PDA

View Full Version : Nice read on Manny from the Catholic Register in Canada

ZagNative
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow! Neat to see Manny mentioned in the Canadian Catholic register today:

Celebrating excellence in our schools

Taking advantage of God's plan for him
Mangisto Arop, 18, Grade 12, St. Mary’s Catholic High School, Hamilton, Ont.

Born in Sudan, the young basketball star and his family fled to refugee camps in Ethiopia and Kenya because of the civil war. He came to Canada in 2000 with his mother, Angelina, and four brothers.

In 2008-2009, he is ranked as the top male high school player in Canada. He was a member of the junior national team that took the bronze medal at FIBA Americas U18 Championship and is currently training with Canada Basketball’s National Elite Development Academy. He has earned a scholarship at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington, and hopes to play in the NBA.

On his faith, Arop says, “Things happen for a reason. God has plans for us.”

He also has some advice for kids.

“The big thing is believing in yourself and staying motivated because there are times when you’re not going to be good at certain things or (you) hit rock bottom, but don’t give up. Keep working hard. There’s always going to be a way to get it done and just keep praying.”There's a pic in that story, but it's not up to much, so here's one pirated from an earlier story, which is no longer on line:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2009%20Recruits/Manny%20Arop/2008-09-11MannyAropguestcoachRimbyb.jpg
"Guest coaches Mangrsto Arop, left, and Jamaal Butknor of the Canadian National Junior Basketball Team and Concordia College, joined Rimbey’s Erika Bergum and Coordinator Adam Troitsky at this year’s Summer Basketball Camp."

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Niiiice find, ZN! And kudos on all the great posts today!

HillBillyZag
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Need I say more? This University places high importance on the character of its student-athletes. Manny will be a great Zag!!

BobZag
03-02-2009, 01:55 PM
ZN coming through in the clutch!

Thanks. :)

Is Mangisto gonna be awesome, or what?

ZagNative
03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Need I say more? This University places high importance on the character of its student-athletes. Manny will be a great Zag!!HBZ, I thought of you when I read that story. "Oh, HBZ is going to love this kid!"

GonzagaDynasty
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
HBZ, I thought of you when I read that story. "Oh, HBZ is going to love this kid!"

I already see he's got good morals... Good looking kid and I think he can play some basketball too!!!

HillBillyZag
03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
I cannot wait to seen "MannyBol".! Those two kids should be a hoot.

sdzag
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Are we going to see a return of the JP days but this time people bringing Canadian Flags to games? Or Sudanese?

BobZag
03-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Are we going to see a return of the JP days but this time people bringing Canadian Flags to games? Or Sudanese?

The bigger question is, if students bring a Sudanese flag, will they be arrested? lol.

ZagNative
03-02-2009, 02:32 PM
This quote from Jim Meehan's blog about Manny's commitment back in May of '08 (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2008/may/08/junior-commits-to-gu/?print-friendly) really stuck in my mind:

“Gonzaga is a Top 25 school and academically they have smaller classes so it will be easier to get to know professors,” Arop said. “Their coaching staff was nice. They’re interested in developing players and your character. They care about that more than basketball. That’s a place I want to go because I want to become a better person to go along with being a better basketball player.”

I don't try to look inside a kid's heart and judge his "morals," but it is nice to see a kid who seems to have a mature set of values and appreciation for the importance of striving to be a good person as well as a great basketball player.

ronh_pm
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Look for some more info about Manny here http://crownmagonline.com/index.html and (very) soon to come an article on Kelly Olynyk.

-------
I am not associated with the website in anymore than a (non-paid)contributor of photographs.

MDABE80
03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Thank you for posting that ronh.........And welcome to the board.

ronh_pm
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM

If I thought there was a Canadien's snowballs chance in**** of getting a ticket, my son and I make the road trip Vancouver in a shot cheering on the red and white Zags...ok..the rest of them too!

former1dog
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
If I thought there was a Canadien's snowballs chance in**** of getting a ticket, my son and I make the road trip Vancouver in a shot cheering on the red and white Zags...ok..the rest of them too!

I'm guessing someone around here might be able to help you out with that, so stick around.

cjm720
03-03-2009, 06:21 AM
[QUOTE=ronh_pm;387488]Look for some more info about Manny here http://crownmagonline.com/index.html and (very) soon to come an article on Kelly Olynyk.

