PDA

View Full Version : Which teams worry you the most?

23dpg
03-02-2009, 07:53 AM
I think long athletic teams (Memphis) will give GU a bigger problem in the tourney than the big and tough teams (UConn). So what teams worry you as a possible first or second round game? Maybe not so obvious teams but ones that are slightly under the radar?

LSU would be my pick.

ZagLawGrad
03-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Not sure who really worries me since there are so many possibilities of who we end up playing.

But I will say this---the Chickens don't worry me on a neutral court. We match up well with them, and they are very vulnerable away from Hec Ed.

malmer7
03-02-2009, 08:49 AM
i'm just going to throw this one out there - but i am more "worried" about possible 1st round matchups than the 2nd round.
odds are, if we are a 6 or 7 seed we will play some mid-major right? siena, utah st maybe, etc, etc. the majority of these teams will be hot because they just won their conference tournament, and they will likely be good 3-pt shooting teams without the athleticism of the usual "big time" programs.
bob valvano made a point of this after Saturday's game - we're long, so we can guard the post and the drive, but our weakness on D would be the 3-pt shot. i just think we have a more likely chance of falling to a hot 3-pt shooting team you'd likely face in the 1st round versus a big athletic team in the 2nd. either way, it's going to be one heck of a ride and i like our chances still!
-check out the green, good new look for me huh?

77Zag
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
With our experience of late in the tournament, any and all should be a concern.

It all comes down to the draw and location - Last year going to Carolina to play Davidson in there back yard was very difficult, let alone run into the hottest team of the tournament last year in our opener. Davidson ended up being giant killers --

The NCAA field has many teams capable of advancing - from the 13s on up. No one is safe.

So, we will take on all comers and play our hearts out and advance -

CDC84
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Any team with a physical frontcourt that rebounds well

siliconzag
03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
in the second round in Boise, according to Mr. Lunardi, the Jayhawks. They beat Mizzou bloody yesterday. On the boards, in the paint, in transition, in all aspects. And Mizou is good, and big, and mean.

We will make the top 32 if Mr. Lunardi is correct. We have no possibility of beating Kansas. But this does not distinguish us from most of the rest of the field. What a crummy draw that would be.

KSTATEZAG
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm not impressed with Kansas...but then again, I'm biased.
I think we match up far better with them in comparison with others...and the Big 12 is way over rated this year.

75Zag
03-02-2009, 09:26 AM
GU has proven they can beat just about anybody and they can lose to just about anybody. I am sorry to admit that I don't have very high expectations for this team in the tournament, but with some luck I believe GU can at least get to the Sweet 16. Getting past that level without a "Kevin Love" (or John Brockman) style banger seems unlikely, but who knows.

Go Bulldogs! No injuries against USC Upwhatever!

zagnut52
03-02-2009, 09:37 AM
I agree with CDC84!!!

UberZagFan
03-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Always the team GU faces next worries Uber the most (well, except for Upstate).

El Voce
03-02-2009, 09:47 AM
The team that worries me most in the Big Dance? The Zags! We have shown the ability to play with anybody, and we have shown the ability to lay an egg. If the "A Team" shows up consistently in the tourney, then I like our chances against just about anybody.

CDC84
03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
If GU were forced to play a 3-4 seed type in the 2nd round, Kansas would be near the top of the list of teams I'd want to play. Besides Collins and Aldrich (who played sparingly last year), they have almost zero NCAA tournament experience. They play a ton of freshmen, which isn't a good recipe for NCAA tournament success. And none of those freshmen are close to being a monster talent like Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose. More importantly, I honestly think Gonzaga has more really good players than they do when you factor in talent and experience......and that's something I would normally never say about Kansas in relation to Gonzaga.

Reborn
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I really don't think that Gonzaga's success or failure in the NCAA tournament will have that much to do with the other teams we play. I think our success will come down to how the Zags play, and specifically how we play on offense. Our defense has been good all year, even against Memphis. I also believe that in order for us to win there that we will need to be hitting three's and shootin well from the foul line.

rawkmandale
03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Micah Downs might score 40 if we play Kansas.

Zagsker
03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
They beat Mizzou bloody yesterday. On the boards, in the paint, in transition, in all aspects. And Mizou is good, and big, and mean..

ehhhh...Mizzou is allright....they just got on a hot streak....their schedule in the Big 12 has not been that tough...yes they won on the road at OK St and Texas (when Texas was in the middle of a slump)...they barely beat KU at home....and then their first tough road test (@KU) they get waxed........yeah...Mizzou is an OK team...nothing more nothing less

23dpg
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Butler

kyle dixon
03-02-2009, 02:35 PM
With the Butler call. Teams that shoot the three pointer well scare me . Last year they were provided a 7 seed after being a top ten team at the end of the season and they threw a major scare in to #2 Tennessee. The game went to overtime.

