PDA

View Full Version : New Bracketology 03/02/09

sdzag
03-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Just saw the latest Bracketology and Joe put us a 6 seed in portland against Utah St. The second round match up would be a against the Washington Huskies. Huskies vs Zags in Portland! Are you kidding me? Love the seeding. Only problem is the Sweet 16 game would be against Memphis and I heard we had some trouble with them last time we played them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

zagsfan21
03-02-2009, 07:25 AM
6 seed in Portland vs. Utah State.

Second round matchup with UW.

IdahoTJR
03-02-2009, 07:47 AM
That would be an ideal first round draw.

kclubfounder
03-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Gonzaga VS Washington in Portland in the 2nd round. Wow. Would that generate some interest around here?

dpouley
03-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Gonzaga VS Washington in Portland in the 2nd round. Wow. Would that generate some interest around here?

Honestly, I hope that doesn't happen. That would be almost too much for me to take. The anticipation, the coverage, the hype...talk about overwhelming!!

That and the fact that as a Husky first, I would hate to see GU in the second round. GU vs. UW in the second round of the tourney is an incredibly tough draw for BOTH of those teams. I would rather they both make the Sweet Sixteen, than one make the Sweet Sixteen at the others expense.

J-Lo
03-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Honestly, I hope that doesn't happen. That would be almost too much for me to take. The anticipation, the coverage, the hype...talk about overwhelming!!

That and the fact that as a Husky first, I would hate to see GU in the second round. GU vs. UW in the second round of the tourney is an incredibly tough draw for BOTH of those teams. I would rather they both make the Sweet Sixteen, than one make the Sweet Sixteen at the others expense.

We'd also be likely to see a rematch with Memphis in that bracket.

edcasey
03-02-2009, 08:22 AM
not me love that bracket and the set up

75Zag
03-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Please God, GU vs UW in Portland! Not only would I see some great basketball, but I can support my single malt scotch habit by scalping (er . . reselling) my extra tickets to the Rose Garden!

Go Bulldogs!

BobZag
03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
I still don't think Utah State wins the WAC Tourney and gets in. I bet it'll be Nevada.

UberZagFan
03-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Utah St. has suffered some tough losses of late but still have a shot at an at-large. They have a quality win over Utah and some other good wins but recent losses to Boise St. and Nevada hurt pretty bad but are not "bad" losses. No losses to RPI 100 & above teams like GU has. And Utah St.'s RPI is currently higher than GUs.

Utah St. may be the best team on the 11 line (or pretty close behind Sienna).

The second round matchup against Weber St. wouldn't be that tough at all.

thibaulm
03-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I still don't think Utah State wins the WAC Tourney and gets in. I bet it'll be Nevada.

Ya i watched that game on the weekend and Nevada looked like the better team to me

TacomaZAG
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Check out the Portland bracket.

Oh please, please......................

Go ZAGS

Zagsker
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't like that Memphis is on our side

and

why does Lunardi always have one less win for us...he has us at 22-5...before the past weekends games he had us at 20-5...does he not count the MSB game??

BobZag
03-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't like that Memphis is on our side

and

why does Lunardi always have one less win for us...he has us at 22-5...before the past weekends games he had us at 20-5...does he not count the MSB game??

Montana State-Billings is D2. D2 games are not counted in RPI and bracketing.

Zagsker
03-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Montana State-Billings is D2. D2 games are not counted in RPI and bracketing.

ahhh

thanks

zagsdan86
03-02-2009, 10:04 AM
The second round matchup against Weber St. wouldn't be that tough at all.

I see what you did there.:lmao:

Colbyspapa
03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Anyone else notice Lunardi not putting St. Mary's in the field or the first 8 out? Patti Mills is supposed to be back this week. The tourney committee does take into account key injuries when it selects the field and the Gaels were 18-2 with Mills. 18-1 before the game he was injured. I think they get in if they make the WCC finals.

MississppiZag
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Andy Katz reported Mills would not be playing in the WCC Tournament.

Baldwinzag
03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
The second round match up would be a against the Washington Huskies. Huskies vs Zags in Portland! Are you kidding me? Love the seeding.

