PDA

View Full Version : Bud Withers article in the Seattle Times

Radbooks
03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
This is an interesting article that was just posted on the Seattle Times website:

Ten years ago this month, the Gonzaga basketball team blew into KeyArena as everybody's favorite underdog. The average fan didn't know a lot about the Zags, just that he liked them. In a magical 48 hours, Gonzaga brushed aside scandal-plagued Minnesota and second-seeded Stanford, launching a run to the Elite Eight that didn't fizzle until it had taken eventual national champion Connecticut to the wire.

Context was impossible then; all we knew was that it was a great story, a school winning NCAA men's basketball tournament games for the first time. But it kept going, and kept going Sweet 16 appearances in 2000 and 2001 and pretty soon, what began as cute morphed into colossus.

Certainly, there are signs Gonzaga has leveled off, maybe reached a competitive peak that cannot be surpassed. For the first time in those 10 years, the Zags have been eliminated from the NCAA tournament in the opening round in consecutive seasons.

What can't be disputed is that Gonzaga has changed dramatically in 10 years, not only the profile of the basketball program but the university. Name a piece in this mosaic of evolution and chances are, it bears marks of the Zags' 10-year renaissance national branding, revenues generated, TV desirability, school enrollment, and just possibly, a heightened (and often misguided) belief that it could happen at other schools.

"They've done a tremendous job," concedes Dick Davey, former coach at Santa Clara. "It's almost a freak of nature."

All because some guys got good at shooting a basketball inside a steel ring.

The rest of the article can be found here (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2008800761_zags02.html?syndication=rss).

Section 116
03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice find Radbooks. Bud Withers has written much about Gonzaga, most all of it it the most postive light. I find this piece to be typically well written and researched, which is something at which Withers excels. Two of the most interesting bits of information for me are:

"The Zags ranked 56th in 2008 among Collegiate Licensing Company's 200 schools, a solid spot for a school that has no football program."

As a guy who spends too much on athletic apparel it is simply astounding the Zags are very near the top 25% of Collegiate Licensing Co. 200 schools, when as stated there is no football program.

Also toward the end of the article:

"We'd be a really good fit," Roth says facetiously, "for the Big East."

I think the Zags would compete very well, witness our recent heartbreaking loss to UConn. I feel quite certain we would finish in the top five or six on a regular basis, and certainly at times compete for the championship. Alas, geography dictates this will never happen.

BoZarth
03-01-2009, 09:11 PM
for WCC fans from Portland to San Diego. Gonzaga's success trickles down to each school and I for one cheer to their success when not playing the Zags.

Go Zags!!!!

NorthWestZag
03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
I found Roth's quotes very interesting. I would expect the usual, "We have been in the WCC for decades, we like this league, ect."

Instead, he said that nobody is holding a gun to our head to stay in the WCC and that we would be a perfect fit in the Big East.

One scenario I think would be interesting is if we could join the Mountain West, especially if they move into the BCS in football. The Mountain West is a very competitive athletic conference.

rawkmandale
03-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Sidenote: it is REALLY important to go further in the NCAA than the UW, given the results of the Seattle Times poll attached to this article - 76% thinking the Huskies are more worthy.

Seattle is SO arrogant.

FuManShoes
03-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Sidenote: it is REALLY important to go further in the NCAA than the UW, given the results of the Seattle Times poll attached to this article - 76% thinking the Huskies are more worthy.

Seattle is SO arrogant.

A joke, right? I don't think it's arrogant for fans of a school in one city to register their opinion in an online poll that their team will go deeper than a team in another city, especially seeing as the Zags didn't beat the teams on their schedule that would have given them bragging rights over UW. And the fact that a Seattle writer expended yet more ink chronicling the Zags' rise to power deals another blow to the claim that "Seattle is SO arrogant." I for one hope both UW and GU both do well in the Tourney, if only to help save what has been a pretty lackluster season for hoops out West, and a dismal period for Seattle sports in particular.

ZagNative
03-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Great post, FuMan! My sentiments exactly!

maineblackbear
03-02-2009, 07:22 AM
i have heard it bandied about (totally unsubstantiated speculation) that Seattle U's WCC application would go better if GU went to another conference, such as the Mountain West. I would not like it as academically, we are far more suited to compete with LMU, Santa Clara, USD, etc., but athletically it makes some sense. this is not a real rumor, nor am i trying to start one, just speculation from someone at SU. mbb

former1dog
03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
i have heard it bandied about (totally unsubstantiated speculation) that Seattle U's WCC application would go better if GU went to another conference, such as the Mountain West. I would not like it as academically, we are far more suited to compete with LMU, Santa Clara, USD, etc., but athletically it makes some sense. this is not a real rumor, nor am i trying to start one, just speculation from someone at SU. mbb

We are only a fit in basketball and only for the last 10 years... Every other sport, we are a perfect fit for the WCC.

