PDA

View Full Version : Forde Predicts Mid-Major Tournament Winners

bullzag23
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
West Coast (25), March 6-9, Las Vegas.

The favorite: Gonzaga, which ran the table in the regular season.

The spoiler: Saint Mary's, which regrouped after the initial shock of losing superguard Patty Mills to a broken hand and has now won five straight.

Minutes pick: Saint Mary's. With Andy Katz's news Monday that Mills has been cleared to play, The Minutes is going with the replenished -- and more desperate -- Gaels.

Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3948048&sportCat=ncb

I find it somewhat amusing that everyone sees 'Patty Mills cleared to play', and they assume that means St. Mary's will win. We'll see

Reborn
03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I am so glad they are picking St. Mary's. AS a matter of fact, I'm beginning to wonder if they'll even make it to the finals. I smell an upset brewing. They are overlooking their first opponent, big time. And all this attention being paid to Mills. I'm SMILING FOR AN UPSET.

theirishzag03
03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3948048&sportCat=ncb

I find it somewhat amusing that everyone sees 'Patty Mills cleared to play', and they assume that means St. Mary's will win. We'll see

Agree! I know he will have a huge impact for them, BUT 1 game on a "hopefully healed" hand??? Move over Nate-Dwight-Lebron...there is a new Superman!!!

Baldwinzag
03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Bring it on.

dnj116
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
You know what? I love it. Just like when the season started, sports writers loved to say that this would be the year some other WCC team would finally claim the WCC title--what happened? We went undefeated in conference play.
Go ahead and say they'll get the upset. It gives us a chip on the shoulder to play with. The fact that people are discounting us I think only helps us. We'll probably be a favorite to be upset in the first round too. Keep on adding fuel to fire sports pundits. And as Baldwinzag said, "Bring it on."

zagman1111
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Don't forget that Patty Mills was single handedly eating the Zags alive at McCarthy before he got hurt. I wouldn't overlook SMC w/Mills.

SDUQ
03-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Don't forget that Patty Mills was single handedly eating the Zags alive at McCarthy before he got hurt. I wouldn't overlook SMC w/Mills.

So did Nik Raivio for a half. Not that the two are the same, but adjustments are usually made at halftime.

Its like the how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop question.

(Answer - the world will never know).

HOOTER
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Mills isn't ready. He's being brought back to send a message to the selection committee and improve their chances at an invite. Some people are actually being fooled by this gesture. How often does a player come back from injury and immediately return to form? Rarely if ever. Mills may be close to full strength come NCAA tourney time, but by then it may be too late. I'm still fully convinced the Zags will win the conference tourney, Mills or no Mills.

Das Zagger
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I am so glad they are picking St. Mary's. AS a matter of fact, I'm beginning to wonder if they'll even make it to the finals. I smell an upset brewing. They are overlooking their first opponent, big time. And all this attention being paid to Mills. I'm SMILING FOR AN UPSET.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. Portland has pretty much limped into the conference tourney while SMC has put up a pretty good fight.

GU is going to have a tough one on Sunday, that's for sure.

Das Zagger
03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Mills isn't ready. He's being brought back to send a message to the selection committee and improve their chances at an invite. Some people are actually being fooled by this gesture. How often does a player come back from injury and immediately return to form? Rarely if ever. Mills may be close to full strength come NCAA tourney time, but by then it may be too late. I'm still fully convinced the Zags will win the conference tourney, Mills or no Mills.

Good points around. The dynamic of SMC with, and without, Mills changes violently (pretty obvious). He hasn't played in a game since the injury and it looked like the team was learning to play without him. I'm not sold on Mills making a huge impact in Vegas.

lothar98zag
03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
...of course GU has to make it the Finals too...

for example, SCU lost to GU by 42 the 1st time they played. SCU improved the margin by 34 to a 8pt loss last week. If they keep up that pace, they should beat GU by 26 the next time they play, which could be this Sunday...

Look out for SCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bullzag23
03-03-2009, 12:28 PM
...of course GU has to make it the Finals too...

for example, SCU lost to GU by 42 the 1st time they played. SCU improved the margin by 34 to a 8pt loss last week. If they keep up that pace, they should beat GU by 26 the next time they play, which could be this Sunday...

Look out for SCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes, but keep in mind the 42 point win was in Spokane, and the 8 point win was in Santa Clara. By my complicated math, I will average those two results to come up with the neutral court result.................let's see, now 42 + 8, carry the 1, divide by 2.......25 point victory for GU!!! :D

mainer6
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I agree that it is difficult for one player, coming off injury, to carry his team. My concern is that the supporting cast at SMU has gotten much better (because they had to) after Mills went down. Now, Mills doesn't have to be Mr. Everything. He can let his more confident teammates do more and we know that Mills is a quality person--he will do whatever it takes for his team to play their best. Now, however, it might not require putting the team on his back and scoring 25+ against us. So, even if with a less than healthy Mills, SMU may be better than before.

Just one thought from a loyal (and slightly paranoid) Zag fan.

whatazag
03-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I am glad Mills is back and I'd like SMC to get an at large bid, but it is really a lose-lose for GU. If we beat them, then it was because Mills wasn't 100%. If we lose, then all of the talking heads who keep saying we would have lost the first game had he not been injured will be vindicated. This is all assuming we both make the championship game, hopefully that will be the case.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Gonzaga should win the WCC tournament regardless.

And they must.

It's March; time for the best team to rise to the occasion.

This team will.

Folks, we've been up and down and all over the place this year. But this team has always...repeat...always been a Sweet Sixteen team. That's where they are, should be, will be. Anything less would be a letdown. Anything more would be gravy...and gravy I find within reach.

We've got the team. Gonzaga *has* it.

We're due.

In Matty B we trust.

--
Pleas P

Zag79
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM

So did Nik Raivio for a half. Not that the two are the same, but adjustments are usually made at halftime.

BINGO! that mills excuse is so played out by now. i would like to play SMC just to beat them with mills to shut everyone up. my hope is for the zags to win the title, get the auto bid and a high seed, rolling into march and make a deep run to finish yet another great season.

misszigzag
03-04-2009, 04:30 AM

Its like the how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop question.

(Answer - the world will never know).

Exactly! Raivio was ON FIRE for the entire half, and then we made adjustments and he went cold.

I am sure nearly the same scenario would have played out with Mills.

We'll never know, but bring on the rematch ;)

bigblahla
03-04-2009, 04:59 AM
I predict Forde is WRONG!

Zags sweep through the WCC tournament winning both games by the same exact margin of 1+.

As far as SMC goes I don't care if we play them or not we've already beat them twice and everyone knows how hard it is to beat a team three times in a season, any team. That is the task at hand for the Zags in both games.

We can do it!

Vegas Baby, here we come.

Go!! Zags!!!