PDA

View Full Version : OT: Huge game for Utah tonight...

former1dog
03-03-2009, 06:34 AM
... Playing New Mexico in the Pit. Utah is 1 game ahead in the conference standings over UNM and BYU. I'm guessing they need that win something fierce.

Not to mention, it sure won't hurt GU's resume to have played another conference champion.

So, Go Utes!

GUZagDenver
03-03-2009, 07:16 AM
I grew up in Albuquerque......so I am going to have to go against the Zags a little bit here and say GO LOBOS!!! The UNM fans haven't had much to cheer about since Dave Bliss left. Fran Fraschilla and Ritchie McKay really trashed the program, so I am hoping Steve Alford brings them back to tournament worthy every year. He has done a great job in his short time at UNM.

CDC84
03-03-2009, 08:06 AM
UNM has a wonderful new practice facility right next to the Pit. They will also be renovating the Pit pretty soon. Alford has done a great job of reaching out and revitalizing the fan base. The attendance figures during the McKay period were disgraceful for a program that had always been well supported.

BobZag
03-03-2009, 09:26 AM
We want Maryland to beat Wake Forest tonight so the Terps can move up into Top-50 RPI, and we want Ok State to beat K-State tonight so the Pokes have a shot at Top-25 RPI.

It hurts to have lost to Utah by 1 point and to UConn in OT; now there is some serious Top-25 RPI help. Ugh.

UberZagFan
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Go Utes.

CanadianZagFan
03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Some Canadian connection on the Utes with Tyler Kepkay being a big contributor off the bench for Utah....he averages over 30 minutes per game...still can't figure out why he does not start.

Go Utah!

229SintoZag
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Anything that those schools does will be mooted by us simply playing USC Upstate.

Before the game, our RPI is at 34 per realtimerpi.com

How far will the feel good victory over USC Upstate and their 307 RPI drop us? And how many spots on the S-Curve will it cost us in the tournament for Few to do a favor for his friend?

Time will tell. I just hope we don't go from a 5 or 6 in Portland to a 6 or 7 on the East Coast, all because we played this meaningless game on a lark.

GUZagDenver
03-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Anything that those schools does will be mooted by us simply playing USC Upstate.

Before the game, our RPI is at 34 per realtimerpi.com

How far will the feel good victory over USC Upstate and their 307 RPI drop us? And how many spots on the S-Curve will it cost us in the tournament for Few to do a favor for his friend?

Time will tell. I just hope we don't go from a 5 or 6 in Portland to a 6 or 7 on the East Coast, all because we played this meaningless game on a lark.

At least the committee says they don't look at the RPI when making their decisions..... If we run the tournament, no one will remember this game anyway.

UberZagFan
03-03-2009, 12:19 PM
At least the committee says they don't look at the RPI when making their decisions..... If we run the tournament, no one will remember this game anyway.

Huh? Then what is it used for?

RPI stands for Ratings Percentage Index, a tool of the NCAA in assembling championship fields in a host of sports. The RPI essentially combines winning percentage and schedule strength into a single formula to help compare teams from different conferences and regions. It has been used as an aid to the NCAA men's basketball committee since 1981. The formula was adjusted in 2004-05 to diminish the value of home-court victories while emphasizing road performance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3812210

229SintoZag
03-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Not sure what you're talking about. The single biggest criteria in terms of seeding is our RPI.

The committee does look at it--heavily. They just don't rely on it exclusively in deciding who gets in and who is left out.

But in terms of seeding, it is more important than any other factor, and the correlation between RPI and your place on the S-Curve is more significant than anything else.

Just playing this game could well mean the difference between being seeding in Portland or Boise, and somewhere in the Eastern time zone.

UberZagFan
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
More:

The RPI, developed in 1981 to provide supplemental data in the evaluation of teams for at-large selection and seeding of the championship bracket is only one of many pieces of information available to the committees.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=32187