PDA

View Full Version : Defense - I found this very interesting...

BobZag
03-01-2009, 03:24 PM
and promising for the future.

Unlike the offensive-minded 2004 and 2006 Zags, this team did it primarily with defense. Gonzaga on average held conference opponents to 36.4-percent shooting and 60.4 points. The Bulldogs limited San Diego to 47 points in both games this season and kept five other WCC opponents in the 50s.

Its maybe not your standard-looking (defense), head coach Mark Few said. Its based on length and were able to do some switching because our guards are big and our bigs can move their feet a little, but its been pretty effective for us."

This was quite interesting and revealing, but perhaps even more than that I don't think we will see a drop off next year and beyond. Certainly Josh and Micah are long and the team loses them this year, but the incoming frosh are very long. Sam Dower has a wide wingspan. Mangisto and Bol are very long. Andy Poling is long. Kelly Olynyk is long. Only Elias Harris lacks great length but he's longer than Ira!. With Daye (long) returning, I assume... I do not foresee any drop off in the successful defense Few & Co. employed this season.

I also think it's a very good blend of bulk and quickness with Meech, Matt, Rob, Grant and Gray mixing in with those long fellows.

In short, outstanding recruiting to fit Few's system on both ends.

Thoughts?

pbriz
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I think this is very promising for the future. This years team had to adjust to Few's new defensive schemes and had to iron out some of the details.

With some of these details gone and an even more physical center in Sacre, the defense should be absolutely fantastic next year.

montanazag88
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Love the attention to defense...with such offensive talent in bank, it is a nice reputation to build - along with returning to the days of "ruling the paint."

theirishzag03
03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Makes it hard to focus on this year sometimes! Next couple years could be crazy-good! I doubt Elias benches 365 either:), but WOW just rattling off all those names and they are all contributors right away. Deep, Deep, Deep!!!

Only thing I hate to see is our guards sagging in (too much) and running out at the shooters (late) as they release a 3 pointer. I know, maybe, it help 2pt- FG%, but it sure is frustrating to watch!

CDC84
03-01-2009, 10:16 PM
What excites me is having both Kong AND Arop on the same team. Maybe it's just me, but I always like to have a 6-5 to 6-7, high athletic wing with a good wingspan for defensive purposes. It was really nice having an Erroll Knight (when healthy) or an Anthony Reason in the program. The Zags really don't have that right now.

Gonzaga will not only be getting one, but two of these kinds of guys on next year's team. Both Manny and Bol are highly athletic, and both possess 7 foot wingspans. I know Arop plays hard on the defensive end. Whether they turn out to be great defenders remains to be seen, but they have some physical tools to get excited about.

Nevtelen
03-02-2009, 12:41 AM
At least defensively, GU reminds me more and more of Memphis - both long, athletic teams that are very good defensively with lots of deflections, blocks, and solid 2-pt fg% D. GU seems a little more traditional at times in terms of having a 1-5 whereas Memphis seems to be a little more freeflowing on a lot of roles. But both teams depend on length and athleticism on the defensive end and it serves them well. With the new players coming in, I think GU might look even more like Memphis defensively.

bigblahla
03-02-2009, 06:26 AM
At least defensively, GU reminds me more and more of Memphis - both long, athletic teams that are very good defensively with lots of deflections, blocks, and solid 2-pt fg% D. GU seems a little more traditional at times in terms of having a 1-5 whereas Memphis seems to be a little more freeflowing on a lot of roles. But both teams depend on length and athleticism on the defensive end and it serves them well. With the new players coming in, I think GU might look even more like Memphis defensively.

Funny you posted this because I had the same thoguht. If you are looking for a successful blueprint Memphis is a great place to look. I'm picking Memphis to go to the final four.

Go!! Zags!!!

EngineerZag
03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Hopefully the better defense will soon be matched by better defensive rebounding. It's a bit misleading to note the stat of being #1 in the nation in defensive FG% because we also give up a lot of offensive rebounds to teams. It's great to hold your opponent to 37% from the field, but if they get a lot of offensive rebounds and get more looks at the basket, the true percentage you are giving up is significantly higher.

Coach Few has emphasized various weak points over the years in response to problems encountered during the season, and it seems like as he turns to one problem, another one crops up. I remember distinctly after we got killed on the boards against Michigan State in the S16, the next year he really emphasized rebounding and we became the #1 rebounding team in the nation that year. This season he's emphasized defense and we've become the #1 defensive FG % team in the nation. Now some attention needs to be turned back to rebounding to get the complete package. Wouldn't it be awesome to see our Zags defend like they do AND secure the rebound at the end of the possession? :)

ZagLawGrad
03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Just be sure to defend the 3's fellas

edcasey
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
could I suggest that the extreme sagging and helping on the 2 point shots is a mechanism to protect our limited big men. If you dont collapse the middle and help on post as much as we have been doing you are demanding your post players to provide the stellar defense. not normally an issue if you had Sacre coming in to spell foul trouble or give breaks, but we dont, so my guess (educated but still guess) is the extreme help and sag is partially by design to limit the damage that a normal defense can create with your post player and foul trouble.

I like the way we are playing and have all year long