PDA

View Full Version : Fun Story From the GU Game

ToreroStudent
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Most of you know me on this thread and no that I have nothing other than great respect for Gonzaga. This story reinforces why I feel that way.

The other night during shoot around I got to messing around with players as I always do. I noticed that Ira Brown was just draining from three hitting something like six in a row. I decided to mess with him a little bit. As he was shooting I started yelling "Ira! Ira! What are you doing? You don't shoot threes!" He hit like four in a row so I said "Ira, there is no way you will make this one. I will tear off this shirt if you make this one." He missed it. I stated again "This one isn't going in either." Another miss. Then, as he shot the next one I said, "It's a lot easier when i'm not in your ear huh?" He hit it, smiled at me and said,"Yeah it is, yeah it is." He hit his next one and pointed at me.

What a great sport. For all of you out there, you have a class act athlete in Ira Brown. When a player can play around with the fans and have fun and still be a fantastic player, you really have something. I will root for you guys in the NCAA tournament just for that moment. With that, Ira became one of my favorites.

HRZag
03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Another fun little tidbit.

A young friend of mine ended up sitting next to Austin Daye's grandmother. She was not too pleased with the game, especially when Austin got the T.

Too bad, Austin had such a miserable game.

BobZag
03-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Good to hear. Ira! is a laid back kinda guy, he's heard every fan heckle and boo there is being a baseball pitcher with iffy control problems. The place looked full and was loud. Good job to Billy and good job to the students and fans. All the best in Vegas.

UberZagFan
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Good story. Ira has become a fan favorite on limited minutes. Here's hoping he sees some playing time in the tourneys.