PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Seattle U

Angelo Roncalli
03-03-2009, 09:42 AM
John: Will you be playing Gonzaga anytime in the near future?

Seattle U Coach Joe Callero: We do not have any immediate plans to play Gonzaga at this time. However, we have discussed opportunities to play in their tournament in the future. Scheduling is more about available dates than opponents.

http://www.examiner.com/x-610-Washington-Huskies-Examiner~y2009m3d3-Joe-Callero-has-Seattle-University-basketball-on-the-fast-track

PilotNut
03-03-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed on here somewhere before... but why not play Seattle U. instead of a team like SC-Upstate? Keep the money in the family, so to speak...? And at least create a game with some local interest and more media coverage/interest...?

siliconzag
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
is a grreat question.

I'm sure this has been discussed on here somewhere before... but why not play Seattle U. instead of a team like SC-Upstate? Keep the money in the family, so to speak...? And at least create a game with some local interest and more media coverage/interest...?

My exact thoughts. Congratulations on a great season for your Pilots BTW. It has been gratifying to watch.

Sili

NorthWestZag
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Seattle U currently has a Sagarin Rating of 133. Only Portland, Saint Mary's and Gonzaga have higher ratings out of WCC Schools. They actually have a higher ranking than Oregon.

My point is that scheduling Seattle U on a semi-formal night like tonight, would not be a good idea. If we were to play them, we would need to treat it like a real game. ESPECIALLY since it would make Seattle U's season to beat in-state rival Gonzaga.

Against USC-Upstate, we really only have to show up to win. Just saying...

Probably explains why the final game next year will be Cal State-Bakersfield.

lothar98zag
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
My gut says the only way GU & SU play are if SU joins the WCC or both teams happen to meet in a pre/post-season tourney.

(btw, I hope I'm wrong)

former1dog
03-03-2009, 11:44 AM

I vote neither.

siliconzag
03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Have a storied past. There was never a time, even in the best of times, when Seattle U enjoyed a lofty status (for many years) incidentally, when Seattle U refused to play Gonzaga. While I understand the argument about RPI, two Jesuit institutions in the same state, in the same Province should play each other. The fans of the respective universities expect it.

Gonzaga fans shouldn't throw stones at the U Dub unless Seattle U ducks Gonzaga. Fom my understanding (inside sources), SU wants the series. There shouldn't even be a question about it.

Sili

Angelo Roncalli
03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
A few years ago, Gonzaga and Seattle U scheduled a came. It would have been a guarantee game and payout for SU. This was before Hogan and the efforts to go D-1.

Some of the Jesuits at Seattle U were worried about the bad publicity that would come with SU being pounded by Gonzaga They prevailed upon the SU athletic department to cancel the game.

TacomaZAG
03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
we should play a home/home, just not on Senior night for the above stated reasons. It's too good to pass up (Jesuit, in-state, etc.) and we could play them early in the OOC schedule instead of one of the cupcakes.

What happened to anyone, anytime, anywhere??? This is too close to turning into something similar to the Fuskies/GU harping to even consider not playing them.

Bring it on in a true home/home early in the season.

Go ZAGS

lothar98zag
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
sorta related - will the EWU-GU series return? If so, when?

CDC84
03-03-2009, 12:47 PM
I have a hard time seeing Gonzaga scheduling a true home and home series with Seattle U anytime in the near future. Especially with Gonzaga already playing one game per year in Seattle as a part of the Battle In Seattle event. The Zags need more non-conference home games at K2. It would be nice to see GU schedule Seattle U as a "payout" game instead of scheduling CSU-Bakersfield or whatever.

I have heard nothing about Gonzaga scheduling EWU in the near future. If it happens, I have a feeling it would just be another non-league game at K2 as opposed to a "series"...albeit a game with a little more bite to it due to regional interest.

PilotNut
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I understand not wanting to play a "high RPI" team in this scenario... but I dont see why you need to fly SC-U, a team that generates zero interest/intrigue/excitement, all the way to Spokane for a game when there are plenty of other teams out west of "similar" RPI status... Montana St., the various Cal St. schools, N. Colorado, etc... And playing a team like, say, EWU or Seattle U would be a smaller hit to the RPI.

I find it hard to believe that SC-U will make much money on this game, either... by the time they fly from the upstate part of SC to GEG, there cant be much $$$ left... And this is their only game on this trip...

I guess I just dont get it... :confused: GU fans also pay big bucks for their season tickets (and donations, etc.); I am surprised they don't demand "better" opponents...

229SintoZag
03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I understand not wanting to play a "high RPI" team in this scenario... but I dont see why you need to fly SC-U, a team that generates zero interest/intrigue/excitement, all the way to Spokane for a game when there are plenty of other teams out west of "similar" RPI status... Montana St., the various Cal St. schools, N. Colorado, etc... And playing a team like, say, EWU or Seattle U would be a smaller hit to the RPI.

I find it hard to believe that SC-U will make much money on this game, either... by the time they fly from the upstate part of SC to GEG, there cant be much $$$ left... And this is their only game on this trip...

I guess I just dont get it... :confused: GU fans also pay big bucks for their season tickets (and donations, etc.); I am surprised they don't demand "better" opponents...

No worries. We've already got CSU-Bakersfield, which should be Division I by then, on the docket for this post WCC, pre-WCC tournament senior night, let the walk-ons get some minutes spectacle next year.

So we've got that part of our home schedule locked down, and we don't even have to fly in a team from South Carolina or Houston, Texas.

lothar98zag
03-03-2009, 01:28 PM
How would a season ticket holder demand anything? When the waiting list for tickets is 100,000 (give or take) people long, GU can just say "If you don't like it, leave it."

BobZag
03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
sorta related - will the EWU-GU series return? If so, when?

I have heard whispers that the two teams could be playing next season.

CDC84
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't know all the details about why Gonzaga scheduled USC-Upstate for this game instead of playing a more local team, but I would suspect that not many teams are interested in playing a non-league game in early March. Especially established D-1 teams like Idaho, Montana, etc. If I coached at an established D-1 school, I wouldn't play Gonzaga or any non-league opponent at this time of year. The focus right now is conference play...especially in one bid leagues like the Big Sky, Big West, etc.

Norcalzag
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
It's my understanding that Seattle U will be playing its home games at Key Arena for the next couple of years at least. A home and home deal would give a lot of GU fans on the West Side another chance to see the Zags play. I don't think a second game in Seattle vs Seattle U every other year would detract from the appeal of the Battle in Seattle, especially if it can be scheduled later in the season -- say, the same weekend GU plays Portland.

75Zag
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Maybe the Seattle U fans should save up and buy a billboard near GU campus accusing Few of being too chicken to play Seattle U. That might work!

CDC84
03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
The problem is that Gonzaga already plays Memphis during one of the Portland weeks, and the feeling I get is that they don't want to be playing games during both Portland weeks. It's nice to be able to have some extra time during league play to stay at home, rest and practice more. If they are going to schedule a 2nd game during league time, it needs to be this week when there is a big gap of time between the end of the regular season and the start of the WCC tourney. But this is also an ideal week to bring in a "payout" opponent for senior night. It's not a good week to play another road game when they already have to travel to play in the league tournament.

webspinnre
03-03-2009, 04:53 PM
I'd love to play Seattle U, but not right now. Make them one of the nonconference games early in the year, and set something up where they come here twice, and we go there once or something.

siliconzag
03-03-2009, 05:56 PM
From Spokane or Hec Edmundson. It all sounds the same.

Sili