PDA

View Full Version : SMC Considers Adding A Game

Angelo Roncalli
03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Saint Mary's quest to get Patty Mills and the Gaels in the best possible position for a potential NCAA tournament berth may take another interesting twist if coach Randy Bennett goes ahead with a plan to add a game before Selection Sunday.

Bennett said he will decide by the end of the week whether he will play a game against either a Division I or 2 team after the conclusion of the West Coast Conference tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3948842&name=katz_andy

former1dog
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Wow, what kind of precedent exists for such move? I haven't heard of such a thing before.

lothar98zag
03-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow, what kind of precedent exists for such move? I haven't heard of such a thing before.
THIS

:confused:

former1dog
03-03-2009, 10:33 AM
THIS

:confused:

Typing to fast.

I haven't heard of a team adding a game to their schedule in the manner that St. Mary's is contemplating. When has this been done before or is this a new idea that St. Mary's has come up with?

madness
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Maybe a local JC or small school like Menlo College, DeAnza, or ??? Why even publicize it, just label it a practice game like when GU played Texas earlier.

gamagin
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I would think it would be better for Patty to continue therapy and not risk jamming it in an additional game, assuming he emerges healthy from the WCC.

shooting in he gym, therapy, team scrimmaging, drills & more therapy etc etc., would seem to increase his timing, etc., issues, versus jamming it or reinjuring it in some way in a game.

Of course, this sort of talk could also means Patty will not play in the WCC, or very sparingly, and that his hand will be tested in a game thereafter. Of course this all assumes SMC gets a call to the dance.

I'm beginning to think the coach is trying as much as he can to keep Mills in the mix so the selection committee will keep smc in the mix, whether Patty is ready or not.

former1dog
03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm beginning to think the coach is trying as much as he can to keep Mills in the mix so the selection committee will keep smc in the mix, whether Patty is ready or not.

My thoughts exactly. The only purpose for a game like this would be to showcase that Mills is back and healthy.

Weird stuff.

BobZag
03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Doesn't bother me one iota. More power to them. If this is the difference between NCAAs and NIT, I say go for it. I would.

77Zag
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Why don't we just hang in Vegas a little longer and play on Tuesday and Wednesday

;)

UberZagFan
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Why don't we just hang in Vegas a little longer and play on Tuesday and Wednesday

;)

Actually, that would be good for GU. As it stands now and has been the case for the past 10 seasons, GU ends it's season on a Monday and has to wait at least 10 days, sometimes 11, to play again. The rust has been apparent in past tourneys. Slipping in a game after the WCCs maybe a good thing. Uber thought that was what Upstate was for but then they scheduled it for today. It should be played next Wednesday or Thursday.

bballbeachbum
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
fwiw, I've never heard of this. I wonder too, if it's more a response to hearing about the need to prove Mills is back or else win the WCC tournament to get in (which they are no doubt hearing), or if it's more about getting Patty the work...Bennett can play it as both.

I'd like to see them dance...as an at-large only, of course.

MDABE80
03-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Zags will likely scrimmage with local teams. I agree that the time off is a killer for us. Has been in the past.

Bennett is reading ESPN too much. He is on the bubble because they haven't play anyone but GU. Well Utah St. Mills is tangential. If they win out in the tournament, they're in. If they don't they go back to the bubble. Risking a kids hand for an NCAA bid......makes about as much sense as..........not sure if there is a parallel example. IF Mills is healed and ready to go....let's see what they have. If not......ppppppfffffftttt...like anyone else, they take their chances. I think they'll get in. I'd like to see em play UW.

brian_sun
03-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Zags will likely scrimmage with local teams. I agree that the time off is a killer for us. Has been in the past.

Bennett is reading ESPN too much. He is on the bubble because they haven't play anyone but GU. Well Utah St. Mills is tangential. If they win out in the tournament, they're in. If they don't they go back to the bubble. Risking a kids hand for an NCAA bid......makes about as much sense as..........not sure if there is a parallel example. IF Mills is healed and ready to go....let's see what they have. If not......ppppppfffffftttt...like anyone else, they take their chances. I think they'll get in. I'd like to see em play UW.