Thanks..here's the article:

Crown Staff
February 27, 2009 - Hamilton, ON

The stage is set. The papers have been signed. Only one question remains: Will he live up to the hype? Mangisto “Manny” Arop is off to Gonzaga next year, currently the 17th ranked team in America with a 20-5 record. Expect them to be dancing in March!

Manny, 6’6" shooting guard with an arsenal of diverse abilities is a highly regarded player in the class of '09. Some say he may even be the top player in the country! Well, this intuition definitely isn’t far from the truth. Arop can do it all: shoot, pass, rebound, defend and jump out the gym, but that doesn’t mean he’s fulfilled. “What I have is good, but I shouldn’t be satisfied. I’m happy, but I’m not satisfied so far. I feel like I can achieve more, I have so much more to learn in basketball and as a person,” he says. Spoken like a true champion, this youngin’ is on the hunt for greatness.

In the meantime, Manny is spending his time preparing in the NEDA (National Elite Development Academy ) laboratory for his debut as a Bulldog freshman next September.

Learn more about Mangisto Arop and the struggles he’s fought through to get to the position he’s in right now--- You’ll find it in Issue #2 of CROWN MAGAZINE, COMING TO YOU THIS MARCH!!!

ronh_pm
03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
The piece on Kelly is now posted.

http://crownmagonline.com/articles/20090303.html

cheers
Ron

ZagNative
03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Thank you, ronh! Your photo of Kelly with that story is great! Thank you for putting us onto the story early on.

Here's an exerpt:

Matthew Lundy
March 3, 2009 - Kamloops, BC

Gonzaga University has the definitive stronghold of Canadian high school basketball players among NCAA programs. Next fall, their line-up will boast four Canadian players, including a monopoly of British Columbia’s top players from the past three seasons.

The slew of Canadian talent starts with Rob Sacre of North Vancouver, currently a Gonzaga Bulldog sophomore. Next in line you’ll find the much embattled Bol Kong, formerly of Vancouver’s St. George’s Saints, and Mangisto Arop, whose developed his game with Edmonton’s Ross Sheppard High School and the National Elite Development Academy.

The fourth installment of Canadian content is Kelly Olynyk, a versatile six-foot-10 forward who represents the South Kamloops Titans. Despite widespread acknowledgment as British Columbia’s top high school basketball player for the 2008-09 season, Olynyk’s on-court success only recently caught the attention of schools in the United States.

A significant amount of anonymity came from a devastating shoulder injury Olynyk suffered in grade 11 while playing quarterback for South Kamloops. He would be forced to sit on the sidelines for the duration of his junior season.

“The bone at the end of the humerus had broken right off,” says Olynyk. “Not many teams in the States were interested.”

Recruitment would become competitive following the successful rehabilitation of Olynyk’s shoulder and his roster spot on Canada’s Junior National Team. Some of the schools which clamoured for his basketball services included Syracuse, North Carolina State, and Providence.

Olynyk’s decision came down to Gonzaga’s playing style, its history of Canadian players, and proximity to Kamloops.

“[Gonzaga] play more up-tempo and not the traditional college style,” says Olynyk. “They get out and run.”

A free-flowing, offensive style of play should benefit Olynyk, whose game is built around the skills he acquired as a six-foot-three sophomore point guard. His subsequent growth spurts allowed Olynyk to combine a perimeter-oriented game with newfound post skills, an inside-outside combination rarely seen in British Columbia high school hoops.

“In high school I play the four [power forward], but I also play the point and handle the ball a lot,” says Olynyk. “I like to utilise vision and passing skills the way a Steve Nash or Jason Kidd would.”

His game also resembles that of future teammate Austin Daye, a California-native whose NBA draft status, in his sophomore season, has taken a nosedive from potential top-five aspirations. Unless Daye can find consistency in the final weeks of the NCAA season, he will likely return to Gonzaga for his junior season. Normally this would spell concern for an incoming freshman, yet Olynyk sees the opportunity as a positive.

“With [Daye] maybe not going in the draft, that might be better for me,” says Olynyk. “I can take something away from him before he goes to the NBA.”
....Follow the link (http://crownmagonline.com/articles/20090303.html)to read the rest of the story.

SWZag
03-04-2009, 07:48 AM
“With [Daye] maybe not going in the draft, that might be better for me,” says Olynyk. “I can take something away from him before he goes to the NBA.”

Great attitude! Any player who is willing to be coached and mentored is going to be a huge asset!

Looks like the concession stands will need to sell poutine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine) next year!

Jace~

-----