PDA

View Full Version : Withers on Kent, Few

Angelo Roncalli
03-22-2007, 05:36 AM
The Few-to-Oregon line of thinking isn't based only on that Kilkenny friendship. Few is an Oregon grad, his parents live 10 miles from Eugene, and having spent the past 18 years at Gonzaga, he might simply be ready for something different. Any, and all of those, can be legitimate forces to draw Few from Gonzaga; only he knows the pull of them.

There are two other popular slants of those who support this scenario: Few has taken Gonzaga as far as it can go, and, as a Pac-10 job, Oregon is inherently a better one.

Wrong, and wrong.

You mean we shouldn't accept as gospel the conjecture of John Canzano or the drivel from the mouth of Ian Furness?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2003629877_withers22.html

IrishBulldog
03-22-2007, 07:40 AM
This particular blurb has me extremely excited for next year:

Awaiting Few next fall, assuming he stays, is a collection of raw talent the likes of which Gonzaga has never seen, and that includes the days of Adam Morrison. It includes a backcourt of Jeremy Pargo, Matt Bouldin and Micah Downs, a glue-guy forward in David Pendergraft and, presumably with heads on straighter, Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis.

The incoming, four-man class is Times state player of the year Steven Gray, the 6-4 guard from Bainbridge; 6-foot-4, 235-pound forward Ira Brown, an ex-pitcher in the Kansas City Royals chain ("Thick and all muscle," says his Phoenix JC coach, Matt Gordon); Robert Sacre, a physically mature 7-footer from North Vancouver, B.C.; and a 6-9 wing, Austin Daye, who averaged 30.9 points and 14.7 rebounds at Irvine (Calif.) Woodbridge High.

"What I've been hearing on the circuit is his [Daye's] game, skill-set-wise, translates to the [Kevin] Durant kid at Texas," said John Halagan, Daye's coach. "He's a long kid who has ridiculous range. He has a very good crossover move, a fall-back move and can pretty much put it on the deck and go by people."

The point is, Few and his staff have built the program brick-by-brick and it still appears to have an upside.

PDXZag
03-22-2007, 07:49 AM
"Competitively, as long as Few is at Gonzaga, that's a better job. Even if Oregon has a new arena, it's no better than perhaps the fourth- or fifth-best destination in the Pac-10."

I completely agree with Withers on this point. As I've said in earlier posts, I think the Oregon job is a good, but not great, job opportunity for Few or any good coaching prospect out there. I think the UCLA, USC, UA, ASU, UW and Stanford jobs (and perhaps the Cal job although University doesn't seem to support the program very well) are all better P-10 jobs. As I see it, the real wild card is the $ at Oregon. If Knight decides he wants Few (yes I said Knight, because let's face it, The Booster runs that Athletic Dept.), there might be a boat load of $ thrown at him. However, I can't see Knight and the University paying the basketball coach more than Mike Belotti.

ZagNick
03-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I think Mark will stay....Marcie and his children love Spokane....but Mark still spends a lot of time fly fishing in Central Oregon and unlike the Los Angeles River the Mackenzie does have trout.....Billy and Leon also have ties to oregon, but of course Billy would stay due to his contract...

madness
03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Plus, leaving the area did not stop Dan Monson from travelling to Priest Lake (and hanging out with Few's family) many times in the summer. I don't think Few would necessarily have to cut bait and leave his Spokane ties to take the Oregon position, he will always come back and vacation/live in Spokane/Idaho in the offseason.

berkeley8
03-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Having gone to the same high school as LG and seen him play 2 full years of high school basketball i do not think any one has to worry about him making the squad. I doubt he will be a starter this year b/c of his injury but he should be one of the top guys off the bench. The high school that he came out of plays a full court pressure defense. He should be great on defense. He does need to work on his outside jumpers though.

sullyzag66
03-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Local KGW sportscaster quoted Oregon AD, Pat Kilkenny, commenting on Kent after today's game: "How could you not want him back?"

kdoggy
03-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I think Few must consider the possibility that in taking the Oregon job he may never coach at a school of Gonzaga's caliber again. Think about guys like Rollie Massimino, Steve Lavin (and other UCLA coaches), Matt Doherty, and more close to Few, Monson and Giacoletti. Its always understandably tempting to accept the big dollars and the potential preofessional challenge, but the downside is going to a place where conference titles and deep tourney runs are expected every single year. Even if that school has very little history on which to place the high expectations. Oregon defintely has that Minnesota, Missouri quality to it. What would happen if Few didn't bring those guys to an elite 8 after Kent leaving? Talk about an instant "hot seat"

I think what is often said is that Few would be "set for life" if he were to sign a multi-million dollar contract. The reality is, even with his "meager" Gonzaga comp package, he is already set for life financially and he enjoys the "legend" job security of Lute Olsen and Roy Williams. Itís a pretty darn good gig for Few.

zagar
03-26-2007, 11:31 AM
A good and often overlooked point re: Few being set for life. Even if Few's salary is still at $500k annually (which it was a couple of years ago but by many accounts is higher now), what kind of expenses could he have where he is not set for life? More important than anything else, he has job security. If a 3- or 4-year stint at Oregon at $2 million/year = set for life, a 20-year coaching career at Gonzaga at $500k+ = set for life as well. That's not even factoring in all of the intangibles/bonuses.