Abe: you forgot UW has to play this thing called Pac-10 tourney next weekend? No, St. Mary will not be able to schedule any BCS schools for that game. All they can schedule is some mid-major also-rans who finish their conference tourneys the coming weekends. Probably someone like Pacific or Cal State Long Beach.

brian_sun
03-03-2009, 12:19 PM

;)

No, no, no! That means the fans who travel to the WCC tourney will have to stay 2 more days in Vegas. In this tough economic time, that's a lot to ask from the fans. So if they play again in Vegas, the attendance will be down significantly, and if one team already won the title, what's their incentive to play someone they beat couple days ago again? There is nothing for the tournament winner to prove.

WallaWallaZag
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
if davidson doesn't win their conference tournament, st.mary's should play them which in theory would be an ncaa elimination game and the winner greatly improving their chances of getting an at-large bid...patty mills vs. stephen curry!!! i'd pay to watch...hahaha...

lothar98zag
03-03-2009, 12:45 PM
if davidson doesn't win their conference tournament, st.mary's should play them which in theory would be an ncaa elimination game and the winner greatly improving their chances of getting an at-large bid...patty mills vs. stephen curry!!! i'd pay to watch...hahaha...
:allhail:

gu03alum
03-03-2009, 12:52 PM

That would be some must see tv. That's a great idea. Maybe you could do that with a Butler or Xavier too if they don't win their tournament.

Zagriculture
03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I was thinking about this "and one" game scenario for non-BCS conferences. Wouldn't it make sense for two leagues like the WAC and WCC to get together and have two extra games scheduled, after the conference tourney's, but before selection Sunday. The winners of each league tourney are in as auto bids, but the runner-ups get to travel to the other leagues champion for an extra game. This would give the league champions an extra home game against a solid RPI team, potentially boosting their seeding, and give the second place teams a final chance at solidifying or justifying a birth in the NCAAs by a getting final road win against a tourney team. Of course this assumes that the second place team is not in by the skin of their teeth already and that a road loss against a conference champion would knock them out (not likely).

It doesn't quite pan out this year as eloquently as it always could, as assuming conference tourneys played out like the regular season, St. Mary's would play at Utah St. (already played this year, but a road win might put SMC in) and Nevada would travel to Spokane (Nevada, even with a win at GU would likely not make it)

But I think it is a good proposal.

WallaWallaZag
03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
both butler and xavier are likely locks regardless, just like us, but maybe siena or creighton would be game...

on another note, it would be hella funny if bennett went ahead and scheduled say NJIT to get patty some face time for the committee and st.mary's went ahead and beat us to win the wcc tournament...

ok, maybe not...i don't wanna lose to them...

well, ok, i digress...it would be hella funny if after winning the wcc tournament, patty re-injures his wrist breaking his fall wehn samhan bowls him over giving him a chest bump with his man-boobs after mills has hit his 10th consecutive three against njit...

ZagManFan
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM
My take on this is that Randy Bennett does not think he can beat the Zags and has to prove to the commitee that Mills is ready after we thump them again.:D

Why even consider this if you win the WCC?

lothar98zag
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Maybe RB is pretending to think about adding a game and just wants the media attention so SMC stays in the news and isn't forgotten...

CB4
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
They could be starting something here. I guess it really depends who they play.

maineblackbear
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I remember back in the early nineties that LMU was pretty much guaranteed of the WCC spot and Princeton was pretty much guaranteed its spot--so for two years in a row (was it two--I guarantee one, but maybe I am confused) they played in the week after the WCC tournament-- I thought that was cool, (if a shade arrogant).

Anyway, if St. Mary's needs or wants to schedule a game more power to them. This is a fine squad with Mr. Mills. I would very much like to see them make the dance, and win one game fewer than Gonzaga:) Anyway, we all know that which makes them stronger improves us, as well.

(Man, how times change, LMU sux and Princeton--well, they lost to Maine this year, so that should tell you something . . .)

mbb

MDABE80
03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I meant I 'd like to see St Marys play UW in the tournament. Abe never forgets....much:)