sixteen. i'm not saying that duke is butler, but you are putting too much emphasis on height.

john montana
03-22-2007, 10:22 PM
duke has a lot of young players back, and you can't count them out. zoubek has some potential, but they really do need to land patrick patterson to be in the hunt for a sweet 16 or better.

i'm glad to see mcroberts go. he has some skills, but i always hated his attitude. looking forward to seeing singler next year.

dawgman1999
03-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Rubbadub: why would you take Josh McRoberts over Yi Jianlian? Have you seen Yi played?

Apparently, you have not. Yi will run around McRoberts all day. He's a 7 ft version of Boris Diaw. He would thrive in the Phoenix system or Golden State System. Plus, Yi is more athletic, a better rebounder and a better shot blocker than McRoberts. He also has a silky smooth mid range jump shot and a 89% FT shooter. It's not even close in turns of athletism, speed, jumping ability, basketball IQ and offensive + defensive skills. Yi needs to bulk up, as he can't play at 235lbs in the NBA as a 7 footer, but he does everything better than McRoberts. Yes, I am from Guangdong, the same place that Yi plays. But I have watched him played, but I also saw him averaging 14 pts, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks against the Dream Team 7 in 2 matches during last year's world championship. He's a different type of player than Yao Ming, but he complements Yao well. I think he's more of a LaMarcus Aldrige, Tyus Thomas type of player with better shooting skills. There is no way Josh McRoberts will be drafted higher than Yi Jianlian.

cougs4ever
03-23-2007, 08:05 AM
UWe's Ryan Appleby also declared today.

:lmao:

dawgman1999
03-23-2007, 08:56 AM
coug: WTF? link please.

If Appleby is an NBA player, then there'd be 300 NBA teams. Don't get me wrong, I am an Appleby fan, but there are only about 60 spots in the draft, and only the 1st rounders have gurantee contracts. Why would he do that?

wazZag
03-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Uh, 1999, he's joking. De-bunch thy underpants.

cougs4ever
03-23-2007, 11:35 AM
coug: WTF? link please.

If Appleby is an NBA player, then there'd be 300 NBA teams. Don't get me wrong, I am an Appleby fan, but there are only about 60 spots in the draft, and only the 1st rounders have gurantee contracts. Why would he do that?

Dawgman, you made my day!

wazZag
03-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Epic

sonuvazag
03-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Yes, and, um, Lorenzo Romar is rumored to be a lead candidate for UK job.

Rubbadub
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Penny, its my b-day and i don't want to argue anymore. Tell you what, what do you think should be considered a successful season for Duke next year? Next year midway through the acc season if Duke is two games or more above .500 in conference I'll apologize to ya ok? As for Yi, all the speculation since last year has been that he is several years older than the 19 or 20 that he says he is. So i worry about his ability to get significantly better (which he would need to do, despite his "silkiness") over the years as Yao has done. A couple games against the very offensive minded Team USA isn't enough to disuade this thinking either.

a13coach
03-23-2007, 12:24 PM

dawgman1999 coug: WTF? link please.

wazZag Uh, 1999, he's joking. De-bunch thy underpants.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Oh boy you guys are killing me. My co-workers are looking at me funny for laughing so hard out loud. :lmao:

cougs4ever
03-23-2007, 12:53 PM

I went over to the UK board just to see if they were talking about coach Few at all. I was shocked to see someone had actually thrown at Romar's name as a tier 2 candidate. There is a whole thread on Lorenzo over there. I'm not being sarcastic this time!

penny
03-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Next year midway through the acc season if Duke is two games or more above .500 in conference I'll apologize to ya ok?

it's a deal.

dawgman1999
03-23-2007, 03:13 PM
As for Yi, all the speculation since last year has been that he is several years older than the 19 or 20 that he says he is. So i worry about his ability to get significantly better (which he would need to do, despite his "silkiness") over the years as Yao has done. A couple games against the very offensive minded Team USA isn't enough to disuade this thinking either.

Rubbadub: you made some great points about Yi. His birth certicate said he was borned on October 27, 1987. But Shane Battier heard Yi told him that he was born in October 85. There was even rumor that he was born in 84. Since another Chinese player Wang Zhizhi actually changed his age to 2 years older after signing with the Mavs several years ago, I tend to think that he was born in 85. So, he'd be 21.5 years old now. I am pretty sure that was the same age Yao Ming came over to the NBA. McRoberts just turned 20 a month ago. Yao made significant stride from his rookie year to now. I am not sure why Yi can't get significantly better if he's 21 or 22 now.

The other concern about him was he doesn't have the same work ethics as Yao. Well, not that many people have the kind of work ethics that Yao has in the NBA. But being from the same part of country that I grew up in, I could totally understand why Yi is more laid back than Yao. He doesn't have the competetive fires that KG and Kobe have. I would say that is a bigger factor than his age in how much he can improve in the NBA. Work ethics is everything in any line of work. But this kid is from a very laid back part of the country, and is used to taking everything easy in his life. I think that will hinder him more than his age.