PDA

View Full Version : Pumped for Senior Night

NotoriousZ
03-01-2009, 10:27 AM
We have to say goodbye to Josh, Jeremy, Micah, Andrew, and Ira!. But we get to see them start the game--hopefully they're all in there for at least the first six or seven minutes. I can't wait to see Mr. Sorenson start in his first game! There will be tears in my eyes, it's been a great run for this team.

Should be lots of fun (I get to go to K2 for this one) and I can't wait for the WCC tourny and the NCAA's! I've got a good feeling about a deep run this year...GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Akzag
03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
It isn't often that there are five members of the same class going out.

And you know - shrug - it is a pretty darn good starting five.

For the majority of us that will not be there, we will be expecting photos, heart-warming personal accounts, and posted videos asap.

*sniff* - I'm already getting all Verklempt ...

gamagin
03-01-2009, 11:47 AM
It isn't often that there are five members of the same class going out.

And you know - shrug - it is a pretty darn good starting five.

For the majority of us that will not be there, we will be expecting photos, heart-warming personal accounts, and posted videos asap.

*sniff* - I'm already getting all Verklempt ...

and you are right fwiw, it is a very special night. Few called it bittersweet.

I remember this board last year lamenting the loss of Pendo and Kuso.

And here go five more highly valued, beloved, Zags . . .

CDC84
03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
This will be a really emotional senior night.

Heytvelt and Downs had to go thru so much in their college careers in terms of injuries, off the court issues, etc. The Heytvelt story, in particular, is utterly compelling. Many people wanted him off the team, and even if they didn't, they were rightfully pissed at him for what he did. However, I think Few understood what many of us did: that Josh is a good kid, and that he was capable of turning his life around for the better. He has done so. The news of him making the all-WCC academic team as a graduate student, among many over things, makes a lot of his troubles from the past seem like a distant memory.

But the most inspirational story for me is Jeremy Pargo. In fact, he's one of the most inspirational stories in the history of the program.

Gonzaga was the only high level program that hung in there with his academic issues coming out of high school. And frankly, there were some people on this board (who will remain nameless) who hated Gonzaga even getting involved with him..that Jeremy wasn't "Zag Material," and that Gonzaga was "selling its soul" for basketball success.

I have been waiting 4 years for this moment.

I continued to argue that the GU staff would not be going after this kid if they didn't feel he possessed the personal character and work ethic to succeed at Gonzaga. I've just seen too many inner city kids blossom once they got into an academic environment with great teachers, and without having to worry about such nuisances like gangs, violence, guns, drugs, etc. All the usual stuff that the average Gonzaga student is fortunate enough to not have to deal with during their childhood.

I will never forget Few spending extra time with Pargo when he first arrived at Gonzaga, because he was really afraid of Jeremy making the social adjustment. I don't think it takes too much imagination to realize the extreme difference between Spokane and the ghetto in Chicago. But it didn't take very long for students to hop on this board with stories about what such a character he was, how funny he was, how he loved his cheeseburgers, and how much the student body liked him overall.

Jeremy has had some ups and downs as a player, but if he isn't "Zag Material," I don't know what qualifies as "Zag Material." The coaching staff, and the university as a whole, deserve a lot of credit for taking him on despite some of the criticism. But Jeremy deserves a ton of credit for recognizing the opportunity that was given to him, and taking advantage of it. When he makes his senior night speech, and when he walks across that aisle with his Gonzaga degree, he will have paid back the university in more ways than can be described in words.

bigblahla
03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
This will be a really emotional senior night.

Heytvelt and Downs had to go thru so much in their college careers in terms of injuries, off the court issues, etc. The Heytvelt story, in particular, is utterly compelling. Many people wanted him off the team, and even if they didn't, they were rightfully pissed at him for what he did. However, I think Few understood what many of us did: that Josh is a good kid, and that he was capable of turning his life around for the better. He has done so. The news of him making the all-WCC academic team as a graduate student, among many over things, makes a lot of his troubles from the past seem like a distant memory.

But the most inspirational story for me is Jeremy Pargo. In fact, he's one of the most inspirational stories in the history of the program.

Gonzaga was the only high level program that hung in there with his academic issues coming out of high school. And frankly, there were some people on this board (who will remain nameless) who hated Gonzaga even getting involved with him..that Jeremy wasn't "Zag Material," and that Gonzaga was "selling its soul" for basketball success.

I have been waiting 4 years for this moment.

I continued to argue that the GU staff would not be going after this kid if they didn't feel he possessed the personal character and work ethic to succeed at Gonzaga. I've just seen too many inner city kids blossom once they got into an academic environment with great teachers, and without having to worry about such nuisances like gangs, violence, guns, drugs, etc. All the usual stuff that the average Gonzaga student is fortunate enough to not have to deal with during their childhood.

I will never forget Few spending extra time with Pargo when he first arrived at Gonzaga, because he was really afraid of Jeremy making the social adjustment. I don't think it takes too much imagination to realize the extreme difference between Spokane and the ghetto in Chicago. But it didn't take very long for students to hop on this board with stories about what such a character he was, how funny he was, how he loved his cheeseburgers, and how much the student body liked him overall.

Jeremy has had some ups and downs as a player, but if he isn't "Zag Material," I don't know what qualifies as "Zag Material." The coaching staff, and the university as a whole, deserve a lot of credit for taking him on despite some of the criticism. But Jeremy deserves a ton of credit for recognizing the opportunity that was given to him, and taking advantage of it. When he makes his senior night speech, and when he walks across that aisle with his Gonzaga degree, he will have paid back the university in more ways than can be described in words.

As usual CDC hits the nail on the head. Great post and a great bunch of young men who we are all proud of and yes we will miss all of you when it's time but hopefully that will be after 9 more games.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagmantis2001
03-01-2009, 12:43 PM
One of the best games of the year.

Unfortunately, I've heard that not all of the student seats were taken and were on sale to the general public. Hopefully this is not true and, if it is true, it wasn't that many.

Anyone from the kennel club have the scoop on this?

BobZag
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Sadly, I know folks who still hate Josh, Pargo, etc., for the reasons CDC pointed out. Amazing.

GonzagaDynasty
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior night always brings tears to my eyes... Especially with this year. Like you guys said, with everything Josh has gone through, he made it, and he is a better man for it. I cant wait to see Josh in the NBA.

As for Pargo, Everyone says he's a great kid, and thats all that I care about. He's been a fantastic Zag and Im going to miss his smile and his fire. This senior class ranks up there with the class of 2000 IMO.

El Voce
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
CDC -- I consider that your best post ever!

Your friend in Spokane,

The Voice

jim77
03-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Bravo CDC.

This fan really appreciates players who sacrifice their game(with million dollar contracts hanging over their heads) for the good of their team. Thanks for everything JP. Thanks Josh for showing us what the definition of OVERCOMER is all about....you are one talented fellow! Thanks Micah for showing a huge heart on the team and also sacificing you're gifts for the team. You're hustle is much appreciated...and I love the hops! Thanks IRA for stepping up and filling in a position usually reserved for much taller folks.....but certainly not TOUGHER! I still have visions of you flying down the lane while catching a pass from SG.....and nearly tearing the rim down! You turned that TN game around. Thanks Andrew for showing more enthusiasm then should be allowed by law!

I have a ton of respect for these guys as all have overcome much to get where they are.......now go kick some --- in the dance!