I have an incredibly odd feeling that the Committee will, indeed, have us match up against the Huskies in the 2nd Round. To be honest, its more than plausible at this point. If Huskies perform admirably in the Pac-10 tourney, than they'll easily sneak up and snag a 3 seed and if we win-out, we'll most likely secure a 6 seed. If the committee wants to "reward" each team with geographic proximity than they'll each be in one of two places: Boise or Portland. All that said, the Zags and Huskies have an excellent chance to meet-up. It seems crazy and hypothetical but its probable. Considering the Committee has historically created "hype" games and/or rematches in their past brackets, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we are playing the Huskies come Round 2. I'd almost put money on it.:p

bullzag23
03-02-2009, 11:00 AM

:link:

Is this in a podcast or a blog/article? I haven't seen this anywhere

lothar98zag
03-02-2009, 11:03 AM
If this is the case, I expect SMC to, unfortunately, be in the NIT.

MississppiZag
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I thought I read this in the Bracketology performed last Monday, with Joe Lunardi, the SEC Commisioner, and several others. I will look.

Not sure how to find it. Please if you find out this is wrong let me know. I could have swore I read "Mills will likely be out for the WCC, but could play in the NCAA's, if the Gaels make it." Or something along those lines.

lothar98zag
03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I thought I read this in the Bracketology performed last Monday, with Joe Lunardi, the SEC Commisioner, and several others. I will look.

Not sure how to find it. Please if you find out this is wrong let me know. I could have swore I read "Mills will likely be out for the WCC, but could play in the NCAA's, if the Gaels make it." Or something along those lines.
They were talking about a hypothetical situation they were given while creating a mock bracket:

Joe Lunardi article from last Monday
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3927895

In the exercise, Gonzaga won the West Coast Conference tournament. Saint Mary's lost in the championship game without star guard Patty Mills, who never returned from his injury. The Gaels still received some at-large consideration but did not make the final at-large ballot.

Katz blog also from last Monday
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3928104&name=katz_andy

If Saint Mary's says Patty Mills will be back for the NCAA tournament but he doesn't play in the WCC tournament before selection weekend, the Gaels probably won't be able to convince the committee that they can be the same team without him. One point Slive made was that even if the school said he would be back for the NCAAs, there's no way to know whether the Gaels would be close to the same team when Mills (who suffered a broken right hand) was healthy. So SMC will be judged on the body of its work -- wins and losses, who it played, when and where with or without Mills. If that's the case, and the Gaels don't win the WCC tournament, they'll have serious trouble earning a bid.

MississppiZag
03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I visited godisagael.com and the consensus from their fans seems to be that Patty is highly doubtful for the WCC and questionable for the NCAA tourney.

spudzag
03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Utah St. = NIT

GU = 5 seed

siliconzag
03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
for us to add this as one of the intentions or prayers of the faithful?

And for this, "...we pray to the Lord."

If the Lord is truly just and good, it might just happen. In fact it might be another proof of his existence. A chance to smite the evil West Side Dog. Please let it happen! Please!

Sili

zagsfan21
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Glockner's bracket at SI.com has us as a 6 in Boise:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_glockner/03/02/bracket/index.html?eref=T1

I'd absolutely love this draw.

lothar98zag
03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I personally don't want GU & UW to be placed anywhere close to each other in the bracket. Not because I'm worried about GU losing to UW or whatever - I just would hate to see the sideshow that's associated with this "rivalry" to become the main story and the NCAA tourney to become almost secondary...

Das Zagger
03-02-2009, 04:29 PM
The second round match up would be a against the Washington Huskies.

Dear Baby Jesus,

Please let this happen, please for the love of god.

Warmest regards,

DZ

siliconzag
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Dear Baby Jesus,

Warmest regards,

DZ

to this, we pray to the Lord, the BVM and all the Saints
This we humbly ask

Your Faithful Servants,
Das Zagger
Sili

NotoriousZ
03-02-2009, 07:08 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_glockner/03/02/bracket/index.html?eref=T1

This is a much easier road to the sweet 16, but I don't think Mizzu is going to end up with a seed that good. I'm just hoping for Portland or Boise, Fuskies or not.

fedwayzag
03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Riding home from work I was listening to Romar's coaches show on KJR. The host told him about Lunardi's brkt and the possibility of playing GU in the second round. romar's response was "I told you we will play them again". Made me laugh out loud.