75Zag
03-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Don't mean to turn this into a "leave the WCC" thread because that horse appears to have died in the starting gate, but I am wondering whether it is possible for one D-1 school to play different sports in different conferences. I think I vaguely recall that at one point in time, the GU baseball team competed in a different league than the GU basketball team? May have been 20 years ago or longer. Am I mistaken?

UberZagFan
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Don't mean to turn this into a "leave the WCC" thread because that horse appears to have died in the starting gate, but I am wondering whether it is possible for one D-1 school to play different sports in different conferences. I think I vaguely recall that at one point in time, the GU baseball team competed in a different league than the GU basketball team? May have been 20 years ago or longer. Am I mistaken?

Nope. GU played Pac-10 North baseball up until it joined the WCC in 1996. In 1994, Hertz was named Pac-10 North coach of the year.

LoveMyZags
03-02-2009, 10:27 AM
"We'd be a really good fit," Roth says facetiously, "for the Big East."

I think the Zags would compete very well, witness our recent heartbreaking loss to UConn. I feel quite certain we would finish in the top five or six on a regular basis, and certainly at times compete for the championship. Alas, geography dictates this will never happen.

I beg to differ. The ACC and Big East play a different kind of game than the West Coast in general, much less the WCC. Yes, we hung with UCONN for a game, but multiply that by 16. Yikes...that is a tough schedule, a tough pull and pretty impossible for our little program. I think a bunch of the "Mid Majors" should just get together and form our own league - Memphis, Xavier, Dayton, Butler, etc. Get out of current leagues and beat up on someone our own size, but no goliath. Goliath can wait until March...

CDC84
03-02-2009, 10:35 AM
But if Gonzaga played in the Big East or ACC (which would never happen, of course), they would have access to better recruits and would be able to play a far less daunting non-conference schedule....consisting mostly of home games. This program has lost several high level recruits the last 10 years for no other reason than its conference affiliation. As sad as it may be, the WCC is used against Gonzaga in the recruiting wars. There is a lot of pressure put on many of these kids to play in BCS conferences. Unlike most non-BCS teams, I think the Zags brand name is so strong right now that if they moved to a BCS league, Few and Co. would start cleaning up talent almost immediately. It would be a seamless transition.

bullzag23
03-02-2009, 10:51 AM

It is possible, although quite rare for a school to do this. Just take for example the current situation of Notre Dame athletics. Currently the basketball team is in the Big East, while Football is an independent. I'm not sure how the other sports line up, but this is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Spike94
03-02-2009, 11:30 AM
The WCC fits GU and GU fits the WCC. Yes we are and have been for awhile the best Basketball team in the league. However, when looking at the WCC as a whole, we don't win league titles on a regular basis. And people seem too think that the WCC isn't competitive. Baseball, and soccer are great examples of how good WCC teams are in their sports. What happens heaven forbid if we have a couple of down years. Lets put this into perspective. As a whole the WCC is a great conference for GU.

mainer6
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
A joke, right? I don't think it's arrogant for fans of a school in one city to register their opinion in an online poll that their team will go deeper than a team in another city, especially seeing as the Zags didn't beat the teams on their schedule that would have given them bragging rights over UW. And the fact that a Seattle writer expended yet more ink chronicling the Zags' rise to power deals another blow to the claim that "Seattle is SO arrogant." I for one hope both UW and GU both do well in the Tourney, if only to help save what has been a pretty lackluster season for hoops out West, and a dismal period for Seattle sports in particular.

I have been a Huskies fan since childhood,but....when the Huskies do well, there is an added draw for in-state players to play there. As much as I like the Huskies, they are GU's #1 recruiting rival and it doesn't benefit the Zags to have the Huskies going deeper into the tournament. I for one want them to do just a little worse than GU in the tourney.

former1dog
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
The WCC fits GU and GU fits the WCC. Yes we are and have been for awhile the best Basketball team in the league. However, when looking at the WCC as a whole, we don't win league titles on a regular basis. And people seem too think that the WCC isn't competitive. Baseball, and soccer are great examples of how good WCC teams are in their sports. What happens heaven forbid if we have a couple of down years. Lets put this into perspective. As a whole the WCC is a great conference for GU.

+1. Exactly right!

rawkmandale
03-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I have been a Huskies fan since childhood,but....when the Huskies do well, there is an added draw for in-state players to play there. As much as I like the Huskies, they are GU's #1 recruiting rival and it doesn't benefit the Zags to have the Huskies going deeper into the tournament. I for one want them to do just a little worse than GU in the tourney.