The only other team that scares me is Pitt. When Blair took Thabeet and flipped him over his back a couple weeks ago while snagging that rebound I thought two things. #1 that team is tough and #2 did Thabeet just break his arm. Thabeet was completely thrown off his game thereafter.

Robzagnut
03-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Big, physical teams that pound the boards. Pitt and Oklahoma scare me. Blake Griffin would get 25 rebounds against GU with 10-12 of them being offensive.

UConn doesn't scare me, because GU has Josh who can hit the outside jumper, which keeps Thabeet outside the key. Plus, GU has proven they can beat them.

CDC84
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Teams that shoot the three pointer well scare me

Avoid Cal then. As of Saturday, they were leading the nation in 3 point shooting percentage. They also have a guy who can coach a little.

HillBillyZag
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
If we get a six as expected, we would play either Davidson, Creighton, Utah State, or Siena, Given a choice I would like to face Sena or Davidson, but if we can defend the three we can win against any of the four.

siliconzag
03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
He is the kind of guy who shoots lights out and steals your chick. I read about him on the Dayton Board.

No Creighton please.

Sili

zagsdan86
03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
If we get a six as expected, we would play either Davidson, Creighton, Utah State, or Siena, Given a choice I would like to face Sena or Davidson, but if we can defend the three we can win against any of the four.

Creighton is not someone I'd want to see in the first round. In addition to being my school and wanting both teams to go as far as possible, Creighton has three or four legitimate threats to knock down threes in bunches, including Booker Woodfox, who leads the nation in 3-point shooting percentage at over 50%. The kid has an odd-looking shooting motion, but it always seems to go in. MDABE80 and siliconzag can also attest that there aren't many coaches better than CU's Dana Altman.

Edit: what Sili said, too

CDC84
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Based on what various bracketologists are saying, there appears to be a pretty good chance that Davidson, Utah State and Siena will need to win their league tourneys to make the NCAA tournament. It's really hard to imagine Steph Curry not being in the NCAA's, but it may happen.

MotoZag
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Micah Downs might score 40 if we play Kansas.

This one made me laugh. ^

Any team that has one major big, like a Thabeet or Blair doesn't scare me. It's when they have more then one 6'10"+ guy (much like us) that is athletic. They are teams after our own heart and we have a hard time matching up against teams similar in height and athleticism to us.

With each Zag having a good team, we can play ANYONE and be successful, which we saw early in the season. Jeremy is getting his confidence back, Daye's attitude is getting better overall, Micah is stroking the 3 well and getting inside layups/dunks, and Heytvelt and Boulding have been pretty consistent all year long. With all those cylinders hitting and the addition of Gray possibly getting his groove back, we're a very scary under the radar team.

We don't get near as much publicity as other teams, which makes us dangerous for any major conference team. Teams like Memphis know not to take us for granted (which is why they were able to kill us) because they come from the same underrated background with a generally weak conference. Our first and hopefully second round games will be our barometer for the dance. We play well in those and all Zag fans can rest assured that we came to play. Playing well doesn't mean winning by double digits either, but simply playing as a team and keeping the attitudes in check.

my 2 cents

MDABE80
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
If Jeremy comes alive AND we find some matchups without bigs who love rebounds, we'll be fine. If the above happens, it's the matchups. We don't matchup well with anyone. That's the magic of this underachieving team.

We're so long and so strong with great guys at the guards, it just amazes me how we've lost...let alone 5 times. We could use Rob or a big body who goes after rebounds, but we don't have one.

GU is so unique this year, it shouldn't matter too much who we play outside of Pitt and UNC. I'd hate to play the Creighton team in their stride. 2 very fine big athletic kids down low. Woodfox is no 1 in 3's and way high in 2's. Dana demands defense. Tip od the hat to the Jays. Our own guys might surprise if they keep momentum and do what they do best. Score and play court defense...not rebound defense. I've given up on that. A bit of luck and it's on to the Swt 16. Luck to the E8. We'll see.the 2nd season is about ready to tip off. We're as good as anyone until we lose;)

rawkmandale
03-03-2009, 12:13 AM
We're as good as anyone until we lose;)

Thank you for this great Yogiism. Yes, we are. Frankly, it's about looking across the chasm, and doing what Rochestie did against Arizona State - hit the shot, baby! His thought was: "this shot HAS to go in." That is what needs to happen for Gonzaga to advance deep. The guys have to know it can happen. I think having the 5 seniors is the key. Those are likely the guys who know that "this shot HAS to go in." I'd be tempted to have the 5 seniors on the floor in the last 2 minutes of a close game - yes, even Sorenson. Win or lose with the guys who are leaving it all behind.

rawkmandale
03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Hmmmm....maybe we SHOULD play that Sorenson kid a little more. Thank you, seniors.