Angelo Roncalli
03-02-2009, 02:33 PM
From Andy Katz

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3947172

GonzagaDynasty
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
From Andy Katz

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3947172

Wow this is huge news.. I hope he can play solid.. This means we may have 1 more big game before the dance... Good for Patty, I hope they get an at large bid, because they aint beatin us!

MotoZag
03-02-2009, 02:42 PM
A rematch in the finals off the WCC would be a great spill over for the dance, if we win. If we lose, we might be looking at another post-UConn slump. I'm excited nonetheless. I can see this being a premiere game on ESPN for us all to watch. Hopefully the WCC tourney is in HD too, because all of the WCC teams have neglected to upgrade their cameras.

Nevtelen
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Glad to hear it - I hope he plays well and SMG gets into the tourney (just not by beating us).

GonzagaDynasty
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
A rematch in the finals off the WCC would be a great spill over for the dance, if we win. If we lose, we might be looking at another post-UConn slump. I'm excited nonetheless. I can see this being a premiere game on ESPN for us all to watch. Hopefully the WCC tourney is in HD too, because all of the WCC teams have neglected to upgrade their cameras.

You're telling me. I can barely stand watching the games on ESPNU... I've never seen worse Picture quality. If it aint HD, I have a hard time enjoying the game

gamagin
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I hope he isn't risking his future with this decision. He has a bright one.

EngineerZag
03-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Great news!!

lothar98zag
...(If SMC loses) in the final and Mills plays well, then the committee will have one of the most interesting selection decisions of the field.

:agreed: and I really hope they would put SMC in.

Angelo Roncalli
Hopefully the WCC tourney is in HD too, because all of the WCC teams have neglected to upgrade their cameras.

The schools don't own the cameras, and in most cases, the networks (ESPN, Fox) don't either. The video equipment is owned and supplied by regional contractors that provide mobile production services. The networks contract with these production services.

malmer7
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
this is fantastic news - after his time on the broadcast with lavin i really gained a new respect for the kid. he has played his butt off when healthy and i'm sure he will once again when he's healthy, should make vegas interesting!
enjoy him gaels, these will be his last few games as a collegiate athlete...

Baldwinzag
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Good news for Mills and even better news for St. Mary's.:)

I particularly liked this quote from Patty:

Mills wants another shot at Gonzaga.

"I'd like to play them in the WCC tournament final. I can't describe how excited I am to get back on the floor and give back to Gonzaga what they've done to us this year and a number of years."

everybodycougsit
03-02-2009, 02:58 PM
"I'd like to play them in the WCC tournament final. I can't describe how excited I am to get back on the floor and give back to Gonzaga what they've done to us this year and a number of years."

Finally a team that can back up their competitive spirit with the ability to clearly be the better team. Have not seen that since pepperdine a while back.

siliconzag
03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
It makes it possible that we will not be tournament champions. That's the bad news, but if we can't beat SMC with Patrick playing, we wouldn't be able to go very deep.

I tend to agree with those who said we were stymied in Spokane until he was injured, and that we might not have won that game, that it was a tarnished win. However, I think the Zags have improved since then. As long as the players don't replay their pre Mills injury performance in their mind. It's all mental at this point. They have to believe that it was a developmental lapse they have long since surpassed.

SMC is going down
Causing Gael fans to frown
Young Paddy is back
And he ain't no hack
But it's the Zags who'll win the crown!

former1dog
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Mills is a great player.

BUT, he was halving his best half of baskeball EVER before he went down with injury. What's the chances of him putting 2 halves like that together when they play us again coming off injury? Any statistician care to take a crack at that?

My contention, is that is what its going to take for them to beat us.

Reborn
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=Baldwinzag;387096]Good news for Mills and even better news for St. Mary's.:)

I particularly liked this quote from Patty: "I'd like to play them in the WCC tournament final. I can't describe how excited I am to get back on the floor and give back to Gonzaga what they've done to us this year and a number of years."

I would post the quote on the Board in locker room if I were Mark Few.

I can't wait either. Mill's injury hurt Gonzaga as much as it hurt St. Mary's. With Mills coming back now, the excitement for the WCC fianals will grow each day. I personally believe that his return is going to hurt them, and they may not even make it to the final. Wouldn't that be nice?

former1dog
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM

+1...Agreed, that is locker room material. Here's to hoping that Patty regrets the quote. Although, I must say it is tame as locker room material goes.

Angelo Roncalli
03-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Saint Mary's star guard Patty Mills took one more step towards being ready for this weekend's WCC conference tournament, but has not yet been cleared to play.

"He's been cleared to start doing some things and the bone has healed well," Gaels coach Randy Bennett told FOXSports.com on Monday night. "Now he's been cleared to start shooting and dribbling."

"We're optimistic he will play in the league tournament," Bennett added. "But he's still got to progress."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9285610/Mills-returning-to-practice-for-Saint-Mary%27s

gamagin
03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9285610/Mills-returning-to-practice-for-Saint-Mary%27s

the first report. I mean his hand was broken.

leaping from that to ready to play is quantum.

feelings, nerves, a shooters touch, timing and all that involves and so forth in the hand -- that's not quite like hitting a switch or tightening a screw.

I didn't read, for e.g., that he was practicing.

I think smc is hoping out loud here so far.

Go Zags !

sullyzag66
03-02-2009, 04:50 PM

Portland should post this in their locker room; SMC had best not look past the Pilots, despite their last two losses.

NotoriousZ
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Good for Mills, the guy is class act. I hope we get to see SMC in the finals, and after we beat them :D I hope the committee gives them the nod. There would be a 3 or 4 seed out there who would not like their first round draw.

kitzbuel
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
SMC is going down
Causing Gael fans to frown
Young Paddy is back
And he ain't no hack
But it's the Zags who'll win the crown!

http://sickpill.com/images/27.jpg

Sili, when do start touring?

snebzag
03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
SMC adjusted its game after they lost Mills. Tough at first then they got better. Now they adjust with him and no way at full speed or confidence.
Look for Portland to win by 2 in a wire to wire game. Just what I think will transpire in Vegas.

ZagLawGrad
03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
the first report. I mean his hand was broken.

leaping from that to ready to play is quantum.

feelings, nerves, a shooters touch, timing and all that involves and so forth in the hand -- that's not quite like hitting a switch or tightening a screw.

I didn't read, for e.g., that he was practicing.

I think smc is hoping out loud here so far.

Go Zags !

Agreed. Being released to play doesn't mean pain free and 100% on your game. It's gonna take some time. Unfortunately for SMC, it doesn't have the luxury of much time at this point in the season. Best wishes to him, though.

ZagLawGrad
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
In re-reading the ESPN story, this line stands out to me and may be telling:

"Mills plans on doing light ballhandling drills Monday and then some shooting Tuesday. He hasn't taken a shot with his right hand since his last 3-pointer against Gonzaga."

Kiddwell
03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Kiddwell is very, very happy for Patty Mills, SMC, and the WCC Tournament.

Here's hoping the WCC final pits the Zags vs. the Gaels. If so, that ought to get the Gaels into the Big Dance (to Kiddwell's way of thinking anyway) after the Gaels lose a back-and-forth championship game on a heartstopping buzzer beater by Steven Gray! Oh, yeah: in double OT!

Steven needs some props and a morale boost going into the NCAAs.

:]