Seattle_Zag
03-02-2009, 07:55 PM

I'd like that draw too, but I would prefer Portland for selfish reasons (2 1/2 hour drive to the game instead of a really long drive/flight)

This guy also has St. Marys in as a #10 seed. Interesting...

ZagLawGrad
03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Dear Baby Jesus,

Warmest regards,

DZ

LOL DZ, LOL

Ziggy
03-03-2009, 06:47 AM
It's worth keeping an eye on The Bracket Project (http://bracketprojrct.50webs.com). If you want to talk about a sense of humor. Has us as a 4 seed in Portland against...Davidson w/ Xavier as the possible second game. In the Sweet Sixteen we might meet UNC far away from home. I like this a lot!

hoopster777
03-03-2009, 10:27 AM

The SI draw is fantastic.....Big 10 is likely the 2nd worst of the major conferences this year. None of the teams in the Big 10, including Michigan State, scare me. Drawing the 6th best team in a bad big conference is very favorable to us. Only the SEC is a worst conference. Then Missouri I think is a very beatable team. They don't scare me at all. Carroll is a solid inside guy, and they did barely beat their rivals, but they don't have any note worthy wins. Then of the #2 seeds, Louisville is going to be a TOUGH opponent.....however, Oklahoma is the most beatable #1 seed. Not bad at all...

zagman1111
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Interesting, but I still don't understand the seeding, much less the Zags being ranked 14 in the nation?! Who have we played and beaten? Undeafeted in the WCC is awesome. But it is still the WCC. Doesn't really get us prepared for NCAA "real man" hoop. Oh yea - we play NC Upstate tonight. That should help!

brian_sun
03-03-2009, 12:35 PM

dpouley: I am not with you on this one. It's one thing to play Gonzaga in the home and away series every year. It's quite another to play them in the tourney. Nobody remembers Gonzaga beating UCLA in the Pauley's earlier this decade, but everybody remembers JP Batista turning the ball over to UCLA in the last minute and lost a heart breaker in the sweet 16 game. I mean GU people to this day are still bitter about that loss. Even if GU wins the next 10 regular season games against UCLA, that sweet 16 loss will still BE the UCLA and GU game people will be talking about. My point is any victory against GU in the tourney will erase ALL the bad memories in this one-sided series during the last decade. I don't care if the game is a sweet 16 game or a round of 32 game. This game NEEDS to happen. I think 3 vs. 6 is about where both teams should be seeding wise at this point. 2 vs. 7 or 4 vs. 5 is too much to ask for now. This match up is basically for the bragging rights in this state for the next 10 years. It HAS TO happen.

kyle dixon
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
One game at a time. All I am thinking about is beating SC Upstate.

Every year I love the prognostications of after we beat so and so, we get Georgetown. We have the easy road and then we will need to beat Memphis in the Elite 8. I tend to think once you look too far ahead, you get beat.

A few years ago I remember Iowa coming out of the Big Ten as the tournament champion. Many of their fans were looking towards the final four and I was even believing the espn analysts. Then came Northwestern State. To this day, I still have no idea in hell where that school is. All I remember is Northwestern State was through to the round of 32 and Iowa's season was over.

I think Husky fans should understand. Take last year as an example. After they beat Valpo in the CBI they were sure to shell out some more money for another home game. Oops. Got to take one game at a time.

maineblackbear
03-03-2009, 01:40 PM
1. Northwestern State is in Louisiana. I know, weird.
2. I would love for the Zags to play the Huskies.
3. I am going to try try try to not get too high or low on this team against anyone. We have the talent to beat anyone. We have also had a tough time recovering from poor starts or when other teams punch us in the face early. I could see Final Four. I could see one and done. I am just going to try to enjoy this team for what it will offer and not for what I want from them.
mbb