I also am a long-time Husky fan, and a UW graduate, having attended most home games 1967-1970 (still have some souvenier programs), and it's great if they go deep - just not as deep as GU. There is a general arrogance in Seattle toward anything in the NW that is not Seattle (they give a bit of grace to Portland - but certainly not to Spokane or much else in Eastern Washington - maybe the Methow Valley - maybe the Walla Walla wine country). It's always good when they finish second to something else in the State of Washington - good for their souls. However, I was pleased they won the Pac-10, but will be rooting for WSU this week - the Cougars need it more.

brian_sun
03-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I also am a long-time Husky fan, and a UW graduate, having attended most home games 1967-1970 (still have some souvenier programs), and it's great if they go deep - just not as deep as GU. There is a general arrogance in Seattle toward anything in the NW that is not Seattle (they give a bit of grace to Portland - but certainly not to Spokane or much else in Eastern Washington - maybe the Methow Valley - maybe the Walla Walla wine country). It's always good when they finish second to something else in the State of Washington - good for their souls. However, I was pleased they won the Pac-10, but will be rooting for WSU this week - the Cougars need it more.

let me get this straight: you went to UW and you root for the Cougs this weekend? As a UW alum, I would NEVER root for the Cougs, no matter how much they need the win. No, we haven't won the Pac-10. We've only clinched a tie. So Saturday's game against WSU is huge. We want to win the first out right Pac 10 title in more than 50 years. You have a great incentive to NOT root for the Cougs.

brian_sun
03-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Seattle is SO arrogant.

Of course Seattle is going to think UW is more worthy. I bet if the same poll is posted on the Spokane Spokesman Review, the result will be the opposite. The Zags have a great team and coach Few has done a great job. I know this board has a negative impression on coach Romar because they think Romar backed out from the UW-GU series, but all coach Romar did at UW after a 10-17 first year, was won 62.6% of the league games in the Pac 10, and will take UW to its 4th NCAA tournaments in its last 6 years. People here say the Huskies players don't develop under coach Romar. They ridiculed how Dentmon sucked at the beginning of the season. Well, look at him now. Did he develop in his 4 year career in UW? He sure did! Our other seniors, Brockman and Pondexter sure did too. You take into the account that IT will probably be thre Pac 10 freshman of the year, then you have a pretty good team. It will get even better next year when Gaddy gets to our campus. The Brandon Roy, the Nate Robinson will continue to serve as great examples that players CAN develop under coach Romar and continue on to the NBA to have successful careers. Coach Romar has done a tremendous job, and we are honored and lucky to have such a high character guy, such a bright basketball mind and such a tiredless recruiter to be our head coach. Lorenzo Romar will be the Don James of our basketball program and guide this team to be one of the top 3 programs in our conference.

CB4
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Pure speculation, but lets look at it for the sake of it.

Gonzaga Sponsored Sports/No. of teams in Pac-10

Men

Baseball/10
Basketball/10
Cross Country/8
Golf/10
Rowing/7
Soccer/6 (inc. SDSU)
Tennis/7
Track/9

Women

Basketball/10
Cross Country/10
Golf/10
Rowing/8
Soccer/10
Tennis/9
Track/10
Volleyball/10

I don't know how scheduling works for some sports, but its safe to assume that an odd number of teams works in the following: Tennis, Rowing, Cross Country, Golf, Track.

Basketball, soccer, and volleyball probably all an equal number of teams. Baseball could most likely play with an odd number due to the greater number of games they play.

Another note: the Pac-10 has a number of affiliated schools in a number of sports including wrestling, soccer, and I think there are a few more.

drogba11
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Agreed! Its also to bad the Omar won't play the zags... I really don't understand the guy. I think the GU staff does a better job preparing for games and I believe we make it further come March. Omar is simply afraid of the Bulldog.

brian_sun
03-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Agreed! Its also to bad the Omar won't play the zags... I really don't understand the guy. I think the GU staff does a better job preparing for games and I believe we make it further come March. Omar is simply afraid of the Bulldog.

Just curious, why do you call him Omar? Why did you use a Muslim name to call him? Is this a racist thing?

FuManShoes
03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Just curious, why do you call him Omar? Why did you use a Muslim name to call him? Is this a racist thing?

Maybe he's confusing The Romar with The Omar

The Romar
http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/june02/images/briefings_romar.jpg

The Omar
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/stories/2009/jan/29/spt_29_samhan_cover_01-29-2009_JMF8UDQ.jpg

MDABE80
03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Brian......it's 4 of 7. Quincy is a junior isn't he?

2002-2003 Washington 10-17 5-13 9th
2003-2004 Washington 19-12 12-6 2nd NCAA First Round
2004-2005 Washington 29-6 14-4 2nd NCAA Sweet 16
2005-2006 Washington 26-7 13-5 2nd NCAA Sweet 16
2006-2007 Washington 19-13 8-10 7th
2007-2008 Washington 16-17 7-11 8th CBI First Round
2008-2009 Washington 22-7 13-4 1st ???

And that CBI loss killed all of us;) Did they refund? ;)